8 posts
Page 1 of 1
I feel like I must not be understanding something. The price for Studio One Artist 5 is $99.95. The price of an AudioBox USB 96 is also $99.95. The AudioBox USB 96, from what I can tell, includes a fully-licensed copy of Studio One Artist 5. So why would anyone just purchase the software rather than purchase an interface which comes with the software for the same price? Even if you only want the software, you could purchase the interface, keep the included software for yourself, and sell the interface on eBay.

The reason I'm asking about this is I'm looking to upgrade from Studio One Artist 3 to 5. The upgrade would cost me $49.95. I'm thinking for $50 more I might as well purchase an AudioBox USB 96 (or better) which would be an upgrade over my current AudioBox USB (discontinued version). But I'm not confident the software that would be included with the new interface is really what I want, namely: a fully-licensed version of Studio One Artist 5.

Thanks anyone who can help
by SwitchBack on Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:23 pm
Yes, and you're right, and it comes with S1 Artist full version.

My reasoning is that S1 is 'only' software so it doesn't cost PreSonus a penny to include it. So if it can help to sell an interface... And it may still sell an upgrade to Professional later on.

Personally I wouldn't pick the USB96 because it has no line inputs. Unless mics and guitars is all you're ever going to use it with I'd rather go for an interface that takes line inputs too :)
by robertaccardi on Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:29 pm
Oh wow. That's good advice. All this time (well, a couple weeks anyway, as I've just gotten started recording) I've been connecting a line level source into my AudioBox USB. That probably explains why I've had to keep my input gain to the lowest possible setting on my interface.
by gregghart on Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:25 am
Honestly, I'd save up and just go with Pro. But that's just me.

Win11, 12th Gen Intel Core i7-12700K (3.60 GHz), 32GB Ram. Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88 Mark 2, Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 Mark 1, Presonus FaderPort 8.

https://www.midiboy.com

https://gregghart.bandcamp.com
by SwitchBack on Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:00 am
Even if Pro is the goal it’s still a balance between new PreSonus interface + upgrade to Pro (eventually) or no new interface + Pro at full price :)

PS. There’s also an upgrade path from older version Artist to newest version Artist. So if low on money then that’s an option too. Or go for Sphere to get access to S1 Pro with all the works + Notion.
by IanM5 on Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:51 am
SwitchBack wrotePersonally I wouldn't pick the USB96 because it has no line inputs. Unless mics and guitars is all you're ever going to use it with I'd rather go for an interface that takes line inputs too :)

I've never understood why it doesn't support line inputs. Loads of people need to feed in a synth or a phone or something.

Heavy-handed moderation can strangle a forum
by SwitchBack on Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:28 am
Horses for courses. There’s also loads of people only needing mic inputs and maybe an instrument input. Compared to an instrument input a line input is a way more complicated affair for being balanced and using part of the mic input’s amplifier stages. So if you don’t need it then why pay for it. But it does make the interface less versatile.

Oh, and there is of course a bonafide solution to connect line sources to mic inputs: a (stereo) DI box. One could argue that with long cable runs a DI box is the only bonafide solution to connect unbalanced line sources to a mixer or interface. Because a good DI provides the ground lift and balancing at the source, to prevent nasty hums and ground loops ;)
by mycbeats on Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:55 am
SwitchBack wroteYes, and you're right, and it comes with S1 Artist full version.

My reasoning is that S1 is 'only' software so it doesn't cost PreSonus a penny to include it. So if it can help to sell an interface... And it may still sell an upgrade to Professional later on.

This. Artist is a gateway. You're buying your first interface and the daw that greets you first is S1. Later looking into getting plugins, you see the fat channel bundle. Time for some monitors? Ooh the Eris look good.

Your $99 interface with a free DAW has now snowballed to $1000+, your family have left you, and you have to attend GAS-A seminars (Gear acquisition syndrome Anonymous). :thumbup:

Toronto, Canada
Project engineer by day, sound connoisseur by night.

Main Rig: Windows 11 (21H2) 64-bit, Ryzen 3900x, 32GB RAM, RTX 2060, dual 4K Monitors
Presonus 192, Faderport v2, Atom SQ, Akai Advance 49, Keystation 61 mk3, 2x Behringer X-Touch Mini + way too many synths.

Mobile Rig: MBP M1/16GB, Atom SQ, IOstation

8 posts
Page 1 of 1