11 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm a complete newbie so bear with me.
I'm trying to start recording a song in Studio One 4 professional. Everything is up to date, but my audio is crackling. Whether recording a guitar track or playing around with the different instrument plugins I get a crackling sound. I saw some videos saying to try to change the sample rate, and no matter what I switch it to it doesn't fix the issue.

I'm plugging my guitar into Input 1 on the Presonus Quantum interface with the instrument button pressed in. The interface is connected via Thunderbolt. My CPU meter is at a constant 3%. Highest I've seen it jump is to 10%

I'm running it on an Alienware Area 51-m Laptop.

Specs:

Lithium Ion (90 Wh) Battery
Killer(TM) Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2x2) 802.11ax Wireless and Bluetooth 5.1
180W Power Adapter and 180W Power Adapter
17.3" FHD (1920 x 1080) 60Hz Anti-Glare IPS Display
1TB (+8GB SSHD) Hybrid Drive
16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 at 2400MHz
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6 (OC Ready)
Windows 10 Pro (64bit) English
9th Generation Intel Core i7-9700 (8-Core, 12MB Cache, up to 4.7GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
Killer 1650X Wireless driver

Please help! This is driving me crazy!
by Jemusic on Sat May 16, 2020 8:21 pm
What is the input level meter showing you on the front panel of the Quantum? What is the Input level coming into Studio One. How are you connecting the Quantum to your computer? (via Thunderbolt I assume) Is your thunderbolt cable OK. Are you running the latest Quantum driver?

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8 and 2018- Atom Pad- iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V4.6.1 (Mac), Notion 6.5, Ableton Live 10 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by davidparker16 on Sat May 16, 2020 8:25 pm
The input meter on Quantum is at -20db, so its only pushing up to the third dot on the meter.
The input meter on my track in studio one is going up to -9db. I'm not clipping anywhere.

I'm connected through the Thunderbolt input on the side of my Laptop. How do I check my Quantum driver? As far as I'm aware all my firmware is up to date.
Last edited by davidparker16 on Sat May 16, 2020 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by Jemusic on Sat May 16, 2020 8:28 pm
Have you downloaded the latest version of Universal Control. Checked firmware and made sure you have got the latest driver updates etc..Quantum is fast latency wise so even very low buffer settings should be fine.

What exact version of Studio One are you running? Set Dropout protection to Minimum as well.

OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8 and 2018- Atom Pad- iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V4.6.1 (Mac), Notion 6.5, Ableton Live 10 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by davidparker16 on Sat May 16, 2020 8:30 pm
Universal Control is up to date. Thunderbolt cable is brand spanking new. Literally everything is brand new. The only thing I'm unaware of is how to check the driver you're talking about.
by Jemusic on Sat May 16, 2020 8:32 pm
If Universal Control is up to date then the driver should be as well. Try Dropout Protection to Minimum as well. Should always be on Minimum. It is certainly not a level issue. Try turning your Wifi OFF as well to see if its got something to do with this. Are there any other apps running in the background. Studio One should be the ONLY app running.

by davidparker16 on Sat May 16, 2020 8:33 pm
I'm on version 4.6.1.55987
by davidparker16 on Sat May 16, 2020 9:03 pm
nope other apps are running. I deleted every other app I had. gonna restart now, but I honestly don't think memory or cpu is the issue.
by Tacman7 on Sun May 17, 2020 7:15 am
Crackling is a sign that the computer can't keep up with what you want it to do.

When you lower the latency you're asking the computer to work harder, do the same amount of work in less time.

That's how you find out what latency setting you can use, keep lowering the buffer until you get artifacts (crackling) and go to the next higher setting.

What latency are you running?

Forum Moderator.

Studio Computer
Studio OnePro 4 64bit Melodyne Studio
Win10 i7 7700k 16gb ram 1TB SSD AsusH270M-PLUS interface:StudioKonnekt 48
Nectar Impact LX25+

Kitchen Computer
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Radeon RX 590 - 16GB DDR4 3000MHz - 512GB SSD interface:Komplete Audio 6
by scottyo7 on Sun May 17, 2020 5:06 pm
I'd guess it's latency also but if that's not it - check that the updates for Win 10 released (users are reporting audio issues) on Tuesday May 12th, didn't mess you up. Also there are reports this past week of thunderbolt updates causing issues.

If you've haven't already... Please add your Signature & Gear Info to your Profile Create yours here .
-ASUS i7 Laptop; 16GB; 2 Samsung SSD's; NVIDIA 670MX; Win 10 Home x64.
-S1 Pro 4.6.1; EZD2 2.1.8. Behringer UMC404HD USB A/I.
Synths: Camel Audio Alchemy, Air Tech Music Suite, UVI Digital Synsations.
-Melodyne Studio 4.2.4. Ozone 5, Scuffham S-Gear 2.95, Eleven Rack (all 64bit).
-Akai MPK249. 6 guitars, two Line 6 POD's & an E-bow.
-Fluid Audio FX8 monitors; Dual 28" Displays. Rode NT1; SM58. Faderport;

-My Band: "2GUYZINABASEMENT"
-Just Me
by stefanvan on Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:02 am
I'm having the exact same issue using a Studio 2|6c. The remarkable thing is that it flawlessly runs heavy projects using Windows Audio drivers with latency at 100 ms but this way I practically cannot use my external input devices such as a keyboard. I need to be running on the Studio USB drivers for that.

I've been having this problem for over a year, and it also occurs in exactly the same way with my Focusrite 2i2 2nd gen and on a different system as well. Therefore I think it's a Windows 10 update issue. I've been thinking the problem was on me or my system but now with a different audio interface and a fresh installation of Windows it seems to be something more universally occurring. I really want to see it resolved as I want to start using my external devices much more.

11 posts
Page 1 of 1