5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Sorry, total newbie question, but I've found the forum helpful when I get stuck or can't figure out things that seem simple.

I'm doing some automation tests on my next SO piece. For this I will need to automate several XY pads in an instrument. As a test, I'm just doing two.

I was able to record automation, but somehow it wrote it to the track itself, and I want it in lanes below the track. I was able to get the parameters in separate lanes, but there is a problem. Both sliders on the parameters will read the automation data from the track (I can see the sliders move back and forth), but I can't get the actual envelope moved from the main track to the lanes (and the actual data does not display in the lanes). I want to be able to see the curves so that I can tweak what is there instead of recording new changes.

I've added a screenshot to show the problem.

I'm sure the solution is simple, but I can't figure it out. Can anyone explain how to fix this? Thanks in advance for your help!

SO_Automation_Screenshot_smaller.png
Screenshot of automation on track and automation lanes.

Steve

by smueske on Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:20 pm
Okay, I see what is going on here. The blue line in separate automation lanes only displays data if the automation is for track automation, such as volume, pan, etc. For instrument automation, you can display the lane, but the blue line does not reflect the automation envelope; the representative fader on the track will move but the track itself does not display the envelope. To edit the envelope, you have to go to the edit tab and find the corresponding parameter on the tab in the list below the piano roll.

So I guess there are two issues, which is kind of frustrating for me (maybe I'm still doing something wrong?). In order to edit instrument automation, I have to edit it in the edit window. However, the scale of the window is different from the representation in the main track where the automation data is superimposed. Is there a way to at least sync this so that what I am editing is the same scale (size) as the main track window?

Also, I don't see that once the instrument automation is written to the instrument track it can be hidden. You can hide automation lanes, you can turn off the items in the track that enable the automation, but the squiggly automation data still shows even when automation is turned off.

Ideally, I'd like to:

1.) Have instrument automation appear in separate lanes that are the same scale as the instrument track. Barring that, I'd like to be able to sync the size of the edit window and the instrument track so that I can see what I am editing at the same scale.

2.) Be able to completely turn off the automation display in the instrument track. It might be a personal peeve, but I don't like automation data superimposed over the note data.

Anyone?

by smueske on Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:47 pm
No one? This can't be expected behavior. Every other DAW I've ever used displays the envelope itself in separate lanes, not just a long flat line. It shouldn't matter whether an envelope is for a track or an instrument parameter. Is this a bug?

by Jemusic on Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:39 pm
I agree with you! I have tried countless ways to record notes and modulation live and display automation (expanded underneath the instrument event) while in the track view. Seems it cannot be done which is a pretty big omission for sure. Even when you set up an expanded lane set to the correct parameter e.g. Mod Wheel and set it write, one should be able to play live, use modulation and then see it all expanded immediately after as a separate automation lane directly under the midi event part. Currently it only shows as a straight line. Even though the modulation is in fact recorded.

Note: You can record the notes first, then create an automation lane for modulation , expand it underneath and then overdub the modulation and it will display. But it won't show here if you are playing live and using automation at the same time.

So for now the only real way to see it is down below after double clicking on the event in the edit window. But yes you can adjust the scale down there to match what is above. Just make sure that edit is active and use the W and E keys to match the zoom levels.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by smueske on Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:16 am
Thanks for the update. Yeah, that is a huge problem. I normally write automation live and then tweak it manually. I'll try the keys to tweak the view, but I hope this is something that gets addressed at some point. It is good to know, however, that I am not crazy. :)

5 posts
Page 1 of 1