3 posts
Page 1 of 1
This is interesting (well, maybe to some ;) ) Anybody seen this before?

I had an instrumental I was showing to a colleague last night. Everything sounded normal. Opened it, played it, closed it. I do not remember if I saved it or not.

Opened it this morning - something sounded odd. After investigating I found that my Impact instance, for two of the pads, had reverted to the full un-cropped piece of audio that the sample was taken from, and the sample start and end bounds were no longer valid.

When I tried using Restore Version, all versions of the project had this change. Every version, the Impact instance had the un-cropped version of the file in the pad so it produced a different sound.

Luckily, there was a separate project with the same Impact instrument that I could use Import Song Data from to get the original settings- otherwise it would have been a real pain to find it since I sampled one moment from a very long recording.

This was the original instrument and the pad in question:

This was what I woke up to:

Same file that it was sampled from, but no longer cropped so the same start and end points now referenced a different piece.

For the record, this was one of the last sessions I opened at night and I closed it (not sure if I saved it, but even past versions of the song had this change). Then I opened it again in the morning, a few hours later, and this had changed.

Mac OS X 10.12.6
MacBook Pro 15" Mid-2014
by Jemusic on Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:39 pm
Well I tried this and did not get the same behaviour as you at all and on a Mac as well just to be sure. What I did was:

Created a session, inserted Impact XT. Loaded a preset. Dragged an audio file onto a pad. Used the Start ad End locators to find just the part of that file I wanted. All well.

At this point I tried two things here.

1. Just saved the whole session. Closed and reopened. Impact XT was exactly as I saved it. The pad I dragged the audio file onto had the imported sound and it was cropped exactly as I left it.

2. Saved the Impact XT as a preset first and renamed it accordingly. Then saved the session. Closed and reopened. Same again Impact XT was exactly as I had left it. Except because I had the Impact XT as a preset I could load in any preset and then reload my saved preset again and it also loaded exactly as I had left it.

There is nothing wrong here. It was something you must have done. Try saving the Impact preset itself before saving and then try again and reload that preset and see what happens. If you go to any trouble to create a special Impact preset you should save that as a user preset before doing anything. Just in case. Your user preset shows up along with all the others.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4
iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface and Scarlett 18i20

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas - Eleanor Roosevelt
by robertgray3 on Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:57 pm
To be clear, I wasn’t saying that if you close your projects your Impact instruments will change. I was asking if anyone else has ever seen that. I tried a lot of different things and was not able to duplicate it. So I figured I’d need to see if anyone else has ever seen it before. Clearly you haven’t, I appreciate that you tried to replicate it though- I just didn’t want anyone to waste their time when the only steps I had (close, reopen) couldn’t reliably duplicate it save the very first time it happened. I more posted this in case someone ran into it down the road.

Mac OS X 10.12.6
MacBook Pro 15" Mid-2014

3 posts
Page 1 of 1