18 posts
Page 1 of 1
Wondering what your experience with Studio One 4's performance and stability is? How solid is it for you?

I've been testing out 4.0.0 today and it's been pretty solid for me so far. I haven't stress-tested it yet, or really pushed any of the new features hard, but I loaded up a simple mix I did for a film in 3.5.6 with a variety of plugins from FabFilter and iZotope, and 4.0.0 seems to perform on par with 3.5.6... maybe slightly faster load-up times. It was also just as stable as 3.5.6 from what I could tell. Cross fingers, no surprises so far! Again, I haven't pushed the new features hard to know how solid they are yet, but I'll be hammering 4.0.0 in the weeks to come. So far, feeling optimistic.

Your thoughts? Experience? Anything jump out at you yet?
by Funkybot on Tue May 22, 2018 7:22 pm
I thought I was seeing a bit less CPU spiking with some CPU intensive RePro-5 pads in just a few minutes with the 4.0 demo today. Didn't get a chance to go back and do a direct compare yet, so it may have totally been a placebo, but I'll go do that at some point in the next few days.

AMD Ryzen 3950X, ASUS Creator x570 Mobo, 32GB HyperX Predator RAM (3600mhz), Radeon™ RX 5500 XT 4GB GDDR6 graphics card, RME Fireface 800, Windows 10 Pro, Studio One 5, Reaper 6, Cubase 10.5, Avid Artist Mix (EuCon please), Behringer X-Touch One, MIDI Fighter Twister, various other MIDI control surfaces and hardware instruments
by BobF on Tue May 22, 2018 7:24 pm
Rock solid for me with everything I've tried so far

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ
by Funkybot on Tue May 22, 2018 7:27 pm
Just noticed when I fired up v3 that the v4 demo didn't quit properly. Got the "An instance of Studio One is already running message" when launching v3 and had to go to Task Manager to force close v4. Not a big deal, but it was my first time running the v4 demo.

AMD Ryzen 3950X, ASUS Creator x570 Mobo, 32GB HyperX Predator RAM (3600mhz), Radeon™ RX 5500 XT 4GB GDDR6 graphics card, RME Fireface 800, Windows 10 Pro, Studio One 5, Reaper 6, Cubase 10.5, Avid Artist Mix (EuCon please), Behringer X-Touch One, MIDI Fighter Twister, various other MIDI control surfaces and hardware instruments
by jpettit on Tue May 22, 2018 7:30 pm
Funkybot wroteJust noticed when I fired up v3 that the v4 demo didn't quit properly. Got the "An instance of Studio One is already running message" when launching v3 and had to go to Task Manager to force close v4. Not a big deal, but it was my first time running the v4 demo.

That is normal.
S1 actually shuts down several background services so it not really ready for another S1 for like 10-15 seconds after a shut down.

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by jpettit on Tue May 22, 2018 7:33 pm
I stress tested it out to 12 Mai Tai with mid-level hungry presets with very good core balance.
The CPU metering algorithm has been modified as well I believe as it tracks much closer to the OS at least on my tests.

SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by bassfx on Tue May 22, 2018 7:48 pm
jpettit wroteI stress tested it out to 12 Mai Tai with mid-level hungry presets with very good core balance.
The CPU metering algorithm has been modified as well I believe as it tracks much closer to the OS at least on my tests.

Any chance we could get some details about what they did (if anything) to the engine?

I might be imagining things, but v4 really does seem to launch a little faster and load up projects a little faster. Wondering if there are any optimizations there or elsewhere?
by PreAl on Tue May 22, 2018 8:59 pm
New software is always buggy.

How I tend to avoid all this is:

For an OS wait 6-12 months, preferably 12.
For applications wait 3-6 months.

Read forums regularly, try not to feel smug when people are tearing their hair out and wasting their time.

This is not the first time I've written something like this. If I've had a dollar everytime when somebody responded everything is working fine for them, and then much later... bingo.. he's in deep trouble because of a bug.

Guys thanks for testing!!

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by Sturphy on Tue May 22, 2018 9:58 pm
jdurham wrote
jpettit wroteI stress tested it out to 12 Mai Tai with mid-level hungry presets with very good core balance.

Any chance we could get some details about what they did (if anything) to the engine?

I might be imagining things, but v4 really does seem to launch a little faster and load up projects a little faster. Wondering if there are any optimizations there or elsewhere?

This is probably what I am most interested in learning. Have there been any updates to CPU efficiency? Didn't see anything about any optimizing of performance in any notes...

12 core Mac Pro 2013 OS 12.7.1 | 64GB Ram | Studio One 6 Pro | Orion Studio 2017 | Dangerous 2Bus+ | TK Audio BC1-S | Too many plugins...
by bassfx on Wed May 23, 2018 5:37 am
PreAl wroteFor applications wait 3-6 months.

Normally I'm with you there. Decided to take the plunge since I can definitely use some of these new features, plus the sooner we can get the Windows video engine sync issues under control, the better. So I had to buy just for that alone, since I felt like I had to test (and report bugs) for the video engine to hopefully keep the developers moving forward (which they are BTW). I want the video engine issues fixed very badly, so I'm taking the bullet for you and spending my time on it.

PreAl wroteGuys thanks for testing!!

You're very welcome! :D
by jpettit on Wed May 23, 2018 2:46 pm
They actually work on subtle improvements all the time so even a minor dot-dot release can have hdden gems.

This is a message to all concerned here.

Unless a simple repeatable and portable test can be uploaded that demonstrates a significant difference using native plugins or instruments that multiple people can confirm none of your specific concerns will be addressed.

Thanks

by PreAl on Wed May 23, 2018 2:53 pm
jpettit wrote.
Unless a simple repeatable and portable test can be uploaded that demonstrates a significant difference using native plugins or instruments that multiple people can confirm none of your specific concerns will be addressed.

Thanks

Confused why you wrote this, this appears to be a general discussion looking at the thread title and topic. Only one person who says he has a specific issue (with video) and has already said he's reported it. I hope we can continue to have this friendly discussion in the manner it was intended without breaking rules which we seem to be reminded of on very regular occasions..

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by jpettit on Wed May 23, 2018 3:01 pm
Studio One 4 performance and stability seems good, your thoughts?

I could have confused this with several other post/thread on Performance.

There is no issue here just offering advice if you want to do something about it.

by bassfx on Wed May 23, 2018 3:10 pm
Thanks, jpettit, your post did seem out of the blue, but understandable out of an excess of mod fatigue over the last 24 hours, but yes, the general advice to create a repeatable, well-written, concise, focused, portable, beautiful bug report is very solid, and I agree, it's the way to get things done with any developers. They love that stuff. Since they haven't invited me to be a beta tester, which is totally fine (I've done enough of that in my DAW life), I still want to get stuff done and they have been very classy to me so far, so it's a win-win as far as I can see. As for mod overload, may I humbly offer advice too? Maybe take a few hours off? lol :D
by jpettit on Wed May 23, 2018 3:40 pm
I do but that chores around my house are more exhausting. ;)

FYI: That is why nothing was called out against the number on vote FR. It is too ambiguous.
BTW it is not that they "like it. It is required with software.

You can't fix something unless you know what you are fixing.

Also, we do see performance thread get out of control real quick with a ton of "me too" but no real data.

by bassfx on Wed May 23, 2018 3:47 pm
jpettit wroteI do but that chores around my house are more exhausting. ;)

Oh, I see, you're on the couch with reruns of Real Housewives of Atlanta in the background while your significant other is vacuuming, right? ;)

jpettit wroteFYI: That is why nothing was called out against the number on vote FR. It is too ambiguous.
BTW it is not that they "like it. It is required with software.

You can't fix something unless you know what you are fixing.

Very true.

jpettit wroteAlso, we do see performance thread get out of control real quick with a ton of "me too" but no real data.

Yeah, good point. I'll be more specific!
by markluljak on Wed May 23, 2018 4:32 pm
Can't even get it to go past "Scanning plugins..." on any but the very first launch. It just hangs there. Several of us have this issue and have a thread regarding it.

Overall, I can't call that stable -or- good performance. :/ Once they get us past this hump, I'd be happy to chime back in once I can see how it performs.

Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit, i7 4960X @ 3.6GHz, 64GB DDR3, ASUS Rampage IV Black, 1TB Samsung Evo Pro 850 SSD, 6TB WD Black HDD x 2, Creative ZxR, EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified, 2160p resolution, Oxygen 61 and AKAI MPD-232 MIDI, ZEDi 10FX
by bassfx on Wed May 23, 2018 5:26 pm
Sorry to hear that, Mark. I saw the other thread. I haven't experienced this issue, hope it gets resolved for you guys soon! And you're right, that's not exactly a stable experience! May it be a simple fix!

18 posts
Page 1 of 1