20 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello, just wondering where I might be able to get some videos to learn studio one. I don't have internet at home so streaming videos are no good to me, I need to be able to download them from one place and then take them home. I've tried various methods to download the videos in my account and on youtube, joe gilders ones, but the 3rd party video downloaders I am forced to use dont work. You cannot do "save link as" either.

It shouldn't be this hard. I am doing a music programming course online and they just have a download button to download the video directly.

Anybody have any ideas? It would be good if presonus allowed me to download the videos from my account, that would make things very easy.

OS: Win 7, 64 bit. MB: ASUS P8Z77-V LE PLUS. CPU: Intel 3.4ghz, i5-3570, LGA1155. RAM: 8g DDR3 1333Mhz. 1 X SSD (OS) 2 X 7200 HDD (Recording/Samples). Steinberg UR44, Nektar Impact LX61. KRK Rokit 4 G3. S1 Pro V3.5.6. NI Komplete Ultimate 10.
by scottyo7 on Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:32 am
You could go to a friends and watch them there?

Much of the material on YouTube and most likely all the PreSonus content is copy-written and not meant for download.

I'm afraid you're in the very small minority of people who don't have internet access and that's where the world is moving... stream everything and store in the cloud. ;)
Last edited by scottyo7 on Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Please add your System-Gear-Info to your Profile here.
-S1 Pro 5.5.2. Win11 Pro 22H2. Behringer UMC404HD. Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018.
-MSI 12th Gen i7, 16GB, 1GB SSD x2, 7200rpm 2TB HD, NVIDIA RTX 3060.
-EZD3 & EZD2. Helix Native, Scuffham S-Gear. iZotope Ozone 5.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars. Line 6 Helix LT, 2 POD's & an E-bow. 8-)
-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
-My Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by WaterlooSunset on Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:16 am
McDonalds, coffee shops, free internet is everywhere. Grab your computer and a $1.98 and head out.

Win 10 latest, MSI G41 Z87, I4770K (no OC), 16GB, NVIDIA 710, 2x27" Monitors 1Tb SSD, 500G SSD, 3 platter drives. SYBA Firewire SD-PEX30009, FS Mobile. Monitor2USB, S1 Pro 5 current.
Hobbiest - Mainly Guitars, UVI, Soundtoys, NI, IK, EZ2, SD3, GR5, TH3, Amplitube 4 and 5, Waves GR,
Korg 707, NanoPAD2, MicroKey2. Eris 5, B2031A, 2013 R1200GS-LC.
by robburgess on Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:07 am
The Aimersoft YouTube Downloader works well for me.

--
Rob
Studio One 3.3.3 Artist
Windows 7/10
by garryknight on Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:09 am
Groove3 has over a dozen video courses on Studio One versions 2 and 3. Once you've paid for them, you download a zip file, which should be faster than streaming.

Garry Knight
Studio One 3 Professional
Melodyne Editor 4, NI Komplete 11
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio interface
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 16 GB RAM, Core i5
Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Core i7, 8GB RAM, 128 GB SSD
Nektar Impact LX49+, Samson Graphite 25, and Korg microKey 25 MIDI controllers
Novation ZeRO SL MkII mixing control surface
Korg nanoKontrol 2 mixing control surface
Reaper, Logic Pro X, GarageBand
https://soundcloud.com/garryknight
by tezza on Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:15 pm
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, much appreciated. I am in Australia, where even poop internet costs a fortune. The groove 3 videos look good and seem reasonably priced as well, they also cover some of the more complex areas specifically. Most importantly, I can download them and view them at home with my set up. I will also try the Aimersoft video downloader. I am finding a lot of studio one is easy to learn without instruction, but prefer following videos in my home studio where I can adapt everything straight away to my work environment.

I bought studio one version 2 a couple of years ago, put it on the computer, stared at it for about 2 hours and then put it back in the box and packed it away. The interface didn't inspire me and the sounds were horrid. My computer also struggled to deal with it. I prefer to play live, anyway, a couple of years later, my computer is much more powerful so it's easier to throw stuff around, some of the sounds are useful and I am tolerating the boring visual interface.

I just want to record some acoustically based romantic jazz style songs on the computer, that I play live. I can play piano, guitar and sing. I was disappointed with the VST sounds, I wanted to hear proper horns, pianos, strings and drums etc. I think if I supplement Studio One with Komplete 10 then I might get what I want. But I will then need to download more videos to tackle that Kontakt monster!

OS: Win 7, 64 bit. MB: ASUS P8Z77-V LE PLUS. CPU: Intel 3.4ghz, i5-3570, LGA1155. RAM: 8g DDR3 1333Mhz. 1 X SSD (OS) 2 X 7200 HDD (Recording/Samples). Steinberg UR44, Nektar Impact LX61. KRK Rokit 4 G3. S1 Pro V3.5.6. NI Komplete Ultimate 10.
by sirmonkey on Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:36 pm
Perhaps I am confused. You say that you don't have the internet. Then you describe things that depend on the internet that you use. Groove 3 is one of those things. How can you say that Groove 3 looks good (it is transmitted through the internet)....AND make your posts (also on the internet).... and then say that you don't have access to the internet?

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by tezza on Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:02 am
I have access to the internet, just not at home where my home studio is. For example, I can view videos in a library or somewhere (also with interruptions or sometimes not working at all) but I cannot view them at home because I do not have the internet at home. I need to be able to download the videos elsewhere and then take them home to watch, in entirety, without interruptions and in my home studio where I can try out the techniques in the videos within studio one etc.

I do not have this problem with the online courses or for vegas pro all of which allow video download to save on your hard drive. It's just Studio One, the videos in my account and on youtube where I cannot do this so looking for ways around this.

by sirmonkey on Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:33 am
Oh, now I get what you mean. Sorry if I was a bit too incredulous. When I re- read my post, I cringed at how it read! But now I get what the difficulty is. *The internet is everywhere here in the U.S. It permeates our brains all day, and it's as if you have to make a special effort to escape it sometimes!
Anyway, Groove3 is one of the quality items online. There is unlimited access to all videos with an annual subscription, but for your situation, maybe you would want to purchase just the essential topics of interest. I'm pretty sure that every video series has 1 free segment, so you can get a feel for the series, and figure out if it's up your ally.
For example, check out the video with the green arrow (instead of a padlock icon) here: https://www.groove3.com/presonus-traini ... icks-Vol-1

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by matthewgorman on Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:49 am
Contact Johnny Geib at homestudiotrainer.com. He is one of the pioneers of Studio One training, and much of the content you see on youtube and here are his videos.Its possible that he would be able to do something with his videos for a fee.

I will shoot him a message to poke his head in here.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by garryknight on Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:17 pm
terencedoyle wroteThe groove 3 videos look good and seem reasonably priced as well, they also cover some of the more complex areas specifically.
I think if I supplement Studio One with Komplete 10 then I might get what I want. But I will then need to download more videos to tackle that Kontakt monster!

Well, hey, guess what! Groove3 has Getting Started with Kontakt and Next Steps with Kontakt :)

Garry Knight
by Steve Carter on Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:04 pm
Hi... Sorry to hijack the thread but....

Got a free time limited all access pass to Groove 3 recently, I can log in and get confirmation of my all access pass and then navigate to the videos but each time I click on the play button I just get a message to say that the video file can't be found! Anyone else had this problem?
I have sent a support request to Groove 3 but no response yet.

Regards....

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by johnnygeib2 on Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:56 pm
terencedoyle wroteHello, just wondering where I might be able to get some videos to learn studio one. I don't have internet at home so streaming videos are no good to me, I need to be able to download them from one place and then take them home. I've tried various methods to download the videos in my account and on youtube, joe gilders ones, but the 3rd party video downloaders I am forced to use dont work. You cannot do "save link as" either.

It shouldn't be this hard. I am doing a music programming course online and they just have a download button to download the video directly.

Anybody have any ideas? It would be good if presonus allowed me to download the videos from my account, that would make things very easy.

I do custom video for Beginners on Studio One. What subjects are you looking for?

by tezza on Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:49 pm
Thanks again for the suggestions, It seems groove monkey has most things covered if I need to look at specific things (thanks Garryknight). Johnny geib got some good videos too (thanks Matthewgorman). The aimersoft video downloader looks good but costs $30.00. probably $45.00 aus (thanks robburgess). Meanwhile, it seems not all video downloaders are created equal. Since I use firefox, I've tried a few add ons and am having more success with some than others. It still is a bit iffy and can take some time. Nevertheless, I am hobbling together a bunch of videos to watch at home.

Sirmonkey, I wouldn't worry about cringe worthy posts, I've done a few corkers in my time!

I am having some reasonable progress at the moment just trying different things and using the manual. I do have some problems that I run into, maybe custom videos might be the answer? themuzic.

How about these video titles:

1. Why you can't create expandable midi loops in studio one. (like you can in every other daw ever made).

Pressing D or shift D is a pain, just want to slide the loop out.

2. How miniature icons, transport and zoom buttons/sliders destroy the entire navigation of studio one and what cant be done about it.

3. How thew lack of volume/pan controls on the track headers force you to switch to the mix console and what cant be done about that..

At the moment, I am not sure if I am unfairly blaming studio one or studio one is forcing me to work in a different way that might be better, using keyboard commands and the mix console, which I never do of either. Took me 45 minutes to find the metronome volume, which was staring me in the face on the master output, but in no way connected to metronome settings. Maybe just teething problems, but it would have been nice to be able to just download the videos in one lump from my account and then have them available while I work.

I don't know why people worry about copyrighting videos that are already available for public release. Surely, if someone buys the software, it just makes sense to include some instructional videos, there are none in the box either, despite there being "demo songs" and claims of tutorials in the box.

by garryknight on Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:57 pm
terencedoyle wroteThanks again for the suggestions, It seems groove monkey has most things covered if I need to look at specific things (thanks Garryknight).

That's Groove3, and you've very welcome.

terencedoyle wrote1. Why you can't create expandable midi loops in studio one. (like you can in every other daw ever made).

Loops? You mean MIDI 'events' (Studio One's name for a piece of MIDI). There are two ways to expand a MIDI event:

1. With the default Arrow tool (or combination tool) selected, click a MIDI event on the timeline then move your mouse pointer to the right-hand end of it until you see the pointer change to an upright line with an arrow either side of it. Click and drag. The end of the event will snap (if snap is on) to the nearest quantized grid line (click the drop-down menu to the right of 'IQ' to change the grid quantization).

2. Click to highlight a MIDI event and press F2 for the MIDI editor. Scroll to the right-hand end of the event (check the bar number above, and at the top of the timeline, to check when you've reached it). Now, move your mouse pointer to the very top-right of the event in the editor, then click and drag.

terencedoyle wrote2. How miniature icons, transport and zoom buttons/sliders destroy the entire navigation of studio one and what cant be done about it.

There are key presses available to activate each of the transport buttons. No need to click.

terencedoyle wrote3. How thew lack of volume/pan controls on the track headers force you to switch to the mix console and what cant be done about that..

There are volume controls on the track headers. They're horizontal lines underneath the Mute, Solo, etc buttons. But no need to switch to the console for volume and pan. Highlight a track then press F4 to open the Inspector. You'll find volume, pan, and a whole lot of other stuff there. Click another track and the Inspector updates to show the controls for that track. Admittedly, you're losing some screen space by opening it, as you are when opening the console, but you do have a choice.

Garry Knight
by tezza on Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:36 pm
Thanks Garry,

I guess I mean creating a series of loops by dragging one loop. For example, in Logic or mixcraft and others, you can input a midi bass drum, 2 hits on one bar, then edit that small single bar. When your happy, you can click and drag the bar to cover 40 bars, which takes a couple of seconds. You end up with 40 bars of individual one bar midi loops.

Clicking and dragging in studio one just results in extending the single midi loop, it does not create more midi loops, there is no option but to hit D or shift D 40 times to get the same result. At least none that I can see.

It is probably about time I did use the keyboard now as I am more of a mouse person. Juggling the two together is a different process for me. It certainly isn't really possible to use the mouse for everything in studio one, everything is too small and fiddly.

I have version 2 and I cannot see any horizontal volume sliders underneath the mute/solo buttons etc, yes there is the track inspector, but that's another click to get that open and involves selecting the track (at the top) and then going to the volume bar in inspector (bottom left corner). Again, I am used to just flying around with the mouse to set up volumes/pans on the track headers, moving through them as necessary, as I am recording other parts.

by johnnygeib2 on Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:43 pm
Your video requests are more like feature requests. No one does videos on why something doesn't work a certain way. Basically the answers to your questions are simply because they were not designed that way. (I'm not intending to sound sarcastic I assure you)

However you make some very good points especially about the midi loops. Being able to just pull them to duplicate them like Sony Acid would be nice and resizing the transport buttons would be a great addition but sadly nothing can be done about it at this time.

now number 3 might have a video in it:

3. How thew lack of volume/pan controls on the track headers force you to switch to the mix console and what cant be done about that..

There is an Inspector on the left where these controls sit that might help you but again, it is unlike most DAWs.

But one thing I have learned about Studio one having worked with (not for) Presonus the last 5 years is that they definitely did not set out to be like other DAWs. Having used Pro Tools, Cubase and Samplitude myself long before Studio One, I really liked all the changes and found that once I learned it, it was way more time efficient in the end.

by johnnygeib2 on Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:47 pm
garryknight wrote1. With the default Arrow tool (or combination tool) selected, click a MIDI event on the timeline then move your mouse pointer to the right-hand end of it until you see the pointer change to an upright line with an arrow either side of it. Click and drag. The end of the event will snap (if snap is on) to the nearest quantized grid line (click the drop-down menu to the right of 'IQ' to change the grid quantization).

2. Click to highlight a MIDI event and press F2 for the MIDI editor. Scroll to the right-hand end of the event (check the bar number above, and at the top of the timeline, to check when you've reached it). Now, move your mouse pointer to the very top-right of the event in the editor, then click and drag.

I believe he's actually looking to loop them, not make them longer, by dragging rather then pressing "D"

by garryknight on Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:21 pm
themuzic wroteI believe he's actually looking to loop them, not make them longer, by dragging rather then pressing "D"

You know, Johnny, I think you're right. Thanks :-)

terencedoyle wroteI guess I mean creating a series of loops by dragging one loop.

Ah, got it. Ableton Live also lets you do that. It would be nice to have the option to turn an event into a looping event. Sounds like a feature request. I bet there's already one in the pipeline.

Garry Knight
by tezza on Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:06 pm
Yes, that's it, create more loops by dragging one loop rather than expanding just one loop.

Joe Gilders videos look very interesting....will concentrate on those I think, see if I can get a downloader to get them all, having mixed results.

From what I can tell so far, it seems studio one would not be the first choice for people who like to use midi loops. It seems to me to be more suited to audio production, like a lot of these DAW's, they seem targeted at engineers rather than musicians or self composers.

I think I may end up using Mixcraft to compose and then importing the wav files into studio one for mixing. I have seen a number of people around the web doing this. Mixcraft 7 allows me to be the musician, throwing anything at the DAW, 32 or 64bit plugins, it doesn't care. Big transport controls, dragable loops, a guitar tuner inbuilt, and nice big midi interface, better colors, I can see whats going on even standing on the other side of the room, playing my guitar, no need to wear my glasses!

Where Mixcraft falls down a bit is in the mixer and mixer effects for post production and mastering, it's all a bit clunky and the effects are horrid. So, when all is done with the raw files, I can put on the engineers hat and put everything into studio one and watch Joe Gilders videos to polish the song. Sounds like a good workflow to me, making that distinction between recording musician and engineer, which I have found to be a problem.

It would be nice to do it all in one DAW but I don't think that is going to work for me. Studio one requires too many keystrokes, and I have to wear my glasses, I cannot work as quickly and effortlessly in terms of recording, I will still give it a try though.

20 posts
Page 1 of 1