7 posts
Page 1 of 1
After having my Studiolive 32 Series III mixer for about a month I have reluctantly realized i might have made the wrong purchase choice. I was thinking that the Studiolive 32 was more than a mixer for a one time Live recording capture. Seeing the transport controls, and the on board SD card for recording I assumed that I could use it more as a home recording mixer-recorder as well as a live board. Wrong! It is a good board for Live use - but I wish it was a board that used the SD card as a storage device and made use of Studio One 3 software within the mixer, instead of just Capture - as it's internal DAW! Now that, would be a true DAW recording mixer for home studio use and more. To Be able to play, record, mix multiple tracks with over-dub capability and mixing etc...all in this mixer. If you still want to use a laptop with other software...allowed, but not required. This board for me, is truly looking to be unnecessary over-kill, since I still need to use the Studio One software with a computer running everything so I can get to use multiple tracking, over dubs, bouncing etc... all the things I thought and hoped this board would be able to do with Capture and the SD card. Since it had not been released at the time I pre-ordered it, it was tough to speak with someone who had used it, knew all it's capabilities, and all it's short-comings. I now find that basically Capture (and the SD card) are of not much use for my recording purposes. Strictly a one shot - live recording... with no multiple tracking dubs. Truly disappointed. Sure wish Presonus could make 'the' mixer that incorporates an internal hard drive (or SD card) that can actually do all the things the board does - PLUS - record with 'internal' STUDIO ONE 3 software (not Capture) using a hard drive or SD card for storage. I had an older DAW from Akai that did all that, but did not have all the 'Fat channel' features that this mixer has. But, it was an 'All-in-one' true recording mixer. It lacked an updated software program like 'studio one 3', built in to make it the best!
by SwitchBack on Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:36 pm
Doesn't make coffee either, or rub your feet…

Probably for what you want you should start with adding an interface to a DAW rather than trying to put that DAW (including a large enough screen and state of the art computing power to make it last at least a few years) inside a mixer.
by alanbutterworth on Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:57 pm
I've just bought a SL3 24.

I don't think what you're asking is beyond the realms of possibility. I've grown up through tape machines, digital tape machines, hard disk recorders. The best machine ever built was the AKAI DPS24 which did exactly what you want. The SL3 is almost the heir to this legacy. I'm betting a simple 32 track recorder with multi-tracking capabilities could be added to the SL3....the biggest chink would be the read /write speed of the SD card. I bet they would need to licence XFAT as the format for the higher speed cards. Don't forget, a lot of the processing power of current software DAWs are probably being consumed by sample memory, not simple playback of audio tracks. If the AKAI DPS24 could be designed in 2001 to record and playback 24 tracks of 24bit audio @ 44.1 or 48kHz, there's no reason why the SL3 couldn't manage the same. With a touchscreen, simple buttons like locate points, drop-in points and transport, are the only things required to make this work. The software would look more like an extended Capture program than Studio One. I think there has been a conscious effort in delaying (well maybe not delaying, but not hurrying up) any DAW control for the SL3 series for an obvious reason. I wouldn't have considered buying another DAW had it not been for the implementation now of DAW control for Studio One. I'd only just come back into the Cubase fold after using Reason 8 for the last six years but have always been a 'hardware' guy when it comes to mixing. With SL3 and S1 4, this now promises to be an integrated package. The ability to use the mixer live and capture the whole show and bring it back into the S1, quickly and easily, was the icing on the cake. S1 4 also returns to the user a much simpler, streamlined interface than the utilitarian feel of Cubase.

Just my thoughts...

Window 10, Be Quiet PC Intel Core i9-10900X CPU @ 3.70GHz 64Gb RAM, 4 x SSD, Native Instruments ULTIMATE KOMPLETE 11 plus Symphonic Series Library, AKAI MPK88, Studio One 5.2 (pro), Cubase 10 PRO, Dorico 3, Notion 6, Presonus ioSTATION24c
by matthewgorman on Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:30 am
There is a bit more to it for SD card recording. Main reason being how SD handles read/write, and why a full format using the SD card format tool is recommended.

Simply erasing or simple format of a card only allocates the sectors on the card as available. The data is still there. So the card would have to first erase, then record the new data. This is why the same card will give you variable results on a speed test.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by alanbutterworth on Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:45 pm
matthewgorman wroteThere is a bit more to it for SD card recording. Main reason being how SD handles read/write, and why a full format using the SD card format tool is recommended.

Simply erasing or simple format of a card only allocates the sectors on the card as available. The data is still there. So the card would have to first erase, then record the new data. This is why the same card will give you variable results on a speed test.

I couldn't agree more. I still think given that you've got 34 audio streams to play with, a simple multitrack recorder with even 16 tracks could be useful for many users.

Window 10, Be Quiet PC Intel Core i9-10900X CPU @ 3.70GHz 64Gb RAM, 4 x SSD, Native Instruments ULTIMATE KOMPLETE 11 plus Symphonic Series Library, AKAI MPK88, Studio One 5.2 (pro), Cubase 10 PRO, Dorico 3, Notion 6, Presonus ioSTATION24c
by bogarguzman on Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:16 pm
I think you are asking too much to Presonus, as well as to any company that makes a mixer like this.
You are actually mixing things in your mind; there are many devices and accessories in the market, and every one of them has its function. It seems that you want a mixer that does everything a computer does and more, in other words, you want a mixer that works as a mixer and as a computer, that you can do everything possible in audio.
It seems you want this; the SL32 to work as Live mixer, recording device, editor, mixing DAW, don't you want also to be a mastering device? that way you don;t need to buy anything more but the SL32. Maybe Presonus can also add No cables, No mics, No electricity, No Batteries.
Good luck if you want to create that device, I will take it in consideration if you do.

Complaining just for the heck of it, does not help anybody.

If you do not understand how to do everything you want, I suggest to take some audio engineering classes. There are many good institutions for it.

Again, Good luck in you can create your dream device, go forth, do it !!, I would be interested in buying it.

Bogar

Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4
32 GB RAM
Studiolive 32 series III firmware 2.01.16038
Studio One Pro
by Skip Jones on Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:30 pm
You can find the SD card formater and notes mentioned by matthewgorman in the following Knowledge Base article. I reformat with each use.

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... y-SD-Card-

Skip

Skip

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Windows 10 X 64 : AMD Phenom II X 4 945, ATI Radeon 5450 / 512 RAM - 8GB RAM / 1T SATA, Mac Mini (Late 2014), Faderport and Faderport 8, Yamaha S-08 Synth, Fishman TriplePlay Guitar MIDI, Logidy Controller, assorted PreSonus Gear

7 posts
Page 1 of 1