Requests or concerns about the forum itself.
Technical Support requests should be logged directly at http://support.presonus.com
7 posts
Page 1 of 1
OK, so I’m just getting started, and I’m struggling to find any info about routing Studio One Cue Mixes to NSB stage boxes. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

I’m running Studio One 5, into a SL32S console, with two NSB Stage boxes (and a HP60 headphone amp).

So far all has been going well. My Studio One Song Setup has 4 Cue Mixes, and with my SL32S in DAW Mode I can control the Cue Mixes via Mix buttons 9 - 12. (Happy with all this)

But, how do I route/patch these Cue Mixes (9 - 12) to my NSB stage box AVB Sends?

I’ve already got my Main routed to 7/8 on my first NSB, so I’ve got outputs 1-6 free. (on both NSB’s)

My ultimate goal is to have the following configuration.

Main routed to NSB #1 outputs 7/8 (Done)
Click routed to NSB # 2 outputs 7/8 (How?)
Cue Mixes (Max of 6) routed to NSB outputs 1-6 (How?)

The outputs of my NSB’s would then be physically cables as follows;

Main (NSB #1 7/8) to HP60 Input A (Done)
Click (NSB #2 7/8) to HP60 Input B
Cue Mixes (NSB outputs 1-6) to HP60 inputs 1-6

Again, any thoughts, or direction to the right info would be hugely appreciated.

David B
(singer/songwriter/audio engineer)
Studiolive SL32S III
Studio One 5 (Mac)
NSB 16.8
NSB 8.8
HP60
Monitor Station V2
by wahlerstudios on Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:38 pm
If I remember it right, there is a song template for Studio One with the cue mix routing included, but I can't check that at the moment. Mixer and computer are packed already for a concert tomorrow...

You should keep in mind that cue mixes always are stereo mixes, so mixes 9-16 (DAW Mode) are eight stereo mixes and need up to 16 outputs. The problem is that flex mixes of StudioLive mixers do not have USB as input source option, so you will need to use the 7 stereo input channels instead, which are FX A, FX B, FX C, FX D, Aux In 1, Aux In 2 and Tape In. Usually you will use Tape In (USB 37+38) to listen to the mix of Studio One, so it's possible to route only 6 cue mixes to inputs and adjust them individually in 6 stereo aux mixes.

Cue Mix 1 -> USB 39+40 -> FX A -> Aux Mix 1+2
Cue Mix 2 -> USB 41+42 -> FX B -> Aux Mix 3+4
Cue Mix 3 -> USB 43+44 -> FX C -> Aux Mix 5+6
Cue Mix 4 -> USB 45+46 -> FX D -> Aux Mix 7+8
Cue Mix 5 -> USB 47+48 -> Aux In 1 -> Aux Mix 9+10
Cue Mix 6 -> USB 49+50 -> Aux In 2 -> Aux Mix 11+12
(Cue Mix 7 -> USB 51+52 -> Tape In -> Aux Mix 13+14)

The screenshot shows the routing in Studio One.

Another option is to use Interface Mode. This would allow to send 8 stereo cue mixes directly to the flex mix outputs. USB routing is identical.

Attachments
CueMixes.jpg
by davidbrimacombe on Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:31 pm
wahlerstudios, you’re a legend. Thank you so much.

I am already using Tape In for S1 playback via USB 37/38 as you described. And I’m only wanting 6 Cue mixes, so this should work perfectly.

I’ll have a go at this over the next day or so. I’ll also look into Interface Mode in order to understand the differences (pro’s/cons) between that and DAW mode.

I am totally new to Studio One, so forgive the dumb question, but will the Click naturally follow with this routing? Or is it possible to Route the Click to an independent send?

Thanks again for this great assistance.

David B
Studiolive SL32S III
Studio One 5 (Mac)
NSB 16.8
NSB 8.8
HP60
Monitor Station V2
by wahlerstudios on Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:20 am
As far as I know, the click has no own routing. You need to record the click for the song you want to work on and then play the "click track".
by SwitchBack on Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:08 am
Every S1 output has a metronome on/off button and fader. Up to you which ones you activated or deactivate :)
by wahlerstudios on Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:02 pm
So, mixer and computer are back and yes, Interface Mode is the solution. The interface template for a new song in Studio One is "StudioLive 32 Interface Mode, 32 channels and 8 stereo Cue Mixes". The template delivers the USB I/O routing you need. The only thing left to do is to activate Interface Mode on the mixer or in UC Surface.

Studio One calls it Mix 1/2, in DAW Mode it's called mix "9" (stereo). All 8 stereo cue mixes are routed directly to flex mix outputs 1-16. This deactivates the USB routing options of the mixer, but the USB settings of the mixer used as audio interface do work normal, so you can still send your Studio One mix to "Tape In" and use the monitor section of the StudioLive mixer.

Interface Mode is a simple and effective way to send 8 stereo cue mixes to the 16 flex mix outputs of a StudioLive mixer. The cue mix "trick" and Interface Mode also work with rack mixers, even though they don't have DAW Mode.

Attachments
NewSong Interfaces.jpg
by davidbrimacombe on Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:34 pm
Thanks so much for all this amazing info. I’ve had a quick go using these suggestions and so far all looks great.

I’m still getting my head around some of the SL & S1 config. But I’m really excited about how this is shaping up.

I now have my StudioLive SL32S operating as a huge interface running into Studio One. I’m using 2 x NSB stage boxes in my studio to feed the desk and also provide 6 independent cue/headphones mixes into my HP60 headphone amp. (With the Main Mix going into Input A on the HP60)

Very happy indeed. My vision seems to have materialized, and I’m looking forward to testing it out over the weekend.

Thanks again to all the advice offered here. In time I hope to similarly share my experiences and maybe help someone else.

David B
Studiolive SL32S III
Studio One 5 (Mac)
NSB 16.8
NSB 8.8
HP60
Monitor Station V2

7 posts
Page 1 of 1