StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
20 posts
Page 1 of 1
We are considering purchasing an RM16AI or 32 for an upcoming tour. We have a question before we do. We like the idea of recording our performances in 'capture'. We were wondering about the AVB interface though. We currently run all our synths from Ableton on a mac through a Motu firewire interface and usually run about 6 dedicated analog outputs to FOH. Could we either upgrade to a MOTU AVB interface and connect to the RM16AI via AVB, or Could we use the same computer the MOTU firewire interface is connected to, somehow run 'capture' alongside Ableton, and pipe those 6 tracks(from ableton) directly into the RM16AI(and 'capture') to mix(and record) them with our 'live' mics?
by mwright137 on Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:59 am
Not yet.

I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

Studio One 2 Pro 3.3.x (64 bit). MacBook Pro 13". OS X Sierra version 10.12.3.
RM16AI and CS18AI connected in Stagebox mode via MOTU AVB Switch.
StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by matthewgorman on Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:45 am
Dante may be more to your liking for this application. With Dante, they are also working on a solution that would run on the computer (Dante Via), that turns the PC and anything attached to it into a Dante Device. That would mean that you could pipe in the Ableton tracks using the digital inputs, keeping the analog inputs reserved for analog.

You would need to run a separate pc for recording, but I would think that is a good idea. Too many eggs in one basket kind of thing.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by Karyn on Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:49 am
If you used studio 1 to host your synths instead of ableton you could simply route all the synth outputs to digital inputs on an RM32 while recording them directly in Studio1, AND record the analogue inputs from the RM32 in Studio1 (not capture) at the same time...

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by roblof on Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:13 am
I'm not sure about AVB but there is a risk that the latency from DVS could be an issue. Expect a latency around 8-10mS.

Dante VIA has a slightly more latency than DVS according to the VIA specs.

Using a hardware dante card the latency will be greatly reduced.

I'm not sure about the RM, but if it works anything like the studiolive the digital returns can't be recorded as it will access and tap the local preamps. I'm not sure if a dante card will help in this case either due to the recording tap point but there is perhaps more options available with the RM.

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by matthewgorman on Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:17 am
I'm not sure about the RM, but if it works anything like the studiolive the digital returns can't be recorded as it will access and tap the local preamps. I'm not sure if a dante card will help in this case either due to the recording tap point but there is perhaps more options available with the RM.

The RM's do act differently. Selecting digital as the source bypasses the preamps. On the RM 16, you have 16 digital only channels. Its pretty cool for applications like this. On the RM 32 you would sacrifice the ability to use the analog ins per channel if digital source is selected.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by roblof on Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:37 am
matthewgorman wrote

The RM's do act differently. Selecting digital as the source bypasses the preamps. On the RM 16, you have 16 digital only channels. Its pretty cool for applications like this. On the RM 32 you would sacrifice the ability to use the analog ins per channel if digital source is selected.

On the studiolive it was not possible to record the digital inputs, e.g. if you wanted to use the FAT to re-record your tracks from your daw. Your option was only to record the analog inputs.

This made it possible to use a daw/vst-host to insert channel processing into each channel strip by enabling the digital input, while the analog input was feeding the daw.

Are you saying that the RM doesn't have this restriction and/or that insert processing isn't possible any longer?

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by matthewgorman on Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:04 am
Bring it in analog, send it out digital on a second channel, and record all.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by brianyoung3 on Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:57 am
I'm beginning to see that the best way to accomplish what we are going to be doing is feed everything into the studio live RM via analog inputs and then use capture to record it. Does the RM16(32) only work with capture or can it be used with any DAW for recording?
by roblof on Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:51 pm
You should be able to use any daw for recording.

I assume you already have studioone since it came with your rm.

by stephenbish on Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:17 pm
I'm also a bit interested in this thread as it covers some of the things I would like to be able to do, all be it at a simpler level. I think some of my questions are similar though.
I'm looking at the RM16 and currently use 'Live' and a 'Babyface'.
If I understand this correctly the RM16 will give me 16 mic pres and 16 digital inputs (via firewire) for a total of 32 tracks in 'Surface'.
The only difference being that with the RM32 I would loose one mic pre for every digital input I select.
Am I right so far?
Also I think the version of 'StudioOne' that comes with the RM needs a $400 upgrade to host VSTs and run in 64 bit mode. Kind of required I think.
I'm thinking running 'Live' and VSTs and 'Surface' and 'Capture' all on the one laptop would be a bit of a big ask no matter how good the laptop.
Would it work running VSTs in 'StudioOne' plus 'Surface' and recording everything in 'StudioOne'?
Or for that matter could I just use 'Live', sending audio from the midi channels to the RM and recording the mic channels from the RM in audio channels in Live?
Probably the simplest thing for me if it would work, not to mention the cheapest.
Would there be any advantage in using 'StudioOne' at all, other than the transfer of track names from RM? I would still have to name tracks from 'Live' wouldn't I?
BTW: Macbook 2.6 GHZ I7 16gig ram

Macbook Pro 2.6GH 16GB Ram
RM16
RME Babyface
by stephenbish on Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:21 pm
Sorry, no I wouldn't need to "rename tracks from Live" as I would be running the VSTs in StudioOne.
Sorry if my confusion confused anyone and thanks for this forum. It is a big help.

RM16
RME Babyface
by matthewgorman on Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:13 am
stephenbish wroteI'm also a bit interested in this thread as it covers some of the things I would like to be able to do, all be it at a simpler level. I think some of my questions are similar though.
I'm looking at the RM16 and currently use 'Live' and a 'Babyface'.
If I understand this correctly the RM16 will give me 16 mic pres and 16 digital inputs (via firewire) for a total of 32 tracks in 'Surface'.
The only difference being that with the RM32 I would loose one mic pre for every digital input I select.
Am I right so far?
Also I think the version of 'StudioOne' that comes with the RM needs a $400 upgrade to host VSTs and run in 64 bit mode. Kind of required I think.
I'm thinking running 'Live' and VSTs and 'Surface' and 'Capture' all on the one laptop would be a bit of a big ask no matter how good the laptop.
Would it work running VSTs in 'StudioOne' plus 'Surface' and recording everything in 'StudioOne'?
Or for that matter could I just use 'Live', sending audio from the midi channels to the RM and recording the mic channels from the RM in audio channels in Live?
Probably the simplest thing for me if it would work, not to mention the cheapest.
Would there be any advantage in using 'StudioOne' at all, other than the transfer of track names from RM? I would still have to name tracks from 'Live' wouldn't I?
BTW: Macbook 2.6 GHZ I7 16gig ram

You were correct up until the reference to S1 Artist. You can upgrade to Pro (less than $400), or you can purchase the VST add on for artist for $79.99.

You are going to run into a problem trying to run live and either capture or Studio one. You can only sync the RM to one computer, and only one daw on that computer. If you want to run backing tracks, then rule out capture. Use either S1 or Live. Not sure of the capabilities of Live, but in S1 you can run the backing tracks while recording.

Start researching Dante and AVB. Dante, for example, will enable you to have a second computer on the network to run backing tracks. And with Dante Via software, it will create a dante enabled device out of the second PC and sound card. I have not seen enough on AVB to know if the same thing will be possible with AVB.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by stephenbish on Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:08 pm
Thanks Matt
Actually the cross-grade price is $419.99 Australian. I looked but could not find the VST option you mention but I assume the price you mention is $US. Without 64 bit this would not interest me though. I think if I go ahead with the purchase I will see what I can do with Ableton Live first off, then try the demo of S1.
I was not suggesting running 'Live' and either 'Capture' or 'Studio One'.
I was interested in the possibility of running 'Live' and 'Surface' on my Macbook, thus enabling me to use NI Komplete, Keyboard and software within live, the resulting Audio going live to RM16 and the Mic inputs from the RM16 recorded to audio channels in 'Live' at the same time.
A little side track here but could I use the 'Komplete Kontrol' software in stand alone mode and capture audio in surface?
I would envisage most mixer setup being done pre-show, with 'Surface' on an IPad for hands on control while playing. We are a 4 piece classic rock band with no sound man. Mixing not a big requirement while playing. Also just one general foldback send for which I would imagine using the mono output.
While I am aware that this is total overkill as hardware for my immediate requirements I like the idea of as much future proofing as I can afford. Here I refer to things like in ear monitors and wireless mics etc.
On that point I like the idea of the back Aux outputs for rack mounting in ear sends but is there any way to do that with wireless receivers?
Another thought, given I am likely to have some spare XLR in's. Maybe I could run the NI software ( in 'Live') and controllers on a separate computer and run the 'Babyface' into 2 XLRs. That way I could run both Surface and Capture on another laptop.
Does that make sense?
Once again thanks for your help and for this forum. It is nice to be able to find out as much as possible about a piece of gear before investing in it.
My interest was sparked by some pretty heavy discounts here in Aust. as a result of the import company changing. All in all the chance of getting a 32 channel mixer with 16 mic pres and software control, along with a full DAW for less than $2000 local currency is outstanding value and a chance not to be dismissed lightly.
Even though it is way beyond my current needs it is very attractive. My biggest concern is that it is going to make me want to spend a whole heap more on my PA.
Cheers Steve.

RM16
RME Babyface
by matthewgorman on Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:13 am
Artist is a 64bit daw as it relates to your os and accessing more ram. The 64 bit reference as exclusive to pro is regarding process precision in the background.

You first example to run live would work, as would your second example of running a second computer and the babyface.

For reference to the Artist add on for vst support, there is a link to the store at the top of all forum pages. Look for add ons in the software store.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by stephenbish on Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:57 am
Cool
Thanks for all the info
This is starting to look like a 'no brainer'

RM16
RME Babyface
by stephenbish on Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:10 pm
Ordered it yesterday and should have it early next week. Really looking forward to this. Thanks for your help and I'm sure I'll be back with many questions once I start to explore it. In the appropriate thread of course.
Cheers Steve.

RM16
RME Babyface
by matthewgorman on Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:19 pm
That's awesome. You'll love it.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by OzAmaro on Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:55 am
I also purchased one of the RM32Ai last week. The 96k full 32 with no synch issues is the reason I sold all my FireStudio Project interfaces. The new RM's have the choice BurrBrown ops in them too. The circuitry of the XAMP preamps have been tweaked for recall and great sound. I sold my Allen Heath QU32 for the RM32ai and now....I'm totally all Presonus now in the mixing and DA side. I still use Cubase 8.5 pro...but also evaluating Studio One 3. Who knows....my studio (www.soundhammerstudio.com) may be an all Presonus shop soon :-) Thank you for a great product, its incredible.
by tuongtrante1mike on Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:16 am
Not yet.

20 posts
Page 1 of 1