Discuss Live Sound Situations here. Product Specific questions or posts may be moved to product centric subforums.
10 posts
Page 1 of 1
I was wondering if anyone here at Presonus could shed some light on the status of the StudioLive RM16AI and the StudioLive RML16AI

My case in point is, I ordered a StudioLive RM16AI mixer on July 17, 2016 from a local music store, as I always try and keep my business local if possible, not to mention he is an old friend of mine who took over this store a year ago.

Well 10 days later(July 27th) he told me the new version(RML Series)came out and mine was on back-order and would be a couple more weeks. He told me for a couple hundred more I could get the new version, which he would have in at the end of August.

Well, I decided to stick with the old RM version because I'm needing it for a project and I have injection boxes.

Forward to a little over two weeks, or July 15 and I'm being told it will now be the end of September or a month and a half before I can get the RM16AI. Now I'm told he has the new RML16AI shipping to him August 29th, and of course for a few hundred more I can get that one.

So basically it's taking 2 months to get any version of this mixer. So I guess my question to you at Presonus would be is this, has there been this much trouble getting this product to a local independent shop?

...If not I think I'll get my money back and buy a used RM16AI from a friend of mine, who's taken excellent care of it.
by SwitchBack on Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:06 am
Hi and welcome,

Good questions. Unfortunately (considering your questions) this is a user's forum. You may get some 'experience from others' feedback but for an answer from PreSonus you should contact them directly :)
by Skip Jones on Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:38 am
^^^^^ :thumbup:

Skip

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Windows 10 X 64 : AMD Phenom II X 4 945, ATI Radeon 5450 / 512 RAM - 8GB RAM / 1T SATA, Mac Mini (Late 2014), Faderport and Faderport 8, Yamaha S-08 Synth, Fishman TriplePlay Guitar MIDI, Logidy Controller, assorted PreSonus Gear
by danameisner on Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:29 pm
Yes, I was wondering if anyone else was in the same predicament or if someone from Presonus could confirm the situation.

Here's why my suspicions are up about the matter. When I first went in to order the RM16AI, he said he had a StudioLive 24.4.2 in stock, which he ordered for someone and they decided against it. So he was really, really, really, trying to sell it to me for $1800.... Although it would suit my purposes, it's $800 more and bulky for my needs, where as a rackmount is the ideal mixer my purposes.

So I'm wondering if he's trying to fabricate this back order issue to make me buckle and dish out the extra $800 for StudioLive 24.4.2 he got saddled with... ;) .

Anyway, thanks for the quick response and I'll go ahead and contact support. :)
by SwitchBack on Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:06 pm
Well, you may be on to something if this 24.4.2 is a classic 24.4.2 (not the new AI model). Good mixer but no longer in production, which also means no more firmware upgrades other than the occasional driver update for OS compatibility. Must make it harder to move ;)
by wahlerstudios on Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:32 pm
In Germany at one of the biggest shops RM16AI is not available any more, the arrival of RML16AI is anounced for October 21. Whenever a "Mk II" of a product is anncounced, you will have to wait. Sometimes deliveries vary in weeks in continents and countries. And for sure, this is not a PreSonus specific problem.

My advice is: Get the RM16AI from your friend. It will be the best value for your money and you don't have to wait for anything or anybody. And remember you need a router and an iPad or a computer with firewire to get going.
by danameisner on Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:11 pm
I just wanted to clarify my post(s), that I'm not upset with Presonus in anyway, shape or form :) :oops: .

I just wanted to make sure that the back log was indeed what was going on, and not my buddy that runs the music store trying to sway me to the 24.4.2 he has in stock. The big box stores here in the U.S. (Musicians Friend, AMS, Sweetwater etc...) all have one or both models in stock, or at least they are showing they do....that's what got me thinking. :lol:

On that note, how do I differentiate between the 24.4.2 AI models? If it is one of the newer models, maybe we could strike a if he can't get the RM16AI in? ;)...But I'm really looking for a smaller footprint. If he would of had 16.4.2 AI, I probably would have struck a deal as it's rack mountable.

Regardless, I'll get this worked out one way or another. :)

@Wahlerstudios - I'm FW ready on both my old tower and fresh new build, and made sure my FW card had compatible chipsets...Router ready as well. I've been recording though an antiquated Fostex 450 16 channel fed into a Focusrite Pro 40 Firewire into my DAW Station with StudioOne. I was having really good luck dialing in some decent drum sounds, despite the boards reputation for being noisy. Long story short faders are shot, in addition to some other problems that are surfacing, which is why I'm upgrading.

Thanks for the responses!
by sjc193 on Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:42 pm
danameisner wroteLong story short faders are shot, in addition to some other problems that are surfacing, which is why I'm upgrading.

This is exactly why I have often made the argument to buy an RM mixer. If you can be happy with software based control (like me and I'm a live sound guy!) then you don't need all those mechanical components that can go bad over time, depending on how good the faders/knobs/buttons are made the longer they might last but nothing last forever so if you can live without them that's one less thing to go wrong, forever cause they don't exist. Not only that but it's cheaper!

The RML version is definitely something to think about in a studio, but the price difference (at this point in time) is probably not worth it. I put line levels directly into my RM32 all the time with no problem, I may have the gain set to 0db sometimes but as long as it's not clipping then it comes out clean, if it does clip, a DI with a pad can fix it and I have 6 of them on hand, right? I can remember one time that that has ever really happened and it was only because the player wouldn't turn down enough. That said, if you use very expensive boutique preamps then you would not look too smart to the talent if you plugged into another preamp (even though set to 0db may not cause a measurable negative affect at all, and the talent probably doesn't know what you're plugging into anyway), that is exactly what the RML is designed for, to plug 6 high end boutique preamps into without looking a fool (or possibly being a fool, depends on how big the talent/budget is). If you don't need that then save some money because the RM is exactly the same as the RML in every other way!

Wait until you can get what is best for you for years not what you need tomorrow (rent what you need tomorrow if you have to, 24.4.2 at the shop comes to mind. . .

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by wahlerstudios on Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:34 am
DO NOT BUY THE SL2442! At least not for that money. An old SL is ok, if you need a just mixer, but be aware that this product line (hardware and software) is discontinued.

It makes more sense to look for anything with an AI in its name. You have the rack mixers (RM and RML), the live mixers (SL) and the controller (CS), which can be connected in many ways and variations. One way is AVB, the other way is Dante. Additionally RM's work with just a router and an iPad and SL's are anyway "self standing". A RM can serve as a stagebox for SL or as an independend monitor mixer. Also interesting is to combine (cascade) SL mixers and especially RM mixers. I really enjoy the flexibility I have with 3 boards. Remember: A SL2442 or SL1642 can not be part of the AI network family! That is why I sold my old boards.

I am doing live work mostly, so I can not say what is good for studio work. What I do at home is mixdowns of live recordings (on SL2442AI) plus mastering in Studio One. I can imagine that RM and CS is a very nice team for studio work. The CS is rack mountable, it has the same size as SL1642(AI)...
by danameisner on Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:22 pm
Steve said:
This is exactly why I have often made the argument to buy an RM mixer. If you can be happy with software based control (like me and I'm a live sound guy!) then you don't need all those mechanical components that can go bad over time, depending on how good the faders/knobs/buttons are made the longer they might last but nothing last forever so if you can live without them that's one less thing to go wrong

Wait until you can get what is best for you for years not what you need tomorrow (rent what you need tomorrow if you have to, 24.4.2 at the shop comes to mind. . .

Wahlerstudios said:
DO NOT BUY THE SL2442!

Besides the rack mount/small footprint ability, what Steve said about mechanical components was my exact thinking, and why the RM series fit my bill perfectly.

One of the things my buddy said when initially trying to sell me the 24.4.2AI was that, he didn't like the fader control of the RM series, especially for live sound. He basically said the incremental adjustments on the digital/software faders weren't fine enough for his liking. For me that isn't a detour-ant for what I do.

Besides that, I've another friend of mine, who's also professional recording engineer and does live sound. He let me check out his interface on his RM32AI, and I didn't see any problem with the digital fader control. He Also said "Get the RM SERIES, it's perfect for what your doing and you won't be dissapointed" . He has really been impressed with PreSonus digital mixers in addition to the StudioOne software. This coming from a guy whose been immersed in ProTools since it's inception. He now runs both Pro Tools HD and StudioOne, but actually likes StudioOne better.

Final Verdict, I'm going to be patient and wait for my RM or RML to come in, if I need to I will rent or borrow a board for the time being...Steve you must be reading my thoughts :lol: ...Thanks everyone, Your input is greatly appreciated!!!!

10 posts
Page 1 of 1