Includes StudioLive 312Ai, 315Ai 328Ai and SL18sAi
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
I don't know about for all the models... but the 328 would be a fantastic front fill. Making it low profile by placing it on it's side would be fantastic if a design feature were put in for rotating the horn. Thoughts?
by bitonwalstra on Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:36 am
personally i wouldn't want the have that speaker on it's side; vertical column speakers do project sound better then horizontal wide speakers IMHO

Micro PA;
Apple; MacBook Pro 13", Mid 2010, 8Gb RAM, 500Gb SSD, OS X latest version
Apple; iPad 3, 16Gb, iOS latest version
Asus; S300C Notebook PC, 4Gb RAM, 250Gb HD, Windows 8.1
Studio One; v2, Artist
StudioLive; 16.4.2 (sold)
StudioLive; RM16Ai (returned)
Behringer; X32 Producer (sold)
Behringer; XR18 (ordered)
Electro Voice; ZXA1
Heil Sound; PR22, Handi Mic
Lag; 1984 RockLine Bass
by rpark on Sun May 10, 2015 1:24 pm
It depends on what you are looking for in dispersion. Remember that a center fill often sits between two other columns and you only desire a certain range of coverage to avoid phasing issues. Depending on your situation, a 328 on its side might be perfect. These speakers are used regularly as stage monitors, and are actually designed to be used in either orientation. The sound is not different, only the projection angles.

I also have my 328s set up so I can fly them from a light truss horizontally or vertically (make sure you know what you are doing before attempting this), and will purchase one more 328 so I can use 3 side to side to accomplish a roughly 180 degree coverage in horizontal orientation. This is a sort of flying use of a middle 328Ai, and I expect it to cover intelligibility issues in the center area of the audience when the outer units are widely spaced, while providing better coverage to upper and stage front seating... areas the 60 degree vertical coverage in standard orientation can struggle covering.

All that isn't an answer to your request, but might shine a light on an optional thought or two...

3 posts
Page 1 of 1