Includes StudioLive 312Ai, 315Ai 328Ai and SL18sAi
6 posts
Page 1 of 1
I am considering the purchase of an 18sai for a dual purpose. The first purpose would be a sub for my home theater setup. I like the fact that this sub will reach into the 20-30Hz range with at least some authority. This is crucial for HD audio movie sound tracks. It obviously would not be as good as a dedicated HT sub that extends down below 20Hz at greater than 115dB, but I think it would be sufficient.
The second purpose would be DJ and live gigs every once in a while. That new Presonus SLRM16AI rack mount mixer would be real sweet to run with this.
Anyway, my question is whether the 18sAI would accept an unbalanced signal from my Marantz receiver. It would be about a 40 foot run with shielded coax. RCA at receiver, RCA to XLR adapter at the amp/sub.

Thanks.
Marty
by mwright137 on Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:01 am
The combo inputs will accept balanced or unbalanced 1/4" inputs.

Seems a little much for a home theater, but to each his own...

I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

Studio One 2 Pro 3.3.x (64 bit). MacBook Pro 13". OS X Sierra version 10.12.3.
RM16AI and CS18AI connected in Stagebox mode via MOTU AVB Switch.
StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by roblof on Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:26 am
mwright137 wroteSeems a little much for a home theater, but to each his own...

Maybe, maybe not 8-)

Attachments
image.jpg
Home Theatre

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by martiynicolette on Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:05 pm
Thanks guys. Actually, a good home theater generally has a ton of power at the bottom end in order to reproduce the sub and near sub sonic band found on many Blu-ray's through the LFE channel. Many HT's will even have multiple subs in order to evenly distribute the low frequencies and avoid the dead spots where the frequencies get cancelled out. The 18sAI does not go as low as I would ideally want (at least according to the specs), but for a dual purpose I feel it will work until I can get a dedicated HT sub. If it works well, I will even consider keeping it for that purpose. I did a lot of research and found that for a pro audio sub, the 18sAI reaches lower or as low as any other sub in the MI and even the professional tier.
by martiynicolette on Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:43 pm
Well I got the 18sAI and calibrated it to my receiver and room with Audyssey. Much to my surprise, the unbalanced direct connection via 40 feet of shielded coax is producing a very clean signal throughout the full range of the level adjustment. I needed no ground lift. I have this plugged into a wireless controlled outlet, and there is absolutely no pops or clicks when I power it up or down.
The first movie I put in was the Lord of the Rings (Return of the King) bluray. The 18sAI did a very good job of reproducing the LFE channel once I made a small adjustment (1.5dB LFE increase) after Audyssey. It does a good job with deep bass, but I am still not quite sure yet how low it will go. I will run some test tones through it when I get a chance. I do know it was rocking the sofa pretty good :D
Concert blurays sounded quite good as well. I think a an adjustment with the delay settings on the receiver will bring it all together quite nicely, as the music sounded a little "loose" on some discs.
I haven't had this out in a live venue yet, but I am confident that it will be a performer. All in all, I am real happy with this unit thus far, and I am looking forward to getting it zero'd in over the next few weeks.
by bmullens on Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:08 pm
Would you consider posting your review of the sub for us on a few sites or just the dealer from which you purchased it from?

6 posts
Page 1 of 1