Includes StudioLive 312Ai, 315Ai 328Ai and SL18sAi
13 posts
Page 1 of 1
I just purchased two AI 18 sub woofers two days before. Awaiting two nos of AI 328 this week. I posted the below in pre sales area to get advise from users. So far 67 users read my post but no comments received. This forum look like inactive. Anyway I took a brave decision to go for two AI 18 subs and two AI 328 tops. Below is my posting from Pre sales. Any advise and comments most welcome.

Dear users
I am located in Abu Dhabi. I am planning to buy a compact yet powerful sound system for weekend rentals. Main use will be rental for small DJ, wedding, conference events indoors. Two full range active tops and two active subs should fit in my Honda MRV(like Pilot) SUV car. My research narrowed down to the below models.
Presonus AI 328 tops+AI18 subs (133db+135db)
Yamaha DSR 112 tops+ DXR18 subs (134 db+ 136 db)
Montarbo W17AS tops+ EARTH118 subs (133db+ 135db)
FBT ProMaxx14a tops+Subline18SA subs (135 db+137 db)
Now the dealer has only two tops on stock so I have to wait for few more weeks for subs.
All four options are compact and powerful (133 to 137 db SPL). All four choices are good sounding and priced similar. After listening to all of them I prefer to go for Presonus. I like the sound of 8” very much.
I need your advise what kind of coverage two tops and two subs will provide? In case of small outdoors how many seats and how far the coverage will be.

My main concern is two subs will perform loud enough with two tops? I read good reviews about AI 328,but no comments about AI18 subs.In Bennett's Quick and Dirty Sound System recommendation he suggested, AI328 with JBL PRX 718s XLF subs. Just wondering if PRX 718s XLF is superior to AI18 subs? In indoors for small rock bands and DJ how many seats it will cover reasonably? Any users please advise.
by Josh Ramses on Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:13 pm
That was the very reason I did NOT buy the Presonus speakers. Zero Feedback from here.
I ended getting the new SRX JBL series speakers. I really love them.
I wish you well.
by matthewgorman on Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:31 pm
Sometimes people take vacations.

I have on multiple occassions (do not own) used a combination of 2 315's, 2 312's, and 2 318's. Indoors I use the 312's as tops and the 315's as wedges. Reverse of that for outdoors. In my experience, I had more than enough headroom. Rooms played were probably up to 400-500 capacity banquet halls, and nightclubs. Outdoors in an open field.

Was really surprised at the throw/coverage when using outdoors. Most times the setup is simple main outs into the sub, sub to top. You can get more juice from the subs by feeding them via na aux, but I had no need for that. The last outdoor show was a croquet tournament, not a concert. I covered an area close to 75 yards at about 50% on the mixer. Similar results indoors, plenty of headroom.

I have heard users talk about the lack of gain in the systems, but in similar venues as you describe I did not experience that. Its important to know what the use was when reading a review. What I can tell you for sure, it is one of the cleanest sounding rigs I have come across.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by petermartel1 on Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:07 pm
Yeah, I think you are in great shape. I just got two 328s and only one sub AI18, for a 300 seat theater and I have a ton more than I need. I flattened out the EQ for the room and had plenty of sub, but good to have two subs if you are going to use it outdoors. Dialed back the max w/ SLRoom Control to keep others from blowing ear drums. Only frustration (so far) is the difficulty in sharing SL Room Control presets, but that wouldn't keep me from buying them, just a frustration that has to be obvious (perhaps the software engineers need some help?)
by pradeepkumar1 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:31 pm
Thanks for your reply Matt and Peter,
Now I have confidence in my system. Yesterday I collected two AI 328. Also Soundcraft GB2-16, TC electronics M350, KT SQ one graphic EQ, Sennheiser XSW65, XSW12 wireless etc. Let me put together and I will update you.
by matthewgorman on Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:33 pm
Damn, you did some shopping fella. Good luck. I think you'll like it.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by pradeepkumar1 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:36 pm
It was fun to collect the stuff from Dubai and driving back to my home city Abu Dhabi in my Honda MRV. The whole package easily fits in my car.
by matthewgorman on Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:37 pm
That woun't be the case when you have the subs. They're pretty big

Matt

S1Pro V5
by pradeepkumar1 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:41 pm
Matt, If I fold the seats 2 subs 2 tops and my mixer racks fits perfectly. Honda MRV is very spacious. While doing my research for my speaker purchase, I researched for a car as well. So bought the car before I buy the system. Thank God. :D
by matthewgorman on Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:55 pm
You certainly did your homework. I rarely have that much foresight.

Congrats on the purchases

Matt

S1Pro V5
by pradeepkumar1 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:27 pm
Thanks Matt
by Dale Christenson on Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:59 pm
I will chime in on the 328ai speakers.

I have been doing sound since 1986, and as such never tried active speakers until this year.
First of all, I could not find any of the Presonus speakers on display anywhere in my area. After all, I wanted to hear them first. So, after contacting Rick, I was introduced to a fella in Dallas who sent a pair of 328s to Tulsa for me to listen to. When they arrived, the music store called me and I went right over to try them out. I really wanted to just rent them for a night and connect them to my system as that's a known quantity. But, I did not. I heard them play some music off my iPhone and that was enough for me to know that they would just about replace the big and heavy tops I was using. Those are the Peavey DTH S4 tops with 2 15" and a 2" horn tweeter.
After updating the speakers I get more output from them. That was awesome!
So far, I have about 20 shows on them. I have switched out my big heavy speakers out for the 328s now on every show. With only one exception for a huge Halloween show at a big theater. I use both sets for that one.

All in all, I am very happy with the speakers. They sound very good, and I get surprised looks from musicians who have used my services before and after. They all comment how good they sound and that they are way better than the old ones.

my $0.02

Sound 4-U! reinforcement and mobile recording serving Tulsa and surrounding areas.
Dale Christenson

StudioLive RM32ai
StudioLive RML32ai
CS18ai
MOTU AVB switch
ULT15 x6
ULT18 x2
SL AI328 speakers x4
StudioLive 16.4.2 classic
Windows 8.1 SSD computer with UC Surface, Capture2, and StudioOne2 Producer
by pradeepkumar1 on Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:48 am
Thank you Dale for your comments. Nice to hear from a happy user.

13 posts
Page 1 of 1