Includes StudioLive 312Ai, 315Ai 328Ai and SL18sAi
9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hope someone can clarify this for me just looking at the Ai speakers to replace some existing gear and tend to work on RMS rating in order to help put a system together the tops give a total power of 2k and the subs 1k but does anyone know the RMS rating of these units please.

Just purchased the 32Ai console arriving this week :-)

Any help with the above would be appreciated thanks in advance

Anthony
Isle of Man
UK
by miltondavis on Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:20 pm
Hello Anthony,

Sadly, the days of RMS ratings for power amplifiers has largely been replaced by meaningless big numbers to appear impressive. The AI speakers have such a "peak power" rating. Regardless of the numbers, they sound wonderful.

I had the same power rating question. An RMS rating is a continuous sustained power level rather than the momentary power level implied by the larger numbers. Presonus is either unable or unwilling to provide RMS ratings. However, power is power and it's rated in Watts. So, my ultimate answer to this question was to look at the AC power input rating. The 328AI speakers have an input power rating of 250W and a note that says "1/8 power". I'm not sure what that last bit means. The 250W rating tells me that the RMS power of the amplifiers is something below 250W. (nothing is perfectly efficient) You simply can't manufacture free Watts. The implication of the "1/8" power is that the speaker can produce 8 times the input power rating. If so, a single speaker, if continuously driven would draw 2,000W. Plugging two into a wall outlet would trip a breaker pretty quickly. Of course, music doesn't work this way. The 250W rating is probably an average.

We are best served to use our ears. In addition, I sure would like to have the old apples-to-apples ratings that RMS offered us for so many years.

Regards,
Milton Davis
SL16.4.2, MacBook Pro, Win 7 64bit, FaderPort, HP4, AB22VSL, iPad 3
JBL PRX615 mains, DB Technologies FM12 monitors
by SwitchBack on Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:58 pm
Try to compare on SPL ratings.

RMS ratings are relevant for power amps to ensure a good speaker match. For active speakers RMS ratings become insignificant because the match is a done deal. RMS ratings plus speaker ratings (efficiency, coverage angle, ...) eventually result in an SPL rating at a given distance. With active speakers you simply jump to the end result.
by mwright137 on Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:03 pm
In my experience with the 328's, they are never as loud as other systems, but they are much clearer. I run sound at a Harley dealer for their "Summer Concert Series" and all I use for tops is a single pair of 328's. I was always worried I wasn't being "loud" enough. Then the owner stops by last weekend and shakes my hand (first time ever) and says "sounded great - you could hear the band clearly all through the parking lot."

That is what I paid for when I bought these speakers, and I'm glad others can hear the same thing I do.

And to be honest, I'm thinking of rolling back the firmware to the pre +10bB boost. I used to run my speakers with the knobs all the way up and they work perfectly. Now I need to adjust the knobs to take that 10dB off the top.

I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

Studio One 2 Pro 3.3.x (64 bit). MacBook Pro 13". OS X Sierra version 10.12.3.
RM16AI and CS18AI connected in Stagebox mode via MOTU AVB Switch.
StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by gadget69 on Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:16 am
Advertising hyperbole... my bucket is bigger than yours...a way for me to show you how much better, bigger, louder, lighter, cleaner... sensing a pattern here?

I have a good, if technical white paper by Tom Danley (renowned rocket scientist and speaker designer) where he points out that technical specs can be made to show almost ANYTHING!..and are HIGHLY suspect.. at best.

To the buyer beware, some things can't be left solely to spec's and advertising hype...

Tower:
Asus Crosshair V formula Z motherboard
AMD FX9590 4.0 GHZ 8 CORE CPU
16GB 2400MHZ RAM CAS8
512 GB SSD PRIMARY HDD
1.5 TB THOSHIBA 128MB 7200 RPM DRIVE
2.0 TB WD BLACK 256 MB 7200 RPM DRIVE
AMD R9-290 4GB VIDEO CARD
Windows 7 P sp1
2006 Imac
Lenovo thinkpad Z565 upgraded with a Quad core processor, SSD and maxed out 8GB ram
Win7 Sp1
Mac 2006
Ipad 3,
Ipad 4,
Ipad Mini
Iphone 6s+
Audiobox USB
1818VSL
i2
Studiolive 2442Ai
SL 16.4.2 X 2
Studio 1/3pro
Sony Sound Forge 10
Engineer / producer
Owner Twilite Zone productions
Owner Studio G
by sjc193 on Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:17 pm
I miss the days of speaker sensitivity ratings. Albeit they may be a bunch of BS, at least it gave me an idea how loud it would get.

My pioneer home speakers with 1 inch domes that I use for my Center channel in the home theater are 89 db at 1W at 1 meter. My TurboSound TMS-1 speakers (pro sound) that I use for Left and Right in my home theater are 102 db at 1W at 1 meter. So that tells me I have to bring the center channel up 13 db to match the turbosounds, I ran the auto setup from my Pioneer 7.1 reciever (similar to smaart with the pink noise and all kinds of goofy noises that it analyzes) and it set the center channel almost exactly 13 db louder than the Left and Right, pretty cool!

But now with my QSC KW153's I have no idea what the sensitivity of the speaker itself is, because it is powered they have already matched the amp to the speaker, but personally I would still like to know what the sensitivity of the speaker was at 1 watt/1 meter more than anything just so I can tell people my speaker play at 103 db on only 1 watt! It's fun! OK maybe I'm compensating for something else. . .

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by SwitchBack on Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:47 pm
gadget69 wroteAdvertising hyperbole... my bucket is bigger than yours...a way for me to show you how much better, bigger, louder, lighter, cleaner... sensing a pattern here?

I have a good, if technical white paper by Tom Danley (renowned rocket scientist and speaker designer) where he points out that technical specs can be made to show almost ANYTHING!..and are HIGHLY suspect.. at best.

To the buyer beware, some things can't be left solely to spec's and advertising hype...
Agreed! But for a ballpark number you still need, eeh, a number ;)
by matthewgorman on Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:05 pm
SwitchBack wrote
gadget69 wroteAdvertising hyperbole... my bucket is bigger than yours...a way for me to show you how much better, bigger, louder, lighter, cleaner... sensing a pattern here?

Agreed! But for a ballpark number you still need, eeh, a number ;)

phpBB [video]

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by gadget69 on Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:25 am
As Danley also stated, (at least for live sound) a better spec is always 10 meters @ 10 watts. Powered loudspeakers don't have sensitivity ratings because the volume control makes such a thing difficult at best, add to that software updates that can change input sensitivity, such as The Ai speakers.

The problem with MAX SPL specs is, that by playing a little bit with the numbers you can make a speaker that REALLY can only average/max provide 125dB, look like it can do 136dB... when in reality that spec is derived from a milisecond burst, usually @ a center frequency from the most efficient component in the speaker, the horn.

Another funny thing about SPL is that when you add sufficient bass to the sound, you can also get the overall SPL higher, as the perceived overall volume is less than with just mids and highs...

We all know the horror of a system poorly tuned and sporting FAR too much 2k-5K... producing ear fatigue very quickly.

Tower:
Asus Crosshair V formula Z motherboard
AMD FX9590 4.0 GHZ 8 CORE CPU
16GB 2400MHZ RAM CAS8
512 GB SSD PRIMARY HDD
1.5 TB THOSHIBA 128MB 7200 RPM DRIVE
2.0 TB WD BLACK 256 MB 7200 RPM DRIVE
AMD R9-290 4GB VIDEO CARD
Windows 7 P sp1
2006 Imac
Lenovo thinkpad Z565 upgraded with a Quad core processor, SSD and maxed out 8GB ram
Win7 Sp1
Mac 2006
Ipad 3,
Ipad 4,
Ipad Mini
Iphone 6s+
Audiobox USB
1818VSL
i2
Studiolive 2442Ai
SL 16.4.2 X 2
Studio 1/3pro