Includes StudioLive 312Ai, 315Ai 328Ai and SL18sAi
9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Today I confirmed what I thought all along, the 312AI's audio output (SPL) is low compared to other speakers.

I felt this from day one when I replaced my RCF 500a's with the 312AI on FOH duty. No comparison in SPL.

I placed a 312AI (with most recent firmware) and a Yamaha DSR112 on stands @6’ apart outdoors. Put one on L main output and the other on the R main output of a small mixer so I could use pan knob to hear each speaker on its own and together. Played tracks off my Galaxy S6 thru a Rapco LTIBLOX to the mixer (“This Is Radio Clash” –The Clash off “Hits Back” also “Dock Of The Bay” – The Persuasions (a cappella) and “Smells Like Teen Spirit” – Nirvana (2011 remaster) all 26/96 from HDTracks). Adjusted the input of each speaker to just under lighting their clip lights. 312AI line input and speaker output at full-volume and the DSR112 input at a smidge over 12 o’clock. No EQ or DSP curves engaged on either speaker or mixer.

When I had them both playing at the same time, I could barely hear the 312AI under the DSR112. Not even close in sheer SPL.

With levels matched between speakers or played individually – the 312AI sounded much better. More smooth. No piercing high end. Very hi-fi. The DSR112 is a very bright box but has nice low end for a box of its size.

We swapped in a QSC K12 for the hell of it. Same deal with SPL against the 312AI. The K12 had a smoother high end than the DSR112. Similar SPL. Audio quality at matched levels, 312AI was still king.

I work with loud rock cover bands in @300 ppl capacity clubs. The 312AI do not cut it for me as FOH speakers (over subs, hi-passed at @80Hz). The SPL just isn't there and this test confirmed it. I have four-312AI and will use them as stage monitors where I’m sure they will shine. I read a review that said the horns can be rotated for monitor use – but will probably void the warranty (a measly 1-year).

I wasn't crazy about how the DSR112 sounded. I'm leaning towards a pair of Yorkville PS12p for FOH duty.

If you do not require very high SPL level from your FOH speakers (wedding band, solo artists, jazz) or will use them as stage monitors, the 312AI sound great. You will not be disappointed.

i9-9900K running at 5GHz with H115iPro, 32GB DDR4-3200 CAS14 RAM, Twin Samsung 970 Pro NVMe drives, Win10 Pro. Studio One 5 Pro. Studio 192 interface with a Digimax FS converting outboard preamps.
Completed build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/scredly/builds/
by sjc193 on Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:03 am
I went with the QSC KW153's this year and I litterally had the Cops talking to me last night :lol: :twisted: . They were great, they said "I know you have a permit, and we really have nothing against what's happening here, this band is great, but we are really getting sick of dealing with all the phone calls and I am not doing it all night tonight!" LOL I said they only have 20 minutes left (over at 9:30pm) do you weant me to turn it down? and they said "No that's OK we can deal with it for another 20 minutes, no big deal" Ha! Of couse this was right Downtown outside in the fancy park that basically was created for this type of thing, but then again there are some people that "live in the area".

Anyways, Ya, the KW153's are LOUD 8-) been real happy with them, that small horn on the AI's is just not going to be that loud and I think it everything else is front loaded 8's or 12's or whatever they just aren't going to project without massive amounts of power that they probably can't handle anyways. But that is pretty cool that they sound as good as you describe because that can be even more important than how loud they are a lot of times, sounds like they would make great monitors! Or maybe even installed speakers at a restraunt/venue where they kind of have them pointing down from the ceiling all around the whole restraunt, could probably create a sweet system that way.

It's all relative, I have some Turbosounds with just 2 10 inch speakers and a 1 inch bullet, one 10 inch is on a folded horn and the other is on a big mid range straight horn (the 2 10's have totally different properties I'm sure) then the kind of little 1 inch horn bullet (handles 200 watts by itself!) and to get to my point, these things absolutely floor the KW153's in sound pressure level! Once I put them next to the KW's to get more coverage at gig and I had to turn them down 15 db to get them to match up to the KW's :P but the TurboSounds are just so directional that I couldn't take it anymore so I went out and got the KW153's and am very happy with that decision! But I do a lot of outdoor gigs, so I just knew by looking at the AI speakers that they wouldn't work for me, but that's not to say they won't work great for many many other people.

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by rolandclarke on Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:55 pm
[email protected] wroteToday I confirmed what I thought all along, the 312AI's audio output (SPL) is low compared to other speakers.

I felt this from day one when I replaced my RCF 500a's with the 312AI on FOH duty. No comparison in SPL.

I placed a 312AI (with most recent firmware) and a Yamaha DSR112 on stands @6’ apart outdoors. Put one on L main output and the other on the R main output of a small mixer so I could use pan knob to hear each speaker on its own and together. Played tracks off my Galaxy S6 thru a Rapco LTIBLOX to the mixer (“This Is Radio Clash” –The Clash off “Hits Back” also “Dock Of The Bay” – The Persuasions (a cappella) and “Smells Like Teen Spirit” – Nirvana (2011 remaster) all 26/96 from HDTracks). Adjusted the input of each speaker to just under lighting their clip lights. 312AI line input and speaker output at full-volume and the DSR112 input at a smidge over 12 o’clock. No EQ or DSP curves engaged on either speaker or mixer.

When I had them both playing at the same time, I could barely hear the 312AI under the DSR112. Not even close in sheer SPL.

With levels matched between speakers or played individually – the 312AI sounded much better. More smooth. No piercing high end. Very hi-fi. The DSR112 is a very bright box but has nice low end for a box of its size.

We swapped in a QSC K12 for the hell of it. Same deal with SPL against the 312AI. The K12 had a smoother high end than the DSR112. Similar SPL. Audio quality at matched levels, 312AI was still king.

I work with loud rock cover bands in @300 ppl capacity clubs. The 312AI do not cut it for me as FOH speakers (over subs, hi-passed at @80Hz). The SPL just isn't there and this test confirmed it. I have four-312AI and will use them as stage monitors where I’m sure they will shine. I read a review that said the horns can be rotated for monitor use – but will probably void the warranty (a measly 1-year).

I wasn't crazy about how the DSR112 sounded. I'm leaning towards a pair of Yorkville PS12p for FOH duty.

If you do not require very high SPL level from your FOH speakers (wedding band, solo artists, jazz) or will use them as stage monitors, the 312AI sound great. You will not be disappointed.

Have you checked out the firmware update? I read somewhere else that another user had issues with level being 10db down, but corrected with a firmware update.
by Josh Ramses on Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:10 pm
I was also in the market for some new powered speakers. I looked at many different brands including the 312i. But I found so little feedback and user reviews that I could not decide if these were a trued and tried speaker. I end up getting JBL speakers. Why? 3 year warranty, also they have been making speakers for some time. Another big reason is, if the need arises, I can them repaired locally, without having to ship them out.
by [email protected] on Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:25 am
Yup. Has most recent firmware.

rolandclarke wrote
[email protected] wroteI placed a 312AI (with most recent firmware)

Have you checked out the firmware update? I read somewhere else that another user had issues with level being 10db down, but corrected with a firmware update.

i9-9900K running at 5GHz with H115iPro, 32GB DDR4-3200 CAS14 RAM, Twin Samsung 970 Pro NVMe drives, Win10 Pro. Studio One 5 Pro. Studio 192 interface with a Digimax FS converting outboard preamps.
by [email protected] on Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:32 am
If they supply enough SPL for your application, they do sound great.

The PreSonus warranty is quite stingy. Almost every other speaker mfg. offers at least a three-year warranty.

I ordered a 5th one last week. New in the box. I'll sell it at my cost to avoid paying return shipping costs. $800 + s/h from 02914.

by P.A.LOVER on Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:59 pm
This has not been my experience i have the 328ai and its very loud i went from an FBT Verve 115a
which has good bottom end output for an M.I. product better than your PRX715 , SRM650 , DXR15 ETC.
It also sounds the best with B&C drivers etc but the 328ai has surprised me it goes hard even in full
range with it's tiny 8" woofers especially when i run it with a Behringer Ultramizer it's a multi band limiter, bass and hi end enhancer compressor etc) most people laugh at it until they hear what it can do, it gives most speakers a real fat bottom end and when i use it with the 328's they sound
close to an M.I. box with 12"s .

But they really shine when i pair them with a subwoofer in my case a DB TECH SUB18H which is about one and a half times more powerful than a PRX618XLF (i did the test) this sub was also a bit louder than the Presonus sub i also compared it to(which was also a bit awkward to carry) otherwise i would have gone with a complete Presonus system.

I've noticed that most people who go for a full Presonus setup go with the 328's for F.O.H.
and the 312's for foldback that was probably the way to go but if the 328's are not loud enough then you probably need real hi end stuff that will set you back a fair bit of cash.

I think the 328's are great and they are loud i was testing them out with the sub the other day (crossed over at 90 hz) and you cannot stand 20 feet away at hi volumes as they will be painfull theyre not harsh but the sheer volume will hurt you ,the DSR112 is a harsh sounding speaker in my opinion you have to eq them a fair bit to get them sounding good + i absolutely hate the handle on top with no side handles surprising mistake from Yamaha.

I also own a DXR12 for smaller gigs and foldback, it puts out some great volume but lacks a bit in the midrange not a deal breaker but they could have designed it a bit better like finding a happy medium between it and the DSR112 having said that they are a rock solid box.
by kennyjoseph on Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:11 am
Hey bro what kind of range do you get from the asus rt n66u I am looking to purchase one for my needs as well thanks
by sjc193 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:00 am
kennyjoseph wroteHey bro what kind of range do you get from the asus rt n66u I am looking to purchase one for my needs as well thanks

I never got a tape measure out or anything, but I would guestimate about 200 ft pretty easily. I believe that it really helps that this router has antenae that stick out of my rack, I just kind of stick them staight out and up a little and it's all good (the router is actually gorilla taped to my old lexicon MPX100 hehe). Last year I did a festival where my rack was on stage and my router antenae were actually facing back toward the back wall of the stage rather than toward the audience and I had absolutely no problem walking around anywhere in the field area. I once started walking way back behind the audience (to relieve myself) and I finally hit the point where it dropped out, I wouldn't be surprised if I was 400 ft away or more, tough to say. I never measured, it has just always worked the way I needed it to for the past three years. I recomend it, cost me $160 three years ago, prolly cheap now. Good Luck!

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine