Includes StudioLive 312Ai, 315Ai 328Ai and SL18sAi
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm the bassist (and sound guy) in a rock cover band. I was convinced we need more low end, so I bought the SL18Ai. Everyone though I was nuts, until they heard it.
Connected the SL16.4.2Ai mains to the sub. Sub outs go to a Yorkville mixer that powers the Yorkville 15"/horn mains. Problem is they can't handle any bass or kick at all. Muddy vocals; it's awful.
So for now, the bass and the kick are sent to SUB3 bus only, and on to the sub. The board's main outs go to the Yorkville mixer and speakers with no bass or kick. Barely adequate, but it works.
Problem is, I know I'm missing the low-mid range that's just above the sub's high-pass filter.
Right now, we are doing outdoor shows, hopefully some bar gigs soon. Of the 312, 315, or 328, which one do you think will give us the low-mid puch that we need?

SL16.4.2Ai, SL312Ai mains, SL18Ai sub, Yorkville M810 Powered Mixed, Lenovo W530 Laptop (i-7 4-core @ 2.7 GHz, 24 GB RAM, 7200 rpm hard drive, 2-nd SSD, Win7 Pro 64 bit), Linksys WRT54GS router, Studio One Pro 3.2, Presonus Fader Port, HP-60 headphone amp, Furman PL-Plus power strip, all in a rolling SKB 2-piece case with A/V shelf.
by Karyn on Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:02 am
The 315's will work well without subs, maybe too much.
The 328's definitely require subs, I have those and I've got subs on order...
The 312 is prolly the best compromise for you if you want a little extra low/mid boost, though I would still recommend the 328's as you're definitely using subs.

For your current setup I'd put the bass and kick back into the mains, then add lots of low roll off (to the main output) from 100Hz. A bass, and especially Kick, has a lot of mid/high needed for clarity.

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by volksware on Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:39 am
Maybe I should clarify.

Besides having monetary issues, we also have transportation issues. (SL18Ai is a beast).

We only have 1 sub.

Karyn, would that make a difference in your recommendation?

Thanx,
Sal

SL16.4.2Ai, SL312Ai mains, SL18Ai sub, Yorkville M810 Powered Mixed, Lenovo W530 Laptop (i-7 4-core @ 2.7 GHz, 24 GB RAM, 7200 rpm hard drive, 2-nd SSD, Win7 Pro 64 bit), Linksys WRT54GS router, Studio One Pro 3.2, Presonus Fader Port, HP-60 headphone amp, Furman PL-Plus power strip, all in a rolling SKB 2-piece case with A/V shelf.
by Karyn on Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:18 am
Best I can say is look at the publicity pictures.

You have an 18ai to compare them to. The 328s are easily transportable and the lightest of the bunch, but also the tallest which might be a factor if it won't physically fit in the available space in your car..

I'm planning on using 2 18Ai subs with my 2 328s. Paired on a pole. 312s might be better if you're only using 1 sub, but it all depends on how much bottom end "whack" you want, or expect.

Remember, when setting up Ai speakers with a sub, you're expected to turn on the HPF to get a "flat" response. You can leave it off to add extra bottom end from the 312 or 328 or whichever you decide. In theory (never works in practice) the 3 speakers should all sound the same with the HPF turned on, so you go for the smaller, lighter ones.

If in doubt, find somewhere you can hear them...

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.

4 posts
Page 1 of 1