Discuss the new PreSonus CS18Ai
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have just switched from analog recording to using a DAW. I have just purchased a CS18 AI a RM16 AI and a new 27" iMac. Using Studio One 3 . What is the best way to hook it up for a permanent installation? It will all arrive this Friday and I want to get it set up right.
I bought the RM16 AI as the interface so I would have enough inputs to keep everything connected at all times since just me and two others are the only ones recording. I will be connecting .......
Eleven rack, Line 6 HD Bass Rack POD, TC Helicon Voicelive rack, Alesis DM10X Drums, Alesis SR18 Drum machine , Motu Keyboard.
I was told ether net from CS18 AI to the iMac then Thunderbolt from iMac to FireWire on the RM16 AI
That doesn't sound right to me.
by matthewgorman on Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:34 am
Are you planning to use the i/o from the CS 18? You will need an AVB router eventualy if you are, but audio over AVB is not ready yet.

To future proff that, I would put a router (wireless preferably) in to the equation. Ethernet the RM, Mac, and CS18 into the router. Have a second connection into the Mac for thunderbolt/firewire to record the audio.

This will give you the ability to control the RM and S1 via the cs 18. It will also give you wireless control over S1 and the RM via the ipad apps if you have an ipad.

When audio over avb comes in to play, you can get an avb router, plug the harware as well as the wireless in to that, and be on your way.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by tobydorsett on Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:35 pm
matthewgorman wrotebut audio over AVB is not ready yet.

Are you saying AVB switches don't support audio yet?
by matthewgorman on Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:26 pm
Not saying that, I'm saying the products you are mentioning don't.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by tobydorsett on Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:16 pm
The manual says to use a AVB switch to connect the RM16 and the CS18. There are only to AVB switches that are compatible with the RM and CS. I went to the PreSonus Knowledge base and it says the MOTU and the Extreme Networks Summit -X 440-Series both pass audio. You have to firmware update the MOTU.
I'm pretty bummed about the RM16. I didn't realize the inputs were regular XLR instead of mic/line. I'm going to sell it and get two Firestudio Projects and link them together I guess. I don't think they're compatible with iMac Yosemite 10.10 yet. I don't understand why PreSonus didn't build the CS18 AI with 16 mic/line inputs like they did on the 16.4.2 AI mixers. It would have made life so much easier. It's a control surface for S1 3. Build it with the interface built in! Or build a 16 input interface instead of the ones with just 8. Hell, most drum sets use a least 8! They say "record your whole band!" Yeah right. If you're a 3 piece band with a electric drum kit.
Anyway, I really struck out on my first attempt to go digital. i didn't research thing enough. Now I'm dead in the water until I go and buy more stuff. Arrrrrrrrg!
by tobydorsett on Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:23 pm
P.S. Hey PreSonus, ever hear of Thunderbolt? Adapters .......... Arrrrrrrg! again.
by tobydorsett on Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:51 am
Well, I've done everything I've been told to do and I still can't get this system to work for me. I purchased the PreSonus recommended AVB box from MOTU. I purchased a 8 channel DI rack so I could use 1/4" inputs on the things I needed to.
Here's what I have hooked up.
Wireless modem connected to the AVB box
CS18 connected to the AVB box
RM16 connected to the AVB box
iMac (Yosemite 10.10 OS) connected to AVB box
RM16 connected to iMac via FireWire /Thunderbolt
Running Studio One 3
PreSonus Monitor Station
DI rack into RM16

Firmware is up to date on everything. Nothing works. No sound. Sometimes I show I'm getting a signal on the CS ,RM and S1 sometimes I don't . Sometimes the CS controls the S1 most of the time it doesn't . Never any sound.
by timmorris on Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:03 am
My initial connection issues were due to a cheap FW cable, replaced with a Lindy cable all works fine....possible for you?

Have you connected the CS18 direct to the Mac and see if UC works?

Presonus 16.4.2 - Mac mini 2.3G i7, 16G Ram, Faderport - S1 -3 Pro
Novation Impulse 49 - Yamaha HS7 - Kemper Profiler -
SE 3300 - SE2200 - SE Reflexion - EBMM AAxis super sport - Taylor 414CE - PRS 513.

8 posts
Page 1 of 1