image description

Universal controll will not work on Windows 7
  Forum Index » FireStudio Forum Community Support 
Author
Prenoob

Hi,

I have a problem with Presonus Firestudio and Universal controll, I't will not work on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I have dual boot with two separate harddrives on my computer and my other system is Win XP, on XP everthing works fine.

On Win 7 the Universal controll freeze when I try to start the program, but I think the drivers is ok beacuse the blue lamp on my Fierstudio have a constant blue light, not the red and blue flashing.

Does anyone have any tips on what to do to get the Universal controll to work?
minezis
Prenoob

i had the same problem but got it figured out. follow these steps.

go to : start-computer-system properties-device manager-double click on IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers- right click the driver 1394 and click " update driver software", then "browse my computer for driver software", then "let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" and you should see a device driver called "OHCI compliant host controller (legacy)" you want to install this driver in order for the firestudio and universal control to work together properly. After you have installed the new driver I recommend restarting your computer. After the computer restarts your going to notice that the universal control opens but is really laggy. Go down to the task manager in the bottom right hand corner and click on the universal control icon, a smaller box will appear with all the sample rates etc. click on settings, CHECK FIRMWARE. It will probably find new firmware to install(DO NOT POWER DOWN THE FIRESTUDIO!!!!!) After the installation is complete, you will need turn off the power on the firestudio and back on (this allows the new firmware you just installed on the firestudio to become active!) Thats it! should solve all your problems as it did mine. Let me know if you have any other issues.
busse
Prenoob

Thanks for your answer, I will try this tomorrow. I'll be back with the result.
minezis
Prenoob

any luck????
busse
Prenoob

Yes, a bit of luck, enough to work. tI work if I have my Firestudio off, boot the computer, turn on Universal control and then turn on the Firestudio. But if I shut down Universal control and the try to restart it again Universal control will freeze. If I turn off the Firestudio the I can start the Universal control starts but It wont found a driver for the Firestuio, Universal control shows driver 0.0.0.

Any way, it works enough for me I have done the settings and they are they are same everytime I start Cubase. If I have to do some changes in the settings for the Firestudio I just can reboot the computer, turn off the firestudio, start Universal control, turn on the Firestudio and do the changes in Universal control.

If anyone know how to get the Universal Control to work so you just can start it anytime with out turn off the Firestudio, reboot, etc I'm interested of that.
minezis
Prenoob

well it seems that you might be having firewire issues. what firewire card etc. are you working with? for example is it T.I. (Texas Instruments) ? Texas Instrument Firewire chipset, cards are usually what majority of people use with there presonus equipment that is firewire based. I personally have VIA which seems to be working flawlessly. You can look here: http://www.presonus.com/media/pdf/hardware_compatibility.pdf for compatibility charts with firewire devices. If you followed every step above and your running windows 7 x64 or 32x bit there should not have been any issues. Double check and make sure you installed the firmware and after the firmware was downloaded properly, restart the firestudio (off/on) very simple) if my solution above does not solve the problem its most likely your firewire card, chipset your using. If you onboard firewire chipset is not on the list of compatible devices, i would recommen buying a pci or pcie firewire card with the TI chipset or any other firewire cards that are on the list. hope this solves your problem. let me know if you still need some help.
minezis
Prenoob

another thing i forgot to add. make sure that your firestudio is off during all driver updates and or installation drivers (universal control) for firmware you leave the firestudio on. if your firestudio is on during this process there could be some driver issues. if you installed the latest version of universal control while the firestudio was on.....well that could also be your issue. if this happened i recommend uninstalling and reinstalling everything with the power off. This tutorial should help you with anything driver related that your experiencing. http://support.presonus.com/entries/113134-firestudio-family-how-do-i-uninstall-reinstall-my-firestudio-drivers-in-microsoft-windows

like i said after you have done this correctly (uninstalling/ installing) you should have a fresh start from there and everything should be working properly. if not then its definately the firewire card or chipset your currently using. hope this helps

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 17/04/2011 18:44:01

jabtel
Prenoob

I have a Firestudio 26x26. I have Windows 7 64 Pro. Here is what fixed it.

You need the v3.0.108 driver which is here;
http://alturl.com/fze2g

You need an XP computer with firewire. Disconnect the Firestudio. Uninstall the older presonus driver from XP.
Reboot.
Install v3.0.108.
When finished installing Connect the Firestudio.
Let XP install the Firestudio.
v3.0.108 will then tell you that you need to upgrade firware. You may need to start the Firestudio software first.
Do the upgrade using v3.0.108.
It will reboot the firestudion and the firmware will be upgraded,
turn off the fire studio.
Uninstall v3.0.108 from the XP
reboot.
install the universal control ver 1_2 on the xp.
When finished turn the firestudio on.
Let XP install the drivers
When finished start the Universal control software
Right click the icon in the system tray to "show launcher"
on launcher go to settings - check firmware
it will want to upgrade the firmware, let it do so
when finished it will tell you that firestudio firmware upgrade is complete when you powercycle the firestudio.
Close the Universal control software and powercycle the firestudio.

On Win7 computer, remove Presonus software (if present) and reboot.
Install Universal control
connect firestudio.
jabtel
Prenoob

jabtel wrote:I have a Firestudio 26x26. I have Windows 7 64 Pro. Here is what fixed it.

You need the v3.0.108 driver which is here;
http://alturl.com/fze2g

You need an XP computer with firewire. Disconnect the Firestudio. Uninstall the older presonus driver from XP.
Reboot.
Install v3.0.108.
When finished installing Connect the Firestudio.
Let XP install the Firestudio.
v3.0.108 will then tell you that you need to upgrade firware. You may need to start the Firestudio software first.
Do the upgrade using v3.0.108.
It will reboot the firestudion and the firmware will be upgraded,
turn off the fire studio.
Uninstall v3.0.108 from the XP
reboot.
install the universal control ver 1_2 on the xp.
When finished turn the firestudio on.
Let XP install the drivers
When finished start the Universal control software
Right click the icon in the system tray to "show launcher"
on launcher go to settings - check firmware
it will want to upgrade the firmware, let it do so
when finished it will tell you that firestudio firmware upgrade is complete when you powercycle the firestudio.
Close the Universal control software and powercycle the firestudio.

On Win7 computer, remove Presonus software (if present) and reboot.
Install Universal control
connect firestudio.

Personally, I find it unfathomable that Presonus doesnt just post these instructions, that Presonus doesnt just make this old driver available instead of removing access to it. What did they do, hire the CEO of a competing company to "fix" things?

This ordeal was an enournous pain. After reading the help I saw others getting I had to scour through dozens of fake driver download sites in order to find it. Had they just posted a top level thread and made v3.0.1 available they wouldnt have half the trouble tickets they probably have.

mdtaylor67
Prenoob

When I downloaded the zip folder it was empty!
So I deleted it and tried again to no avail.
I just get a empty zip folder !
mdtaylor67
Prenoob

File Details:
Filename: PreSonus FireStudio 26x26 Installer v3.0.1.exe.zip
Size: 0 KB, Type: zip
Date Posted: Friday, 20th May 2011, 10:49
JonnyGinese
Prenoob

Is this the same issue as having a SOLID RED LIGHT? I just got a used Firestudio 2626 today and i have a solid Red Light on it and Windows 7 doesn't even recognize me plugging in anything...
http://TutorialsForReaper.com
http://RecordingWithReaper.com
[WWW]
JonnyGinese
Prenoob

heres that file(if it lets me upload an EXE)
PreSonus FireStudio 26x26 Installer v3.0.1.exe
 Description Heres that file DLed [Disk] Download
 Filesize 2598 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  382 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 21/05/2011 03:15:42

http://TutorialsForReaper.com
http://RecordingWithReaper.com
[WWW]
jabtel
Prenoob

Link works for me when I click on it.

This problem was the blue light problem, it finds the presonus but doesnt talk to it.

I got it all working today doing exactly what I posted above.
Win 7 64bit - presonus firestudio.

Im using Cubase 4, Groove Agent & Wavelab on Win 7 64 with Firestudio & Digimax FS

jabtel
Prenoob

I got this in an email from support, but I I fixed it using the steps above.

"try and see if you can force the Firestudio to update the firmware. You do this by going to the Settings menu under Universal Control, and hold [Ctrl-Alt] on the keyboard while clicking Check Firmware. Follow the onscreen instructions for updating the firmware. You should get the latetest firmware updated to your unit. This will also reset the unit back to the factory settings. "

Forum Index » FireStudio Forum Community Support
Go to: