image description

mixdown to audio file
  Forum Index » Studio One FAQ 
Author
Prenoob
[Avatar]

Hi there,
I recorded a few songs at our rehearsal with our StudioLive 24.4.2 and Studio One Artist. In Studio One I used the template StudioLive 24.4.2 recording session. Very handy for the I/O set up! During the rehearsal I used just 8 tracks for all the songs. Tracks 1-7 are instrument tracks (drums, bass, guitar and keys); track 8 is for the vocal part. Today I was in an experimental mood and I tried to mix down a recorded song without the vocal part. So, in the mixer in Studio One I pulled the fader all down on track 8. When I listen to the song in Studio One I hear no vocals. Then, via "song" - "mixdown to audio file" I mixed down the song. When I opened the song in windows media player, and listen to the song, I was very surprised. I assumed that there would be no vocals, but the volume of the vocal had no change at all. So, pulling down the fader in Studio One had no effect? Very likely I'm doing something wrong. Yes, of course I could remove track 8. Then there are no vocals to mix down anymore. But after this experiment I wonder why I should bother to adjust all the volumes and faders in Studio One when there is no effect after mixing down the song. Can someone help me out please? Are there people on this forum who know witch volumes or levels the software takes to mix down songs? Thanks a lot!
Stefan
Motoko
Baconator
[Avatar]

vanduffel wrote:Hi there,
I recorded a few songs at our rehearsal with our StudioLive 24.4.2 and Studio One Artist. In Studio One I used the template StudioLive 24.4.2 recording session. Very handy for the I/O set up! During the rehearsal I used just 8 tracks for all the songs. Tracks 1-7 are instrument tracks (drums, bass, guitar and keys); track 8 is for the vocal part. Today I was in an experimental mood and I tried to mix down a recorded song without the vocal part. So, in the mixer in Studio One I pulled the fader all down on track 8. When I listen to the song in Studio One I hear no vocals. Then, via "song" - "mixdown to audio file" I mixed down the song. When I opened the song in windows media player, and listen to the song, I was very surprised. I assumed that there would be no vocals, but the volume of the vocal had no change at all. So, pulling down the fader in Studio One had no effect? Very likely I'm doing something wrong. Yes, of course I could remove track 8. Then there are no vocals to mix down anymore. But after this experiment I wonder why I should bother to adjust all the volumes and faders in Studio One when there is no effect after mixing down the song. Can someone help me out please? Are there people on this forum who know witch volumes or levels the software takes to mix down songs? Thanks a lot!
Stefan

First of all, welcome to the forum. The easiest way to mixdown without vocals is just to mute the vocal track, this will allow you to get the vocals back on the original level.

Also when you do a mixdown to audio file you will go through the main output. If you are listening to cue mixes or sub mixes, make sure you have the right signal path set-up. If you have a send going out pre-fader to a reverb, then there's no point in dropping the fader as the send will still be audible.
Mac OS X 10.8.2: iMac 21,5" - Core i3 - 8GB Ram
Mac OS X 10.8.2: MacBook Air 13" - Core i5 - 4GB Ram

PreSonus FireStudio Mobile || PreSonus AudioBox 44 VSL || PreSonus StudioLive 16.0.2 || Alesis Active M1 MkII || CME XKey || NI Maschine || Waldorf Blofeld

PreSonus Studio One Pro 2.6 || Pro Tools 10 || Digital Performer 8 || Ableton Live 9

SSL Duende Native || Plugin Alliance Transient Designer, Rack Pro, DrumXchanger || Softube Studio & Mix Bundle || ArtsAcoustic CL1 bundle, Reverb, Big Rock || FabFilter Total Bundle || FXPansion All Plugins || NI Komplete 8 || Synapse Audio DUNE || Tone2 ElectraX || Waldorf Largo || Image-Line Drumaxx || D16 Group Total Everything || Novation V-Synth, Basstation, FX Suite || Camel Audio Alchemy

Motoko || 64 Measures Music || YouTube || Mass Overflow || Manta Tracks
[WWW] [MSN]
vanduffel
Prenoob
[Avatar]

Hello Motoko, thanks for your welcome!
I will try your tip by muting the vocal track this evening after work. Also gonna check my signal path set up.
Stefan

Forum Index » Studio One FAQ
Go to: