image description

Addictive Drummer vs. Superior Drummer 2.0
  Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion 
Author
Presonic
[Avatar]

This thread is both a question and a "Heads Up."

I have been planning on, forever, upgrading my EZDrummer to Superior Drummer 2.0, however Sweetwater is running a special on Addictive Drummer for $99. That is mighty attractive.

I just wanted to:

A. Let others know about the deal
B. See if anybody who uses one or both of these has an opinion of one over the other within the context of S1.

Thanks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 25/03/2011 15:50:35

MacBook Pro - OS 10.6, 4 GB Ram
PC - Asus P67, 8GB Ram, Intel Sandy Bridge 2500k, 3 x 7200 rpm drives.
Studio One
Logic
Firestudio Project
FaderPort
DuckieTheAnk
Presonic
[Avatar]

I dont use Addictive Drums but i know they are highly regarded.
I use Superior Drummer 2.0 and i really really really recommend it!

Its great for Pop, Rock, Coutry, Funk (if you tune the kits), and more!

Its bleed settings ability is just great! you get endless routing possibliltys (allmost :wink!

Micing:

KICK: In, out, Sub
Snare: Top, Under, Compressed
Hats: basic micing
Toms. one mic per tom (lots of them)
OH: classic stereo Overhead micing.
Room close. A close room mic.
Room Mid: A room mic set moderetly far away.
Room Far: A Far room mic.
Bullet mic: Great for snare and kick to get som extra punch. highly compressed ultra responsiv.

You can send the bleeding anyware!

You get Gate, Comp, EQ, Filter and more (i cant remember) FX!

regards
Setup:
Intel i7 2.93 Ghz, 6 GB RAM
Windows 7 64bit
Studio One Pro v2
Ableton Live 8
Focusrite Saffire 6 USB
Presonus Faderport
CME U-Key
TLA 5051 Mono Valve Processor
Behringer Tube Ultra-Q
Plugins:
Sonalksis SV-315 MkII Compressor
Fabfilter Pro-Q, Pro-C, Pro-L
Focusrite Liquid Mix
PSP MasterComp
Izotope Alloy & Ozone 4
Waves Musicians 2, H-EQ, Kramer Mastertape, Q-Clone, Lo-Air, RBass.
Native Instruments: Guitar Rig 5 and Vintage Compressors.
Audio Damage Eos
Nomad Factory Magnetic & Echo
VSTis:
Native Instruments: Komplete 8, Scarbee J-Bass, Session Strings, 70ies Drums, Modern Drums, Funk Guitarist,
Superior Drummer 2.0
Loads more!
Instruments: Fender Telecaster, Ibanez 76's Fretless Jazz-bass, Acoustic Bass, Fender Acoustic Guitar.
tpittman
Presonic

brentrains wrote:This thread is both a question and a "Heads Up."

I have been planning on, forever, upgrading my EZDrummer to Superior Drummer 2.0, however Sweetwater is running a special on Addictive Drummer for $99. That is mighty attractive.

I just wanted to:

A. Let others know about the deal
B. See if anybody who uses one or both of these has an opinion of one over the other within the context of S1.

Thanks.

I have AD. It is a very nice program, especially at the editing level. The "beats" are midi based which makes editing a breeze. I paid 249.00 for AD so the 99.00 is a great price. Maybe you could get both at that price and let us know the pros and cons of each program. I have never tried EZDrummer but probably should.
Windows 7 (64) Studio One Pro 32 & 64 Studio Live 2.05. Mac Pro Mac Book Pro
brentrains
Presonic
[Avatar]

I think I am going to take the leap for the $99 deal. i will likely end up with both anyway, but we are getting ready to put the house on the market and passing expenditures by Congress (ie wife) is going to be interesting.......

Studio One
Logic
Firestudio Project
FaderPort
themuzic
Baconator
[Avatar]

I recommended Addictive Drums. EZ and Superior seem thinner sounding to me.

http://www.homestudiotrainer.webs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/themuzic
Email - homestudiotrainer@yahoo.com
Skype - themuzic
Phone - 773-303-7260
I offer FREE assistance for Studio One (any version) and Presonus hardware, to anyone having issues or anyone who simply wants to learn

Gateway Tower - Intel Core i5 3330 CPU 3GHz 8GB Ram and 64bit Windows 8
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!]
tpittman
Presonic

brentrains wrote:I think I am going to take the leap for the $99 deal. i will likely end up with both anyway, but we are getting ready to put the house on the market and passing expenditures by Congress (ie wife) is going to be interesting.......

You may want to look at the StevenSlate DrumsEX also (79.00). Very nice in deed.
themuzic
Baconator
[Avatar]

tpittman wrote:
brentrains wrote:I think I am going to take the leap for the $99 deal. i will likely end up with both anyway, but we are getting ready to put the house on the market and passing expenditures by Congress (ie wife) is going to be interesting.......

You may want to look at the StevenSlate DrumsEX also (79.00). Very nice in deed.

Very true. I also have the SSD cheep setup. But for producing beats and having midi loops available for editing, Addictive Drums is better.

Also, in using both, I really don't like the crash cymbals all that much in SSD. They're almost over processed, IMHO.

http://www.homestudiotrainer.webs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/themuzic
Email - homestudiotrainer@yahoo.com
Skype - themuzic
Phone - 773-303-7260
I offer FREE assistance for Studio One (any version) and Presonus hardware, to anyone having issues or anyone who simply wants to learn

Gateway Tower - Intel Core i5 3330 CPU 3GHz 8GB Ram and 64bit Windows 8
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!]
eyeambaldman
Prenoob
[Avatar]

DuckieTheAnk wrote:I dont use Addictive Drums but i know they are highly regarded.
I use Superior Drummer 2.0 and i really really really recommend it!

Its great for Pop, Rock, Coutry, Funk (if you tune the kits), and more!

Its bleed settings ability is just great! you get endless routing possibliltys (allmost :wink!

Micing:

KICK: In, out, Sub
Snare: Top, Under, Compressed
Hats: basic micing
Toms. one mic per tom (lots of them)
OH: classic stereo Overhead micing.
Room close. A close room mic.
Room Mid: A room mic set moderetly far away.
Room Far: A Far room mic.
Bullet mic: Great for snare and kick to get som extra punch. highly compressed ultra responsiv.

You can send the bleeding anyware!

You get Gate, Comp, EQ, Filter and more (i cant remember) FX!

regards

Completely agree with Duckie. Superior Drummer can be used for most any genre. I use them for metal and the possibilities are limitless. The functionality of the mixer with the mic bleed is 2nd to none. Costly, yes, but a fantastic program.
ASUS M4A78TE -- AMD Phenom II X4 810 -- 4GB -- Windows 7 Ultimate x64
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
M-Audio FireWire Solo
Studio One Pro 2.5.2
Superior Drummer 2.3
Drum Tracker 1.0.2
Garritan Personal Orchestra 4
M-Audio KeyStation 61es
Adobe Audition 3.0.1
Behringer AMP800
KRK Rokit 6 Gen. 2 monitors
MXLV63M, MXL 990 Condensers
Shure SM57 and SM58
Various other cheap mics

http://soundcloud.com/dead-house-productions
http://deadhouseproductions.com
[WWW]
tpittman
Presonic

themuzic wrote:
tpittman wrote:

Very true. I also have the SSD cheep setup. But for producing beats and having midi loops available for editing, Addictive Drums is better.

Also, in using both, I really don't like the crash cymbals all that much in SSD. They're almost over processed, IMHO.

Could not agree more. My set-up is this normally: For a live drummer ( in studio w/ midi with electronic drum set) I use SSDEX. For my own stuff I work normally use AD because it is so easy to get whatever you want or easy to change the "beats"
Julia B
Presonoid
[Avatar]

themuzic wrote:I recommended Addictive Drums. EZ and Superior seem thinner sounding to me.

^^^^ -- I've been using this for three years with Pro Tools and Studio One. I've added the Retro, Jazz Sticks, and Jazz Brush Paks. I want to grab the new electronic drum kit pak and the Funk Pak as well. They also have a bunch of midi paks that have loops for other genres. The thing I really like is the cymbals. And if you connect an electronic drum kit you can make your own loops via MIDI if you're a drummer.

The only thing I wish they had were some Latin jazz beats so I could do some Jobim.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 25/03/2011 21:49:12

Creation Station 400 Sweetwater Intel i7 Sandy Bridge 3.4 GHz
16 GB Ram
C:\ 500 GB Seagate 7200 rpm
D:\ 1 TB Seagate 7200 rpm
F: \ : 1 TB WD Caviar Black 7200 rpm SATA Libraries
Win 7 Home Premium 64 SP1
Focusrite Saffire6 USB

Studio One Pro 2.6.2; Pro Tools 8.0.5; Cubase 7

Sugarbytes Cyclop, Arturia V Collection, Ivory II, EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Platinum Plus, EWQL VOP, EWQL Symphonic Choirs, Komplete 9, AEON, Evolve, Evolve Damage, Evolve Mutations, Alicia's Keys, MOTU Ethno-Instrument, Addictive Drums, Yellow Tools Candy, Garritan JABB3, GPO4, Vir2 Electri6ity, Omnisphere, Stylus, Reason 6.5, Sony Soundforge 10, Miroslav Philharmonic & Choir, Waves Gold bundle, Maserati Bundle, Vocal Rider, Melodyne Editor, Sibelius.

tpittman
Presonic

Julia B wrote:
themuzic wrote:I recommended Addictive Drums. EZ and Superior seem thinner sounding to me.

^^^^ -- I've been using this for three years with Pro Tools and Studio One. I've added the Retro, Jazz Sticks, and Jazz Brush Paks. I want to grab the new electronic drum kit pak and the Funk Pak as well. They also have a bunch of midi paks that have loops for other genres. The thing I really like is the cymbals. And if you connect an electronic drum kit you can make your own loops via MIDI if you're a drummer.

The only thing I wish they had were some Latin jazz beats so I could do some Jobim.

I must be out of the loop What is Jobim?? Ok, make me feel silly
Julia B
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Jobim as in Antonio Carlos Jobim. Brazilian composer/songwriter/pianist genre is jazz.
Creation Station 400 Sweetwater Intel i7 Sandy Bridge 3.4 GHz
16 GB Ram
C:\ 500 GB Seagate 7200 rpm
D:\ 1 TB Seagate 7200 rpm
F: \ : 1 TB WD Caviar Black 7200 rpm SATA Libraries
Win 7 Home Premium 64 SP1
Focusrite Saffire6 USB

Studio One Pro 2.6.2; Pro Tools 8.0.5; Cubase 7

Sugarbytes Cyclop, Arturia V Collection, Ivory II, EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Platinum Plus, EWQL VOP, EWQL Symphonic Choirs, Komplete 9, AEON, Evolve, Evolve Damage, Evolve Mutations, Alicia's Keys, MOTU Ethno-Instrument, Addictive Drums, Yellow Tools Candy, Garritan JABB3, GPO4, Vir2 Electri6ity, Omnisphere, Stylus, Reason 6.5, Sony Soundforge 10, Miroslav Philharmonic & Choir, Waves Gold bundle, Maserati Bundle, Vocal Rider, Melodyne Editor, Sibelius.

PreSonified
Presonic
[Avatar]

Having bought both over the past few years, I have to say both are AWESOME! (Both have midi clips if needed).

I agree that Superior Drummer does sound thinner, but it has some great mix and match possibilities when you buy some of the EZX addons. I create separate shaker tracks, etc that way (uses such a small amount of memory instead of loading the whole kit when not needed.) I do think that the velocities in SD are more subtle and I LOVE the "humanize" feature!! (I wish AD had that!)

Having said that Addictive Drums is really fat and meaty and great for pop/rock styles especially IMHO. Pieces can be unloaded too. I usually mix and match both VSTi's as needed. I really hope XLN Audio tweak the GUI so they can release singles as well as full kits (ie: a tambourine, sticks, gong, etc)...so we can build our own kits as needed.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 26/03/2011 05:11:01

Windows 8 64-Bit / Studio One Professional 2.5.1 64-Bit
Intel Quad Q6600 / 8GB RAM / GTX 560 Ti 2GB / MOTU Ultralite (Firewire)
kelldammit
Presonic
[Avatar]

i have superior 2. i upgraded from superior 1, so i have the s1 drum, percussion, and coctail kits available also. i prefer it by far over anything else i've tried, though i'd love the custom and vintage s2 expansion (not the ezx). that said, i don't use the included grooves or midi loops at all, and never have (i program my own...and don't even have ezd installed, though it's included). s2's effects are sonalksis, fwiw, and from what i understand, it's pretty much unrivalled if you're using an e-drum kit to trigger.

i did play with AD for a few weeks a while back, and really liked it. i just couldn't quite break down and buy it though. strangely, i wasn't interested in it for "real" drums. the reason i was serious considering it was to use it sort of like a drum machine. AD really let you turn a "real" kit into something quite different very easily, which i thought was very cool...i was going to buy it for use as a middle ground between microtonic's completely synthesized drums, and the very large, more in-depth, "real mic'd kit" of superior. iirc, the AD stock library wasn't too humongous, either, and it sounded good. between s1 and s2, it's around 15 dvd's or so!

both are highly regarded, and for my money, if i didn't already have s2, i'd certainly be eying up AD. i don't think you could go wrong with either.

k

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 26/03/2011 09:40:36

Some people are like slinkies. They don't have a purpose, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
--
Lenovo e520, i5 @2.3ghz, 8gb Ram, 7200rpm hd, win7 pro x64, studio 1 v2 pro x64, focusrite saffire usb-6, akai mpk-61.
[WWW]
brentrains
Presonic
[Avatar]

Bought it. Loaded it.....IT ROCKS!!!!

I will eventually add Superior Drummer 2 for the sake of options, but this should get through some great demos!!!
Studio One
Logic
Firestudio Project
FaderPort

Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion
Go to: