image description

what to do about strings squeaking when you record guitar?
  Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion 
Author
Prenoob

Hi,

I'm recording guitar parts on my PRS and getting a lot of loud finger squeaking sounds that are very distracting from the music.
Has anyone experienced this and have a solution?
I'm using D'addario XL 120+ strings, nickel wound .044-.0095.
The song involves a lot of chords which slide up and down the neck, which make for the sound i want -- except for the finger squeaking. I haven't found a notch eq that will work.
I've tried stuff called 'Fast Fret', which is supposed to lubricate the strings, but that doesn't help.
There's no way to cut out the offending sounds, they are too integrated in the wave form.

Very bummed by this!

Any helpful ideas appreciated.
NJ

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 18/03/2011 04:23:42

pc999
Presonic
[Avatar]

Probably refining your playing will be your best chance, not very easy but possible.

It is probably to much of a frequency range to do anything, with any processors
Gears Of Music - Online Mastering/Mixing

We need full Novation AUTOMAP SUPPORT!

http://soundcloud.com/pc999
tpittman
Presonic

illusory wrote:Hi,

I'm recording guitar parts on my PRS and getting a lot of loud finger squeaking sounds that are very distracting from the music.
Has anyone experienced this and have a solution?
I'm using D'addario XL 120+ strings, nickel wound .044-.0095.
The song involves a lot of chords which slide up and down the neck, which make for the sound i want -- except for the finger squeaking. I haven't found a notch eq that will work.
I've tried stuff called 'Fast Fret', which is supposed to lubricate the strings, but that doesn't help.
There's no way to cut out the offending sounds, they are too integrated in the wave form.

Very bummed by this!

Any helpful ideas appreciated.
NJ

I have had this same issue on a clean or slghly over-driven guitar part. All I could really do was to use volume automation between the chord changes (for me the chord changes really sounded out) and that helped some. By the time every thing else got mixed in it was not bad but still noticeable. In the end (all music parts recorded) because it was so reducted it sounded ok (was not overbearing anyways). So maybe the guitar parts mixed with the rest of the parts will sound ok. Guess that depends on what you are doing
Windows 7 (64) Studio One Pro 32 & 64 Studio Live 2.05. Mac Pro Mac Book Pro
2cthetruth
Presonic

Jeeees Laweeez.. I just logged on to ask that very question! What are the odds? Anyway, I found that volume automation does help with some parts, but sometimes the amount you need to take out makes the take sound unnatural. So, I recommend going to the music store and getting some finger grease. I think it's called "gorrilla snot".
Windows 7 64 bit
Intel 2500k
Asus P8p67 M/B
8 Gig RAM
Studio One 64 Bit
Echo Gina G3 Interface
illusory
Prenoob

Gorrilla snot, eh? Hmmm...are you tryin to get me to walk into a music store and ask for Gorrilla Snot? Might be amusing...

Yes, I might try some kind of finger grease. Is vaseline or lemon pledge bad for my guitar? I heard that suggested on another forum. But I'm a little squeamish about my PRS...

I re-recorded the parts just now with a lifting up kind of finger technique, with some palm muting. It did eliminate the squeak, but i didn't like the overall sound as much. It was originally created (with squeak) by keeping the notes sustained and picking, as i slide my fingers up and down the neck to get to the next chord. Hard to explain, but the sound is fuller with the sliding. What gets me is i have some other parts recorded, also tonight, where there is sliding to get to the chords, and there's no squeak on those! Different chords, maybe that's it.

And the process of layering parts doesn't hide it unfortunately, just accentuates it, because there's squeaking on all the parts in this section. Volume envelope will have the same (or worse) effect as the palm muting. Kills the sustained drone notes.

Guess I'll visit my local music store and request primate body fluids and see what they say

I've heard that flat wound strings will help, or something called Elixir strings, but those were for acoustic. But the point is they are coated -- anyone heard of coated strings for electric guitar? Do they exist and sound decent?

thanks for the suggestions,
NJ

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 18/03/2011 05:47:47

themuzic
Baconator
[Avatar]

illusory wrote:Gorrilla snot, eh? Hmmm...are you tryin to get me to walk into a music store and ask for Gorrilla Snot? Might be amusing...

Yes, I might try some kind of finger grease. Is vaseline or lemon pledge bad for my guitar? I heard that suggested on another forum. But I'm a little squeamish about my PRS...

I re-recorded the parts just now with a lifting up kind of finger technique, with some palm muting. It did eliminate the squeak, but i didn't like the overall sound as much. It was originally created (with squeak) by keeping the notes sustained and picking, as i slide my fingers up and down the neck to get to the next chord. Hard to explain, but the sound is fuller with the sliding. What gets me is i have some other parts recorded, also tonight, where there is sliding to get to the chords, and there's no squeak on those! Different chords, maybe that's it.

And the process of layering parts doesn't hide it unfortunately, just accentuates it, because there's squeaking on all the parts in this section. Volume envelope will have the same (or worse) effect as the palm muting. Kills the sustained drone notes.

Guess I'll visit my local music store and request primate body fluids and see what they say

I've heard that flat wound strings will help, or something called Elixir strings, but those were for acoustic. But the point is they are coated -- anyone heard of coated strings for electric guitar? Do they exist and sound decent?

thanks for the suggestions,
NJ

Hey, can you send me a track? I have the Izotope RX software and would like to take a whack at removing just the squeaks. It should remove the squeaks and leave the note sustain. I'd love to make you a guinea pig for this...lol

Lemme know. johnnygeib@yahoo.com

http://www.homestudiotrainer.webs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/themuzic
Email - homestudiotrainer@yahoo.com
Skype - themuzic
Phone - 773-303-7260
I offer FREE assistance for Studio One (any version) and Presonus hardware, to anyone having issues or anyone who simply wants to learn

Gateway Tower - Intel Core i5 3330 CPU 3GHz 8GB Ram and 64bit Windows 8
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!]
Mark Stockwell
Presonic
[Avatar]

Using the flatwounds will help alot! They are not as bright a string tone, but that CAN be eq'd!

I always keep an acoustic and an electric available at my studio for just such a situation, and it works like a charm.

Best of Luck,
Mark Stockwell
White River Recording Studio
Buckley, WA
Studio One Pro
PC, Quad Core, Win 7 x 64
8 Gigs Ram
Mostly 'Live or Musician' Recording
[Email]

Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion
Go to: