image description

Mix down quality compared to Studio one quality?
  Forum Index » Studio One FAQ 
Author
Prenoob

Can anybody tell me why my song sounds pretty good on studio one, but when i put it on a CD it sounds like trash? I'm using the Presonus audio box usb and studio one artist. What i have been doing is mixing down into a wave file then using a free converter to convert into mp3. I use the preset effects like eq and compression and my song sound good in the DAW but thats as far as my mixing expertise goes. Any help or advice would certainly be appreciated.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/03/2011 23:58:21

Kahlbert
Presonificator
[Avatar]

Welcome!

Well, without further investigation I'll just suggest that mp3 often sounds like trash. Of course you could revisit the settings on your converter and try a higher quality.

Is there a reason you put an mp3 on CD (as opposed to export a wav file and burn an audio CD)?
Win 7 Pro (x64), Intel Core i5 760, 8 GB RAM, ATI Radeon
RME HDSP 9632, PreSonus AB 1818VSL
Studio One 2 Professional (x64)
Waves, IK Multimedia, Synthogy, Native Instruments, Toontrack, ArtsAcoustic, Bluenoise Plugins, Celemony, Drumdrops, Sample Modeling, Ample Sound, ...

Dolphin Blue - Songs of Tom Waits
--------------------------------------------
Dropbox - Free Online Storage
(Use this link to get us both even more free space.)
[WWW]
chrisvega
Prenoob

I didn't think there was any other way to burn an CD, i thought you could only burn MP3's to Cd's. Are you suggesting i can burn an audio cd with just the wave file
Motoko
Baconator
[Avatar]

chrisvega wrote:I didn't think there was any other way to burn an CD, i thought you could only burn MP3's to Cd's. Are you suggesting i can burn an audio cd with just the wave file

He he... LOL... Sorry, this isn't making a fool of you, this is just me feeling really old all of a sudden. This is like that time that people are really surprised there was a time that you couldn't double click on picture to launch a program... Usually that's people that are way younger then I am...

Anyway. Yes, you should use wave files to burn audio CDs.

MP3 is a compression container and even one that actually removes audio information. Wave files are basically lossless. So the best quality would be achieved by doing a mixdown in 16-bit / 44.1 kHz from your DAW and using that as the source for your CD.

One other thing though. Part of the mixing / mastering process is to make sure the songs sounds relatively the same on all systems. When you are mixing and it sounds good in your studio, burn it to disc and listen to it on as much different types of playback devices you can to see where you might want to improve your mix.

Also, do not underestimate what influence your room has on the mixing. That the mix sounds good in your room, might actually mean that you have successfully compensated for the problems in your room. And that will become a problem on other systems. For example, if you get a very lousy bass response, you can boost the lows to make it sound good in your room, but playing the track in your car will give you extreme bass and muddy response.
Mac OS X 10.8.2: iMac 21,5" - Core i3 - 8GB Ram
Mac OS X 10.8.2: MacBook Air 13" - Core i5 - 4GB Ram

PreSonus FireStudio Mobile || PreSonus AudioBox 44 VSL || PreSonus StudioLive 16.0.2 || Alesis Active M1 MkII || CME XKey || NI Maschine || Waldorf Blofeld

PreSonus Studio One Pro 2.6 || Pro Tools 10 || Digital Performer 8 || Ableton Live 9

SSL Duende Native || Plugin Alliance Transient Designer, Rack Pro, DrumXchanger || Softube Studio & Mix Bundle || ArtsAcoustic CL1 bundle, Reverb, Big Rock || FabFilter Total Bundle || FXPansion All Plugins || NI Komplete 8 || Synapse Audio DUNE || Tone2 ElectraX || Waldorf Largo || Image-Line Drumaxx || D16 Group Total Everything || Novation V-Synth, Basstation, FX Suite || Camel Audio Alchemy

Motoko || 64 Measures Music || YouTube || Mass Overflow || Manta Tracks
[WWW] [MSN]
chrisvega
Prenoob

ah-ha now much is clear, thanks. Now i just have to find out how to burn a wave into an audio CD and now im straight.
Motoko
Baconator
[Avatar]

chrisvega wrote:ah-ha now much is clear, thanks. Now i just have to find out how to burn a wave into an audio CD and now im straight.

Most of the burning software will support wav to CD conversion.

PreSonus FireStudio Mobile || PreSonus AudioBox 44 VSL || PreSonus StudioLive 16.0.2 || Alesis Active M1 MkII || CME XKey || NI Maschine || Waldorf Blofeld

PreSonus Studio One Pro 2.6 || Pro Tools 10 || Digital Performer 8 || Ableton Live 9

SSL Duende Native || Plugin Alliance Transient Designer, Rack Pro, DrumXchanger || Softube Studio & Mix Bundle || ArtsAcoustic CL1 bundle, Reverb, Big Rock || FabFilter Total Bundle || FXPansion All Plugins || NI Komplete 8 || Synapse Audio DUNE || Tone2 ElectraX || Waldorf Largo || Image-Line Drumaxx || D16 Group Total Everything || Novation V-Synth, Basstation, FX Suite || Camel Audio Alchemy

[WWW] [MSN]
chrisvega
Prenoob

got it done. thank you very much
Motoko
Baconator
[Avatar]

chrisvega wrote:got it done. thank you very much

Good to hear!

[WWW] [MSN]
Kahlbert
Presonificator
[Avatar]

I've probably listened to dozens of podcasts with "old farts" joking about a new generation of kids that don't even know there was a life before mp3.

This is the first time I saw this actually happening.

I'm scared to death.

P.S.: I'm not making fun of anyone either. That's part of what we're here for, but I had hoped we hadn't come that far already ...
Win 7 Pro (x64), Intel Core i5 760, 8 GB RAM, ATI Radeon
RME HDSP 9632, PreSonus AB 1818VSL
Studio One 2 Professional (x64)
Waves, IK Multimedia, Synthogy, Native Instruments, Toontrack, ArtsAcoustic, Bluenoise Plugins, Celemony, Drumdrops, Sample Modeling, Ample Sound, ...

Dolphin Blue - Songs of Tom Waits
--------------------------------------------
Dropbox - Free Online Storage
(Use this link to get us both even more free space.)
[WWW]
talmen
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Get off my lawn!
Field Kit:
MacBook Pro 9.2 i5 2.5 GHz, 8GB RAM,
OS 10.8.5;
SL 16.4.2, AB1818VSL, Alesis IO14 / IO26
PreSonus Capture 2.1.0.24135, PreSonus S1
v2.6.1.24770, Boom Recorder 7.25.3

Studio Kit:
iMac 11.3, i7 (Quad) 2.93GHz, 8 GB RAM,
OS 10.9.1,
M-Audio FW1814, PreSonus Faderport,
PreSonus S1 Pro 2.6.1.24770
Gearzilla
Presonic
[Avatar]

I prefer this version Talmen....

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/03/2011 23:07:06

Mac Mini // OS X 10.6.8 // 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 64 Bit // 8GB Ram // Studio One Pro 1.6.5 // FireStudio Mobile

[Yahoo!]
adamwaugh
Prenoob

Hi,

I too am having major issues with exporting mixes. It seems the mixdown file (always uncompressed wav, never flac or mp3) is of vastly inferior sound quality to the playback quality in studio one. The studio one playback sounds full, rich and balanced whereas the exported mixdown sounds thin, badly eq'd and weirdly compressed. I have listened to the files on several different speakers with no noticable difference between them, at least not enough to justify the difference between original playback and export quality.
I've also tried exporting at different quality levels as I understand this can also be a factor, but usually this only degrades the quality further.
I understand that when mixing down 10+ mono tracks in to 2 stereo tracks there will inevitably be some loss but this is ridiculous!

I'm using the artist version so are there perhaps some export functions that have been crippled that are available in the pro version?

Apart from this issue I'm totally satisfied with studion one!

Many thanks
LMike
Baconator
[Avatar]

User error.
Studio One Tips For Newbs

"So.... Bitwig. I wonder what's queued up next in line on the drama list?"
adamwaugh
Prenoob

Not particularly helpful dude
LMike
Baconator
[Avatar]

adamwaugh wrote:Not particularly helpful dude

Sorry, not sure how to help specifically since you didn't mention your hardware, OS, monitor setup, or anything else that might give people a clue as to where the issue might be, but if you hear "vastly inferior sound quality" from the full wave mixdown in any professional daw, not just Studio One, it has to be user error... in your monitoring or comparison method. Otherwise the daw would be severely broken and everyone using it would complain about it.

I'd suggest letting your mix file auto-import back into the project and doing a simple null test. Do this...

1. Mixdown your 10 tracks to 24-bit wave and check the box in the dialog that says... "Import To Track" so it comes back in as track 11.

2. Insert a Mixtool plug on that track and reverse the polarity.

3. Play them all together and see if you hear anything. If you don't... they're identical... the mix and the song.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/03/2011 04:01:35

Studio One Tips For Newbs

"So.... Bitwig. I wonder what's queued up next in line on the drama list?"

Forum Index » Studio One FAQ
Go to: