image description

Which laptop will work with studiolive
  Forum Index » StudioLive General Discussion 
Author
Prenoob

I know this has gone around a few times but I still haven't seen a brand and model number of a laptop pc that you can just plug a firewire cord into and see it work with a Studiolive. I've posted on the old forums (which is closed now) and all I got was it should work or we're busy with namm right now and Rick is too busy to talk to you. I've got a few Presonus products and I like them, but after buying 2 Dell studio 17's and an HP Dv7 both with Win 7, I still have not gotten a laptop to work with my Studiolive 16.4.2. Can somebody tell me of an older laptop with Win XP and firewire input or one that I can plug my ADS Pyro card into that will work?
Jan-Arend Blok
Presonic
[Avatar]

Apple MacBook Pro. I have one since 2006, and it works flawlessly with my SL16. You don't have to get a new one as you can see. Any MBP with an Intel processor will do the job. And NO firewire-card problems.
SL24.4.2, Audiobox 22 VSL, Bluetube DP, 4 Eris E8 Studiomonitors, Faderport, Macbook Pro 2012, 2,3 Ghz i7, 8Gb, 750 Gb 7200rpm , iPad mini, iMac 2009 (2,4 Ghz), Airport Express, TP Link dual band router, StudioOne Pro V2.6, Capture, HP4, HK Audio PR115 subs + tops, Beyer N300, Blue Encore 300 and Encore 200 mics, Jangus Music Wi IEM + wireless MM headworrn mics, Shure PG drummics, Bartlett floormics.
Wayne Train
Prenoob

Thanks Jan. Looks like I may have to go with the mac book pro to actually be able to use capture live at gigs. I know how to operate pc's but I don't know the Mac op system. Looks like another big expense to get the Studiolive to work.
Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

There are many on the market. Asking for a specific unit is a very loaded question.

It unfortunately falls to the individual to do their research and find a compatible unit. There are several folks using PC based machines with Presonus gear. Make sure you get one that either has an expresscard slot or doesn't have an unapproved firewire chipset.
http://support.presonus.com

Tallest guy in the Mod Squad with all his hair still on his head.

No I'm not a freaking pilot!! The Air Force won't let me have a suit with a zipper...or sometimes shoestrings.

My advice and suggestions should never be considered advice or suggestions. These are mostly insane ramblings of a poor aircraft mechanic who can, strangely enough, still hear.

StudioLive 16.4.2, AudioBox 1818VSL, AudioBox 44VSL, Faderport, Digimax FS,, M-Audio Firewire 410
--MultiBoot System--
Win Vista 64/XP Pro/7 x86/7 x64 - Mac OSX Snow Leopard/Lion
Gigabyte motherboard--SYBA TI Firewire XIO2200A--i7 2600k Quad Core--16 GB DDR III--Custom 2U Rackmount--4 TB Raid (all internal SATA II)--19" Samsung HDMI LCD on pivoting VESA 1U Mount
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
bmdenton23
Prenoob

If you're comfortable enough on pc to setup a dual boot xp environment, I think you'll find that most laptops with an expresscard slot running dual boot under xp will work just fine with the SL and capture.

I'm using a HP HDX-16T which doesn't officially support Win XP and it was a bit of a an effort to get it running dual-boot, but since, had no problems. Now if I use that same machine's win 7 boot, same expresscard, I've had basically no luck running the SL/capture.
Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

@bmdenton23

Did we work on your system? I think we did but there have been so many.

No I'm not a freaking pilot!! The Air Force won't let me have a suit with a zipper...or sometimes shoestrings.

My advice and suggestions should never be considered advice or suggestions. These are mostly insane ramblings of a poor aircraft mechanic who can, strangely enough, still hear.

StudioLive 16.4.2, AudioBox 1818VSL, AudioBox 44VSL, Faderport, Digimax FS,, M-Audio Firewire 410
--MultiBoot System--
Gigabyte motherboard--SYBA TI Firewire XIO2200A--i7 2600k Quad Core--16 GB DDR III--Custom 2U Rackmount--4 TB Raid (all internal SATA II)--19" Samsung HDMI LCD on pivoting VESA 1U Mount
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
bmdenton23
Prenoob

No not on my system although I'm sure you've offered me some advice at some point...
Jason.Harris
Presonoid

bmdenton23,

The issue with getting your SL to work has much more to do with PC manufacturers use of less-than-proper components than it does with the Windows OS or the StudioLive. The reason that Mac's "just work" is that they use quality components and the SAME components across nearly their entire product line. PC manufacturers tend to use the cheapest components possible to achieve the highest profit margin possible.

That said, some manufacturers (such as Rain Computing) use high quality components that are tested with most audio equipment for compatibility and stability. The bad news is that they are as (or more) expensive than the Mac option.

I, for one, have been a PC user for the better part of 20 years and have always been a detractor of the closed Mac platform... I have changed my tune quite a bit after buying a rather pricy Sony Vaio, fully loaded including firewire, only to have the chipset be a Ricoh and therefore incompatible with nearly everything I use.

I will here-to-for be a proud proponent of Mac.

Cheers,

Jason

bmdenton23
Prenoob

Jason I appreciate the comment however in my case the hardware is exactly the same running xp/win 7 dual-boot. And I have no doubt that the SL win 7 drivers are fine as well.

My problem running in Win 7 is that I use the Win 7 boot to do other things, (internet access/normal everyday computing things) and therefore can't tweak the system enough so that I allocate enough memory/cpu to properly do the job. Win 7 doesn't offer hardware profiles like xp either so there's no way to easily turn off services. Running xp in dual boot allows me to completely configure the OS to audio specs and run SL at very low buffer settings.

The hardware's the same, the SL driver I guess is different, but I'm sure the biggest difference is the OS config (i.e. - almost no services running except whatever is necessary to support the OS and networking for the IPad connection, no sound, proper swap file size, adjusting resources for background service use rather than program use, etc, etc..., the usual stuff)
Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

Jason.Harris wrote:bmdenton23,

The issue with getting your SL to work has much more to do with PC manufacturers use of less-than-proper components than it does with the Windows OS or the StudioLive. The reason that Mac's "just work" is that they use quality components and the SAME components across nearly their entire product line. PC manufacturers tend to use the cheapest components possible to achieve the highest profit margin possible.

That said, some manufacturers (such as Rain Computing) use high quality components that are tested with most audio equipment for compatibility and stability. The bad news is that they are as (or more) expensive than the Mac option.

I, for one, have been a PC user for the better part of 20 years and have always been a detractor of the closed Mac platform... I have changed my tune quite a bit after buying a rather pricy Sony Vaio, fully loaded including firewire, only to have the chipset be a Ricoh and therefore incompatible with nearly everything I use.

I will here-to-for be a proud proponent of Mac.

Cheers,

Jason

I also am glad to suggest a mac to anyone who just wants it to run out of the box.

But because I am just a poor sound guy trying to make it in a PC world I choose to roll my own. My systems will outlast a Mac because I can change what I feel needs to be changed. While we're on the subject, you have PM.

--MultiBoot System--
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
Jan-Arend Blok
Presonic
[Avatar]

The thing with a mac is: you don't have to think of what and how you are using it; just USE it and get creative.... A computer is there for you, not the other way around.
SL24.4.2, Audiobox 22 VSL, Bluetube DP, 4 Eris E8 Studiomonitors, Faderport, Macbook Pro 2012, 2,3 Ghz i7, 8Gb, 750 Gb 7200rpm , iPad mini, iMac 2009 (2,4 Ghz), Airport Express, TP Link dual band router, StudioOne Pro V2.6, Capture, HP4, HK Audio PR115 subs + tops, Beyer N300, Blue Encore 300 and Encore 200 mics, Jangus Music Wi IEM + wireless MM headworrn mics, Shure PG drummics, Bartlett floormics.
Wayne Train
Prenoob

My old XP HP desktop with a VIA chipset works fine, it's just all the other laptops I've used had the Ricoh chipsets. They weren't cheap. I had them made to order by HP and Dell, having been assured by the sales people that they had researched the Presonus site and guaranteed they would work. Or I could send them back within two weeks. I did send them back.
twostone
Presonic
[Avatar]

Any PC/MAC that sports the TI firewire chip set and meets the the proper requirements will do.
I'm using a $200 HP refrub that has the TI chipset and the a little extra more then the Presonus
PC/MAC requirements.
PC/MAC just a matter of preference for me I never used a Mac in my life so I would be clueless on how their OS works.
PC is the only OS I halfass know and still from time to time get stumped.
PhilG
Presonoid
[Avatar]

I have tried agere 323, via 6307 and ti all off the recommended chipset list and they all work great, even the agere cars is an 8x usb 4x fw card that I paid $3 for from ebay

if you research the correct chip sets you cannot go wrong

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/03/2011 21:51:40

2 x SL16.4.2's
Audiobox USB
Studio One V2 Pro
/ Rack System
AMD FX-4170 / 16GB DDR3 / Win7x64 / Via 6308FW Onboard
/Mobile System
Toshiba Satellite P200 / 8GB DDR2 / Win7x64 / Ti FW & i7 13" MBP
/Wireless
Ipad v1 16gb - Samsung Galaxy Tab - Asus Black Diamond router

[Email] [WWW] [ICQ]
Wayne Train
Prenoob

Well, that's great. Do your research and find one that has the TI chipsets and you can't go wrong, right. Tell me where in the hell you find a list like that. There ain't one. Don't tell me that crap. If you know of one that works, identify it. And don't tell me that if you do a dual boot on a ricoh chipset, it'll work. It won't. I've been trying to do this for many months. Why can't someone just say use a (PC) brand and model number. That ain't a loaded question if a laptop works, it works. If it don't, well, you know.

Forum Index » StudioLive General Discussion
Go to: