image description

how do you Import Audio track(s) from one "Studio One" song into another "Studio One" song?
  Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion 
Author
Prenoob

I'm working on a mix in Studio One and we all decided to go back and overdub some vocal lines. So I made a 2-track bounce and had the singer sing to the two-track mix in a new Studio One song/session. So now I have two songs. One with the mix and the other with the Vocal overdubs. How do I import all of his vocal takes from the "overdub song" into my original "mix session" song . I thought this was possible?

Here's what I thought you had to do....

- I navigated in the studio one browser and went to the "song file" that I wanted to import. I right clicked it and went to "show package contents" but tall i see here are "presets." .... am I way off?

- in pro tools there is an option for "import session data" I'm wondering what the equivalent is for Studio One. I'm pretty sure I've read it somewhere, but can't find it!
thanks for your help.
Mac OSX 10.9
2 x 2.8 GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon
10GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

PreSonus- Studio One Pro V 2.5, Central Station, FaderPort x 2, ADL 700, HP 60

Software - Blade, Blue, Predator, SubBoomBass, RG, RP Delay, RP- Verb, Punch, BPM 1.5, MachFive3, Dcam Synth Squad, BFD2, Stylus RMX, Trilian, Omnisphere, Arturia V- Collection, Spark Le, Lounge Lizard EP-4, Auto-Tune 7, Auto-Tune EFX, Summit Audio Grand Channel, TSAR-1 Reverb, Channelstrip3, SSD4, Slate Digital VBC, Slate Digital VCC, Melodyne Editor 2.1, Play, Korg Legacy Collection, Nexus2, Phalanx, Essential FX Bundle, Philta XL, Multiband Sidechain 2

Hardware - Manley Ref C, SonyC800G, Shure SM7B, AKG TL-II, UAD2 Quad Card, UAD2 Apollo Quad, Amek 9098, Avalon SP737

Jason Gray
Presonic
[Avatar]

If i remember right, not with S1 at this moment in time!
I think You can either
1) Go to Song menu and then export stems if you want a copy to your desired location on your hard drive,
2) But you should also just be able to open the Two projects and copy and past from one to the other, i used to do this with midi, so presuming you can also do this with audio.
3) Or go to pool in S1 or use your browser to find the audio pool for that song.

This Should help
Just imagine being able to have this view in s1, for multiple lanes at the same time, better than the multi lane midi editor,which is more for orchestral arrangent, and bare in mind you cant beat this for drum sequencing also, its a must have view.
Cubase edit in place
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSvTO6cvSAQ
sonar inline piano roll
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AlQFQjMRR0
and a few others Daws also have this editing feature.
mad_maestro
Prenoob

Or you can
1) open both songs
2) go to "view" "song" in s1, choose the source song
3) select all the tracks you need, right click and "copy"
4) go to "view" "song" in s1, choose the destination song
5) right click, then paste

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 30/01/2011 15:45:01

PC = Dell Inspiron e1705 Intel Core Duo Centrino
1.66GHZ, 1GB ram
MAC Mini = 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB ram
Jason Gray
Presonic
[Avatar]

From song too song, yes, i dont know why i said Project, Thanks for the correction mad_maestro
Just imagine being able to have this view in s1, for multiple lanes at the same time, better than the multi lane midi editor,which is more for orchestral arrangent, and bare in mind you cant beat this for drum sequencing also, its a must have view.
Cubase edit in place
sonar inline piano roll
taryll
Prenoob

As of now I'm thinking the best option for this is what mad_maestro suggested... (copy/paste) Unfortunately though, this does not copy over the layers created in the track. I wish I could copy/import the "track and all of it's related data" and not just the "file on the track" as a work around I comped the vocal in the "two track mix" and then did a mixdown of the "new overdub vocal".... from there I imported it back into my mix.... maybe in the future S1 will add a feature in the "show package contents" that allows access to the tracks in a song and not just the presets.

thanks again.
Mac OSX 10.9
2 x 2.8 GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon
10GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

PreSonus- Studio One Pro V 2.5, Central Station, FaderPort x 2, ADL 700, HP 60

Software - Blade, Blue, Predator, SubBoomBass, RG, RP Delay, RP- Verb, Punch, BPM 1.5, MachFive3, Dcam Synth Squad, BFD2, Stylus RMX, Trilian, Omnisphere, Arturia V- Collection, Spark Le, Lounge Lizard EP-4, Auto-Tune 7, Auto-Tune EFX, Summit Audio Grand Channel, TSAR-1 Reverb, Channelstrip3, SSD4, Slate Digital VBC, Slate Digital VCC, Melodyne Editor 2.1, Play, Korg Legacy Collection, Nexus2, Phalanx, Essential FX Bundle, Philta XL, Multiband Sidechain 2

Hardware - Manley Ref C, SonyC800G, Shure SM7B, AKG TL-II, UAD2 Quad Card, UAD2 Apollo Quad, Amek 9098, Avalon SP737

Jason Gray
Presonic
[Avatar]

That sounds like a good idea, I myself Often have off takes From Early song versions that i would like to transfer with all data back into the new take, as its quite mashed D&B stuff with many influences.
Often its also good to work on a Seperate take all together for adding some live breaks etc without getting distracted, so it would be good to have something in place like you suggest.

You Could do with adding this to the wishlist page taryll.
Cubase edit in place
sonar inline piano roll
SNS
Presonic
[Avatar]

would certainly be handy if all data(layers n stuff)could be copy/pasted
http://soundcloud.com/subbasednb
FACEBOOK
http://www.facebook.com/Subbasednb

Frigt Teck Sounddesign
http://www.teamdnr.net/distorted-drums/
SHOW YOUR SUPPORT BUY MY SAMPLEPACK
tstengaard
Prenoob

YES, this is something I need all the time, that works so nice in Logic where Im coming from. PLEASE make an import tracks function that includes, layers, automation, plugs - EVERYTHING.
I would usually track down the instrumental, create a new song, record vocals, and do the vocal arrangement there, and then add it all back into the whole song, this is quiet impossible in Studio One 2,5 (of course there are work arounds such as tracking down the stems, but you will have to mix it all again which is a waste of time
Fingers crossed this will be add in the next update!
Best Thomas
Tacman7
Presonic
[Avatar]

Well like any DAW you can open a song and copy an audio file and close it and open the new song and paste it in there but that's old school.

If you know where the songs are kept you could go there and open the file but you need to know your file names.

I've noticed that you can rename audio parts on tracks but that doesn't change the parts real name in a windows browser.

So you have to look at it in the S1 browser and it has different views you can see where your files are located in the song.

But!

I saw a video where you can access a different song in the browser and take resources from it into your current song.

Have to give that a try when I get to the studio, anyone remember what vid that was?

Studio One 2 Professional
8.164bit Studio Konnect 48
Jlien X
Presonic
[Avatar]

Maybe I'm missing something here but if I go to the Files tab in the Browser and open the Song folder and then open the desired song's folder and open the Media folder, I see all audio tracks in that song and I can just drag them all to the current song.
PC: ProBook 4710s, Core2 Duo CPU T9600 @2.80GHz, 8GB RAM
Audio/MIDI: Quad-Capture (interface), A-800PRO (keyboard controller)
DAW: Studio One Producer 2.6.2 (64-bit), SONAR X3e (64-bit)
kbostroem
Prenoob

@Jlien X: the problem is not transferring audio files but transferring the TRACKS with these audio files, including the arrangement of audio events, the fades, the channel settings, inserts, etc. Look at, e.g. Cubase's feature of exporting and importing "Track Archives".

Indeed, such functionality is what I'm URGENTLY missing. I work together with people that record stuff and I'd have to integrate their recorded tracks into one single mix. Seems impossible as for now with S1.

I'd like to push this topic. PLEASE, developers, add this feature!
Fosforic
Presonic
[Avatar]

Maybe I should put this in FR but it would be so great if tracks, events, busses etc would appear in a separate browser tab when multiple songs are open so you can drag and drop anyone of them between songs.
|| Windows 7 x64 SP1: MSI P67A-GD65, Intel Core i7 2600 3.4 GHz, Corsair Vengeance 16Gb, Crucial RealSSD C300 || Macbook Pro 13" Intel Core i5 2,4GHz ||

|| Motu 424 PCIe & HD192 || Yamaha CS1x || Roland FP-7 || Roland XV 5080 || Mackie HR624 mkII || Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro || SE 2200a || Thermionic Culture Rooster || Yamaha SPX50D || Samsung P2770x2 || Contour ShuttlePro V2, ShuttleXpress || Akai MPD-26 || Behringer HA-4700 || Samson S-Patch Plus || Shure SM7b || Korg MiniKey25 || UAD-2 Solo || Avatone Mixcubes || MCU Pro || Access Virus TI2 || Roland VT-3 ||

|| PreSonus Studio One Pro v2.6.0.24200 ||
[WWW]
kbostroem
Prenoob

@Fosforic: Yes, this would be totally awesome! For now, however, it would totally suffice if there was a "Copy Track" in the Track and Context menus that applies to currently selected tracks, together with a "Paste Track", so that one could copy tracks between open projects. Maybe even "Copy" and "Paste" in the Edit and Context menus would do it, if they would also apply to selected tracks. THIS would be straightforward and, I think, easy to implement, as the "Duplicate" feature internally copies a track already.
What about it?
mwright137
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Probably a moot point, but why didn't you do the overdubs in the original song in the first place? Just curious...
I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

MacBook Pro 13. OS X Mavericks - version 10.9.2
StudioLive 16.4.2; StudioLive 328AI (x2)
AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; FireStudio Project (x2)
Studio One 2 Pro 2.6.2 (64 bit)

[WWW]
kbostroem
Prenoob

The main reason is that the other guys use Cubase. Since S1 can open Cubase Track Archives, I can open their recordings in S1. But then I'm stuck since I cannot copy these tracks to the main project.
But there are other scenarios possible. Assume that the other guys use S1, too. Even then, I'd have to import their recordings. As it is for now, I'd have to give them the main project and have them record their tracks into it (on a totally different machine, with many plugins not usable since they haven't purchased them, which can also crash the program) and myself having to wait until they hand me back the main file with the new recordings, notbeing able to work on the project in the meantime. the issue ariseswhen you're not working alone in the bedroom but have to cooperate with the world outside. And whentrying to remix your own stuff, combining tracks from different projects.

Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion
Go to: