image description

Problems with FireStudio? Me too. Try This:
  Forum Index » FireStudio Forum Community Support 
Author
Prenoob

Imagine my excitement when I open the box to my new FireStudio 2626, install the software, and get ready to record the song buzzing around in my head. Unfortunately, the only thing that went smoothly between opening the box and pressing play on the song I just recorded was mounting the unit into the rack.

Almost a week later, after searching for hours on forums, trying different solutions, deleting software, installing software, deleting software, installing software, (lather, rinse, repeat), I have finally remedied every problem, and everything is working great. I've decided to post a list of issues I had (which seem to be common throughout the FireStudio family), and the step-by-step solutions that finally have me underway on the sea of music creation.

This series of posts will cover every trial and tribulation I encountered, and the solution (complete with a link to the source), to hopefully be an all-inclusive guide to the most common problems I read about and encountered in my journey through the forums.

Here's the problems I'll cover:
  • FireStudio not connecting in Windows 7, 64bt

• Universal Control freezing and not connecting with FireStudio

• Unable to update FireStudio firmware - Error -994

• No sound from headphones jack or any outputs of FireStudio

• Keep this in mind, and Monolithent said it best:

First and foremost, this thread is not to be considered a replacement for Presonus' tech support. They are very very good at what they do and I don't claim to have the knowledge of the products possessed by the real technicians. These are merely guideline and links so folks can try to help themselves to make a good buying decision.

And above all else...there are things suggested in here that should be done as a last resort and AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither I nor Presonus or any part of this forum take responsibility for any problems these suggestions may cause

HIs post was helpful as well, and is located here: http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/3535.page

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 27/01/2011 16:12:22

mack648
    Prenoob

The bell sounds, and class is in session.

Step 1:
  • Take the CD that came with your FireStudio out of the sleeve.

• Step 2:
  • Set the CD on your desk and place your drink on it. (it will remain here for the rest of the class.)

• I've found that this CD is useless, containing drivers that are old, but not old enough to be helpful.

So here we go.

If you're running Widows 7, the first thing you need to do is check to see what firewire chipset you have, and make sure it's compatible. Presonus shares their compatibility list here: http://www.presonus.com/media/pdf/hardware_compatibility.pdf . If you have no idea what your chipset is, you can check by running this OHCI tool: https://dev.tctechnologies.tc/tcat/tags/release/pu...ool/Win32/Release/ohciTool.exe (src: Monolithent)

If you have a compatible chipset, the next step is to change your firewire driver to the Legacy firewire driver. The default Windows 7 firewire driver is garbage, and is the cause of much frustration with the FireStudio.

Here's Monolithent's instructions on changing your driver:
  • Go to device manager

• Right click on IEEE 1394 device--click update driver

• When the next window opens select the radio button that says no I do not want to use Windows update to check for a driver--click next

• Select the radio button that lets you pick from a specific location or from a list--click next

• Select the radio button that says don't search I will pick from a list--click next

• Unselect the check box that says show compatible hardware

• Select the legacy driver--click next

• A window should pop up with a nice warning--click ok

• Reboot PC after it's done making the adjustments

• This was the solution to the FireStudio Not Connecting with Windows 7. Next up is Universal Control.
    mack648
    Prenoob

If you're reading this because you've already installed the software and drivers that came in the box an Universal Control is frozen when your Firestudio is connected, but unfreezes when it's disconnected, you'll need to do a manual uninstall and registry wipe of those drivers. There's apparently a known issue with FireStudio drivers not overwriting other versions, so we'll have to start from scratch. Here's how:

Just because Windows has the Add/Remove Programs feature it doesn't mean your application will appear in the list. Furthermore, even if it does appear, it's no guarantee that the uninstall feature will work.

*Be aware that these steps may not remove everything associated with the application and can impact other applications on the computer. Have a backup or restore point and use caution*

First go to Start>>Control Panel>>Go to Programs and Features, find the drivers (your device and/or Universal Control) and remove.

Next go to Start>>Computer>>Local Disk (C >>Program Files>>PreSonus and delete the device folder and/or the Universal Control folder. (It’s okay if it’s not there.)

• Go to Start>>Right click on Computer>>Select Properties>>Select Device Manager in the left column>>Go to Sound, Video and Game controllers. Find the PreSonus device, right click on it and uninstall.

• Now we need to edit the system registry. First, disconnect your interface. (For the instructions below, "Go to" means click on the "+" sign next to the indicated file to expand its contents. You will only be working in the left-side window of the Registry Editor, please ignore the right window completely.)

• Go to Start menu, seach for and open regedit.exe. Go to H_KEY_LOCAL MACHINE>>System>>Current Control Set>>Enum>>1394>>right click and delete the PreSonus key. If it gives you an error, then right click again, select permissions, select Allow for Full Control. Click ok. Right click on the file again and delete.

• Next go to H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>>Software>>PreSonus>>right click and delete the Devices folder.

• Next go to H_KEY_CURRENT_USER>>Software>>PreSonus folder. If you see a folder with your device name, right click and delete it.

• To remove the application entry from Add/Remove Programs (if present), navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall>>PreSonus and right click and delete the device folder in the title and/or Universal Control folder.

• Some applications have Services attached to them. If this is the case, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services, locate and delete the service.

• Exit the registry editor.

• Now delete any PreSonus drivers you downloaded to your hard drive. Empty your recycle bin and restart your computer.

• Don't do any downloading or installing of new drivers yet. We'll get back to that in a little while. This clean slate will make things easier on you once we return to Widows 7. Bookmark these instructions though, we will use them again. Frightening, I know, but bear with me, and you'll be screaming into your microphone in no time.

Next up, Back to Basics - Windows XP

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 27/01/2011 14:25:56

mack648
    Prenoob

If you're like me, you haven't been able to get your FireStudio on and connected to Universal Control, therefore, you haven't been able to update the firmware. The latest firmware will solve all of your problems, and is the last fix to get your FireStudio to work on Windows 7, but how do we accomplish it if it won't connect to Universal Control?

Simple.
    Windows XP.
    Ok, not so simple if you don't have a computer with a firewire port still running Windows XP.

For this dilemma there are two solutions:

• Make friends with someone with a firewire port still running XP,

• -or-

• Dual Boot your Windows 7 computer with Windows XP (this is what I ended up doing)

• To dual boot your system you'll need a Windows XP installation disc, (just borrow one if you're going to delete the installation afterward and restore your hard drive), and a bootloader program (here's the one I used: VistaBootPRO 3.3 (free version) http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/VistaBootPRO.shtml)

Some very easy to follow instructions for partitioning your hard drive and loading XP can be found here:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8790/dual-boot-your-pre-installed-windows-7-computer-with-xp/
    Again, remember to read them close, follow the directions, and always back up your system with a restore point in case something happens.

Ok, so moving onward, let's assume all went well and you have a stable XP operating system or you're on your friend's computer.

Step 1:
  • You'll need to download and FIRST FireStudio driver, PreSonus FireStudio 26x26 Installer v3.0.1.exe.zip from http://firestudio.serveftp.net/ . Don't download anything else yet, and bookmark this page, because you'll need it again.

Once you install PreSonus FireStudio 26x26 Installer v3.0.1.exe.zip and restart your computer, don't open anything yet, but connect your FireStudio. Follow the prompts to install the drivers, and you should get a solid blue sync light. Now, on your desktop, there's should be a link to update firmware. Run this program to update the first firmware.

• After your FireStudio restarts, turn it off (and leave it off), wipe the slate again (follow the directions above, and don't forget to delete the registry files too).

Step 2:
  • After your computer is clear of any previous Presonus software, go back to http://firestudio.serveftp.net/ and download and install PreSonus_Universal_Control_Installer_PC_1_1-3.5.2.zip. Again, once your computer restarts, turn on your FireStudio and follow the prompts to install the drivers. You should once again have a solid blue sync light.

You should also be able to Open and connect to your FireStudio with Universal Control. With the launcher window open, Click on "Settings>Check Firmware..." and you should have an update to do. This should be the last firmware update you need (at the time of me writing this), and you can go back to Windows 7. Go ahead an turn off your FireStudio and leave it off again for now.

• Step 3:
  • Now that you're in Windows 7, go to the Presonus Downloads page, (http://www.presonus.com/technical-support/downloads/drivers-software/ ) and download the lated software for FireStudio for the Windows platform. Once it installs and you've restarted your computer (yet again), turn on your FireStudio (again,) and follow the prompts (sound familiar?) to install the drivers.

• You should now have a solid blue sync light, in Windows 7, and be able to open Universal Control without it freezing! Once you set your outputs in Universal Control, this should cure your absence of sound from the headphones jack and rear outputs, and you are cleared to install your favorite DAW and record at will! Don't forget to check the box next to "terminate BNC" if you're not connecting a Digimax or any other unit to the BNC connectors in the back.

I hope this Guide is helpful, as it took a week of studying forums, gathering info, trial and error, and frustration almost to the point of re-formatting my computer and starting over. Hopefully this can be a "one-stop shop" to get people going that have had the same issues I and a lot of other people on the forums have had. Enjoy your Presonus gear, and get recording!
    Monolithent
    Supreme Baconator
    [Avatar]

Hi Mack,

I appreciate the plug in here for the thread. Mind you the bulk of the work in there is not mine. I'm merely the collector.

While we're on the subject of collector-ing. Would you mind if I threw a link to this thread into that one? This is very good stuff and answers a ton of questions for people.

Let me know.

Cheers,

The Mono-guy
    http://support.presonus.com

Tallest guy in the Mod Squad with all his hair still on his head.

No I'm not a freaking pilot!! The Air Force won't let me have a suit with a zipper...or sometimes shoestrings.

My advice and suggestions should never be considered advice or suggestions. These are mostly insane ramblings of a poor aircraft mechanic who can, strangely enough, still hear.

StudioLive 16.4.2, AudioBox 1818VSL, AudioBox 44VSL, Faderport, Digimax FS,, M-Audio Firewire 410
    --MultiBoot System--
    Win Vista 64/XP Pro/7 x86/7 x64 - Mac OSX Snow Leopard/Lion
    Gigabyte motherboard--SYBA TI Firewire XIO2200A--i7 2600k Quad Core--16 GB DDR III--Custom 2U Rackmount--4 TB Raid (all internal SATA II)--19" Samsung HDMI LCD on pivoting VESA 1U Mount
    Studio One v1 Pro x64
    Studio One v1 Artist
    Studio One v2 Artist
    [Yahoo!]
    mack648
    Prenoob

Link wherever you need, and that goes for anyone else who would like to use this. A lot of this info is not mine either, I just gathered it and put it all in one place, much like you did in your thread, to help people with the same issues I had.

Knowledge is power, but only if you share it.
    MurderMachine
    Prenoob

mack648 wrote:Once you install PreSonus FireStudio 26x26 Installer v3.0.1.exe.zip and restart your computer, don't open anything yet, but connect your FireStudio. Follow the prompts to install the drivers, and you should get a solid blue sync light. Now, on your desktop, there's should be a link to update firmware. Run this program to update the first firmware.

I get stuck here. Whenever I try to run the link on the desktop it says "Driver error. Check driver configutation and device connections".
    mack648
    Prenoob

Did you open the "update firmware" icon before you connected and installed the drivers for your FS?

The only other thing I can think of is not wiping the registry and installing clean.
    MurderMachine
    Prenoob

The "Update FireStudio Firmware" won't run unless the FS is connected and has the drivers installed.
    Monolithent
    Supreme Baconator
    [Avatar]

Very true.

You'd be best served at this point to completely remove the driver and reinstall. Or option B find a friend that has a computer with firewire and try it there.

No I'm not a freaking pilot!! The Air Force won't let me have a suit with a zipper...or sometimes shoestrings.

My advice and suggestions should never be considered advice or suggestions. These are mostly insane ramblings of a poor aircraft mechanic who can, strangely enough, still hear.

StudioLive 16.4.2, AudioBox 1818VSL, AudioBox 44VSL, Faderport, Digimax FS,, M-Audio Firewire 410
    --MultiBoot System--
    Gigabyte motherboard--SYBA TI Firewire XIO2200A--i7 2600k Quad Core--16 GB DDR III--Custom 2U Rackmount--4 TB Raid (all internal SATA II)--19" Samsung HDMI LCD on pivoting VESA 1U Mount
    Studio One v1 Pro x64
    Studio One v1 Artist
    Studio One v2 Artist
    [Yahoo!]
    MurderMachine
    Prenoob

Monolithent wrote:You'd be best served at this point to completely remove the driver and reinstall.

I've done it so many times I can do Brandon Hayes' insturctions on the driver removal with my monitor turned off

Monolithent wrote:Or option B find a friend that has a computer with firewire and try it there.

This is looking more and more likely. Updated info in my thread!

Thanks!
    -MM
    eciesielski
    Prenoob

Absolutely agree with mack648. See below, big help.
    I was ready to ship my Firestudio Project back if I did not have it working correctly by today.
    Once I uploaded from the website and got the license issues worked out everything would start up fine but
    would stop recording every 10 to 30 seconds. Sound would drop out at same times when not recording.
    Sound was fine through the universal controller only and would start to drop as soon as I opened studio one.
    I had loaded, unloaded, reloaded,deleted drivers, extracted drivers, you name it.
    I read the thread below from mack648 about the IEEE 1394 driver and changed it to the legacy driver.
    So far over 2 hours of 5 to 8 track recording without an issue.
    Thank You, I still have some hair left on my head.
    mack648
    Prenoob

I'm glad it worked for you, but don't thank me! I'm not the source, just the collector.

Happy Recording!
    Monolithent
    Supreme Baconator
    [Avatar]

Well thank you for collecting. BTW got your PM. I'll shoot you a response this evening if I get a chance.

--MultiBoot System--
    Studio One v1 Pro x64
    Studio One v1 Artist
    Studio One v2 Artist
    [Yahoo!]
    mack648
    Prenoob

MM, I have another idea.

From what I read in the forums, XP SP3 has issues running with some driver packs. I'd try to download and install the next driver pack, FireStudioInstallerv3.1.2.103.zip from http://firestudio.serveftp.net/ , and try to get the firmware on the machine to match.

Since you rented it, the machine might already be at the newest firmware, supporting windows 7, and this may be, possibly not, but may be an issue with XP SP3.

Forum Index » FireStudio Forum Community Support
    Go to: