image description

MIDI drum editing
  Forum Index » Studio One Feature Requests 
Author
Prenoob
[Avatar]

Hey guys!
I've been trying the S1 Demo for a couple of weeks now.
I'm almost sold to switch from my current DAW, but the MIDI drum editing in S1 really kills it for me...

In my (humble) opinion, there are two things you guys should develop in this area:
1) Import/export MIDI Drum Maps (I have the idea this was already requested, and is probably being devoloped);
2) Improve the MIDI Drum editing to be "beat oriented" instead of "note oriented". This is really important! Currently you basically have the same editing mode for both notes and beats, but drumming is much more about the time and velocity you hit the drums, not about how long you hit them (how long you press a note). Also, the notes being black (or dark grey, at full MIDI velocity) don't help with the programming...

I hope I made myself clear with my request...
I'm really enjoying S1, but the MIDI drum editing needs a good improvement!
I also miss folders in the recording area, but I can live without them...

Cheers!
http://www.myspace.com/thehaniak
sunmachine
Presonoid
[Avatar]

HANIAK wrote:
1) Import/export MIDI Drum Maps (I have the idea this was already requested, and is probably being devoloped);

By now you can use custom made drum maps to display names for drum instruments, but I'm sure you're already aware of this, right?
An automatic import would be nice, though!

MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 4 GB RAM | Mac OS X 10.6 | Studio One 2 Professional, 32 Bit
Sonic Core SCOPE | Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz | Windows XP@8 GB Compact Flash Card
tc electronic Impact Twin | novation Remote 61SL Mk II

Get 5 GB free GOBBLER space in the cloud for your DAW projects! For Mac and PC
[WWW]
kreeper_6
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Yes, drum mapping and a drum grid is needed.

Drum Mapping is when you can route hits/notes to separate MIDI channels.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 20/01/2011 23:17:20

Windows 8.1 x64 / Core2 Q6600 / Gigabyte EP35-DS3R F4 / 4GB DDR2 800 / EVGA GTX 650 Ti SC
Studio One x64 / 24Bit / 48kHz / 256 Buffer / Double Precision
FireStudio Tube / Axiom 25 / UAD-2 Quad v7.3
Motoko
Baconator
[Avatar]

If you are using a specific drum plugin you might want to check if it's in the drum map package that was made by a couple of the forum members a while back:

http://www.kusanagi.nl/index.php/preset-x-change/15-drum-maps

A lot of drum plugins also publish the pad names to the different patches in S1.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 21/01/2011 00:18:21

Mac OS X 10.8.2: iMac 21,5" - Core i3 - 8GB Ram
Mac OS X 10.8.2: MacBook Air 13" - Core i5 - 4GB Ram

PreSonus FireStudio Mobile || PreSonus AudioBox 44 VSL || PreSonus StudioLive 16.0.2 || Alesis Active M1 MkII || CME XKey || NI Maschine || Waldorf Blofeld

PreSonus Studio One Pro 2.6 || Pro Tools 10 || Digital Performer 8 || Ableton Live 9

SSL Duende Native || Plugin Alliance Transient Designer, Rack Pro, DrumXchanger || Softube Studio & Mix Bundle || ArtsAcoustic CL1 bundle, Reverb, Big Rock || FabFilter Total Bundle || FXPansion All Plugins || NI Komplete 8 || Synapse Audio DUNE || Tone2 ElectraX || Waldorf Largo || Image-Line Drumaxx || D16 Group Total Everything || Novation V-Synth, Basstation, FX Suite || Camel Audio Alchemy

Motoko || 64 Measures Music || YouTube || Mass Overflow || Manta Tracks
[WWW] [MSN]
HANIAK
Prenoob
[Avatar]

Thanks!! Wasn't aware of those drum maps!! Good stuff!

But the midi drum grid still needs improvement!
HANIAK
Prenoob
[Avatar]

So, are there any news on this (presonus guys)??
I bought Artist version about a month ago, to keep on experimenting, but I'm starting to think it was a dumb decision... the drum grid is a show stopper for me...
twostone
Presonic
[Avatar]

Motoko wrote:If you are using a specific drum plugin you might want to check if it's in the drum map package that was made by a couple of the forum members a while back:

A lot of drum plugins also publish the pad names to the different patches in S1.

Does this work with S1 Artist? and if so how do you use it?
where do you install it to?
Motoko
Baconator
[Avatar]

twostone wrote:
Motoko wrote:If you are using a specific drum plugin you might want to check if it's in the drum map package that was made by a couple of the forum members a while back:

Does this work with S1 Artist? and if so how do you use it?
where do you install it to?

Yes it works in S1 Artist, you can just unpack the maps in your user data folder. There where you songs and projects are saved.
The folder will look like this:

Studio One/
Demos and Tutorials
Presets
Songs
Projects
templates

PreSonus FireStudio Mobile || PreSonus AudioBox 44 VSL || PreSonus StudioLive 16.0.2 || Alesis Active M1 MkII || CME XKey || NI Maschine || Waldorf Blofeld

PreSonus Studio One Pro 2.6 || Pro Tools 10 || Digital Performer 8 || Ableton Live 9

SSL Duende Native || Plugin Alliance Transient Designer, Rack Pro, DrumXchanger || Softube Studio & Mix Bundle || ArtsAcoustic CL1 bundle, Reverb, Big Rock || FabFilter Total Bundle || FXPansion All Plugins || NI Komplete 8 || Synapse Audio DUNE || Tone2 ElectraX || Waldorf Largo || Image-Line Drumaxx || D16 Group Total Everything || Novation V-Synth, Basstation, FX Suite || Camel Audio Alchemy

[WWW] [MSN]
rluvsgin
Prenoob

If u make a snare roll in the drum grid is there a way to pitch each snare a semitone up or down? I see the pitch option down with the velocity and after touch buttons but it does nothing. How do I pitch the snares differently.
Scoox
Presonic
[Avatar]

rluvsgin wrote:If u make a snare roll in the drum grid is there a way to pitch each snare a semitone up or down? I see the pitch option down with the velocity and after touch buttons but it does nothing. How do I pitch the snares differently.

That's just the MIDI CC for pitch, but some instruments don't respond to certain MIDI messages. Perhaps the sampler you are using doesn't recognize MIDI pitch wheel messages.
My feature wishlist:
1. Automation clips
2. Ability to (optionally) undo everything, inc. plugin and mixer knob/fader/buttons, add/remove insert, add/remove plugin, etc...
3. Mixer snapshots
4. Wraparound slide audio items like in Reaper
LAGinz
Presonic

Hmm. For some reason my computer can't connect to that site
Separate 32 and 64 bit installations of Studio One 2.6 Prof.: 15" Lenovo 2.4 i7 W530 laptop w/8gb RAM, 1920 X 1080 screen rez; Windows 7 64 Bit SP1. Backup computer same brand and specs., other than it is E520 dual core, i5 with 1366 X 768 screen rez.
ollibeat
Prenoob

Yeap! MIDI drum map import button will be very usefull!

Hmm. For some reason my computer can't connect to that site

My too.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 14/01/2012 22:41:34

LAGinz
Presonic

I did manage though to download some rar files on this that Motoko posted in the Preset Forum. Are these the same, Motoko?
Separate 32 and 64 bit installations of Studio One 2.6 Prof.: 15" Lenovo 2.4 i7 W530 laptop w/8gb RAM, 1920 X 1080 screen rez; Windows 7 64 Bit SP1. Backup computer same brand and specs., other than it is E520 dual core, i5 with 1366 X 768 screen rez.
Motoko
Baconator
[Avatar]

The drum maps are no longer hosted on that site. A new location is coming up soon, I'll upload a updated version of the drummaps. They are still available in the preset forum though.

[WWW] [MSN]
awake1994
Presonic
[Avatar]

Hijacking this thread....

If you edit Toontrack MIDI clips, this is a mess in S1. So, what's about a drum editor (like Cubase). I've asked the manual but there's no information about this

Regards
Pete
SO 2.6.2 Prof.,Logic X, Notion 4, iMac 27 i7 16GB, MBP13 i7 8GB, Mavericks, SL16.0.2, several 4-5-6 Strings, Kronos, Nordlead 4
-----------------------------------------------
Let us turn on the beast, Jon!

Forum Index » Studio One Feature Requests
Go to: