image description

Anybody knows how to make a proper dubstep sub bass. HELP?
  Forum Index » Studio One Tips and Tricks 
Author
Prenoob

Anybody knows how to make a proper dubstep sub bass. HELP?
brokenknobs
Prenoob

Take sine wave. Distort it to add additional harmonics, then use a low-pass filter to cut everything except the really low frequencies. Use your years. The more frequencies you filter out, the less harmonics are in your sub bass. That's basically just one of many receipts...
Motoko
Baconator
[Avatar]

fazrulreza wrote:Anybody knows how to make a proper dubstep sub bass. HELP?

Basically there's a couple of elements involved in making a proper dubstep bass. One vital technique is called layering. Which means taking different bass sounds with each their own freq range and putting them on top of each other.

The actual sub is mostly just a simple sine wave running at -1 or -2 octaves from the root note. On top of that there's a pretty big bodied mid frequency bass with an LFO to the filter cutoff frequency. This LFO is synced to the tempo of the track 1/4s and 1/8s (including the dotted and triplet) are commonly used. Lastly there is top end which is synced in the same way and the second layer.

If you have a synth that has a multi layer architecture it is possible to create the bass in one synth. Most of the time though it's a combination of different synths, or even audio clips that make a bass in dubstep.

But, like I've mentioned on Skype, I'll get you some tutorials and examples.
Mac OS X 10.8.2: iMac 21,5" - Core i3 - 8GB Ram
Mac OS X 10.8.2: MacBook Air 13" - Core i5 - 4GB Ram

PreSonus FireStudio Mobile || PreSonus AudioBox 44 VSL || PreSonus StudioLive 16.0.2 || Alesis Active M1 MkII || CME XKey || NI Maschine || Waldorf Blofeld

PreSonus Studio One Pro 2.6 || Pro Tools 10 || Digital Performer 8 || Ableton Live 9

SSL Duende Native || Plugin Alliance Transient Designer, Rack Pro, DrumXchanger || Softube Studio & Mix Bundle || ArtsAcoustic CL1 bundle, Reverb, Big Rock || FabFilter Total Bundle || FXPansion All Plugins || NI Komplete 8 || Synapse Audio DUNE || Tone2 ElectraX || Waldorf Largo || Image-Line Drumaxx || D16 Group Total Everything || Novation V-Synth, Basstation, FX Suite || Camel Audio Alchemy

Motoko || 64 Measures Music || YouTube || Mass Overflow || Manta Tracks
[WWW] [MSN]
NAS
Prenoob

My favourite technique right now is to use a 3 osc synth
Osc 1 and 2 are both either saw or square, detuned against each other (Do this to your own taste)
Osc 3 is an octave lower sine
LP filter over all of it with the usual synced LFOs and slow attack envelope
The key to this simple way of doing it is to add a waveshaper after the synth (Finding the actual shape is experiment to your liking)

Cheers
NAS
SNS
Presonic
[Avatar]

im also slowly starting to get more into this bass heavy music,its nice to be experimenting with something else besides doing breakcore stuff all the time
http://soundcloud.com/subbasednb
FACEBOOK
http://www.facebook.com/Subbasednb

Frigt Teck Sounddesign
http://www.teamdnr.net/distorted-drums/
SHOW YOUR SUPPORT BUY MY SAMPLEPACK
Robitaille20
Presonic
[Avatar]

Would this be the same thing or along the same lines as what they are calling a "Bass Drop" in Metal, Nu-Metal type music? If so I'd be VERY interested in how this can be made. I know that live, a lot of drummers are triggering some type of 808 hit, but I have no idea how to go about recreating anything like that.
Motoko
Baconator
[Avatar]

Robitaille20 wrote:Would this be the same thing or along the same lines as what they are calling a "Bass Drop" in Metal, Nu-Metal type music? If so I'd be VERY interested in how this can be made. I know that live, a lot of drummers are triggering some type of 808 hit, but I have no idea how to go about recreating anything like that.

Just some quick examples...

PreSonus FireStudio Mobile || PreSonus AudioBox 44 VSL || PreSonus StudioLive 16.0.2 || Alesis Active M1 MkII || CME XKey || NI Maschine || Waldorf Blofeld

PreSonus Studio One Pro 2.6 || Pro Tools 10 || Digital Performer 8 || Ableton Live 9

SSL Duende Native || Plugin Alliance Transient Designer, Rack Pro, DrumXchanger || Softube Studio & Mix Bundle || ArtsAcoustic CL1 bundle, Reverb, Big Rock || FabFilter Total Bundle || FXPansion All Plugins || NI Komplete 8 || Synapse Audio DUNE || Tone2 ElectraX || Waldorf Largo || Image-Line Drumaxx || D16 Group Total Everything || Novation V-Synth, Basstation, FX Suite || Camel Audio Alchemy

[WWW] [MSN]
geoffy0404
Prenoob

17/01/2011 11:02:52 ;Subject: Anybody knows how to make a proper dubstep sub bass. HELP?

Basically there's a couple of elements involved in making a proper dubstep bass. One vital technique is called layering. Which means taking different bass sounds with each their own freq range and putting them on top of each other.

The actual sub is mostly just a simple sine wave running at -1 or -2 octaves from the root note. On top of that there's a pretty big bodied mid frequency bass with an LFO to the filter cutoff frequency. This LFO is synced to the tempo of the track 1/4s and 1/8s (including the dotted and triplet) are commonly used. Lastly there is top end which is synced in the same way and the second layer.

If you have a synth that has a multi layer architecture it is possible to create the bass in one synth. Most of the time though it's a combination of different synths, or even audio clips that make a bass in dubstep.

But, like I've mentioned on Skype, I'll get you some tutorials and examples.

Do you have these tutorials, Except for the processed wobble base youtube video i have so very much replayed a few times
pc999
Presonic
[Avatar]

Robitaille20 wrote:Would this be the same thing or along the same lines as what they are calling a "Bass Drop" in Metal, Nu-Metal type music? If so I'd be VERY interested in how this can be made. I know that live, a lot of drummers are triggering some type of 808 hit, but I have no idea how to go about recreating anything like that.

Do you mean Drop D tuning (or C/B/A...)?
Gears Of Music - Online Mastering/Mixing

We need full Novation AUTOMAP SUPPORT!

http://soundcloud.com/pc999
elsongs
Prenoob
[Avatar]

Please don't

Seriously, Native Instruments Massive will help make you the next Skrillex, lol. It's like the Stratocater/Les Paul of Dubstep.
Follow me on Twitter: @elsongs
[WWW]
Motoko
Baconator
[Avatar]

elsongs wrote:

Please don't

Seriously, Native Instruments Massive will help make you the next Skrillex, lol. It's like the Stratocater/Les Paul of Dubstep.

Ha haa... Dubstep is more then just a wobble bass from Massive and Skrillex isn't really proper dubstep. He also uses FM8 a lot...
Anyway, try LazorBass or Razor in Reaktor as well as Massive or FM8. Albino is also used a lot.

[WWW] [MSN]
elsongs
Prenoob
[Avatar]

Motoko wrote:
elsongs wrote:

Please don't

Ha haa... Dubstep is more then just a wobble bass from Massive and Skrillex isn't really proper dubstep. He also uses FM8 a lot...
Anyway, try LazorBass or Razor in Reaktor as well as Massive or FM8. Albino is also used a lot.

Okay, some of whatI said was in jest. In a former life I was an electronica artist, doing mainly drum n bass, though I started to gain some notoriety in the 2-step garage world for the brief moment it hit this side of the Atlantic. Then everything started to fade away and this "Electroclash" stuff started coming out. I thought it wasn't a good progression from what I had been doing, so I generally disavowed myself from almost all things dance/electronic since 2004. I've heard the early dubstep (which was more true to its name) nd though it was alright, but for me it was really a slowed-down drum n bass.

The wobble crap of today gets on my nerves. So basically all my bitterness is rooted in the fact that drum n bass never got any love back in the day and "dubstep" is the thing now. It's as if drum n bass never existed, but of course without drum n bass, THERE WOULD BE NO DUBSTEP. So yeah, I'm bitter.

Of course, history will prove that dubstep is merely the Flavor Of The Month, and something else will replace it in due time. It won't have the longevity that, house or techno have.
Follow me on Twitter: @elsongs
[WWW]

Forum Index » Studio One Tips and Tricks
Go to: