image description

(how?) does quantize or quantize auto work?
  Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion 
Author
Prenoob

I'm trying out Studio One trial for purchase, and I have many questions, because many things do not seem to work as the manual states. Here is one:

In the editor section, I have drum beats placed with a midi input. I am trying to quantize them to the nearest time division. While i can drag each one manually with snap, any quantize functions specified do not work, The manual states:
"To quantize an entire Instrument Part, select the Part
in the Arrange view and press [Q] on the keyboard or
choose Quantize from the Musical Functions menu.
To quantize an individual Note or Notes, select the
Notes in the Music Editor and then apply quantization,
as before."
Neither of these procedures does anything.

Also, there is a button named "auto' next to "snap" in the quantize section on the left hand side of the editor. The tooltip says "automatically apply quantize to selected notes". Ok, how? This button does nothing. I've tried selecting beats when the button is on. I've tried turning it on after the beats are selected. It does nothing. There's nothing in the manual on it either.

It will be tiresome indeed to have to drag every single note or beat into place, when every other DAW out there does some automatic version of this. Especially when Studio One claims to do the above. Is this as bad as it seems?

please advise,
thanks,
NJ

talmen
Presonoid
[Avatar]

I have not heard of anyone complain that quantize was not working. In earlier days, I think I recall some having difficulty with certain input devices or midi interfaces that introduced a midi latency that, if not offset properly, could cause quantization issues, but that doesn't seem to fit your description.

Everything working as advertised here. Not sure, but I don't think that would be a limitation in the demo. The implementation of quantizing isn't quite as elaborate in S1 as some DAWs (no groove quantization or tools to adjust sensitivity or percentage), but it works just fine (and exactly as described) for me. I kind of like the simplicity of it. When I want to retain a more human feel, I just use the "quantize less" function and re-apply until I reach the desired effect.

Not sure why it is not working at all for you. You could try removing, re-downloading and re-installing the demo, just to see if that helps. (You never know if something got somehow corrupted.) If not, I'd try talking to someone in tech support or pre-sales -- maybe they'll be able to figure it out.

I think it is worth figuring out, because I think S1 is such a nice tool. Sorry you're having trouble with the demo. Best of luck!

Field Kit:
MacBook Pro 9.2 i5 2.5 GHz, 8GB RAM,
OS 10.8.5;
SL 16.4.2, AB1818VSL, Alesis IO14 / IO26
PreSonus Capture 2.1.0.24135, PreSonus S1
v2.6.1.24770, Boom Recorder 7.25.3

Studio Kit:
iMac 11.3, i7 (Quad) 2.93GHz, 8 GB RAM,
OS 10.9.1,
M-Audio FW1814, PreSonus Faderport,
PreSonus S1 Pro 2.6.1.24770
themuzic
Baconator
[Avatar]

illusory wrote:I'm trying out Studio One trial for purchase, and I have many questions, because many things do not seem to work as the manual states. Here is one:

In the editor section, I have drum beats placed with a midi input. I am trying to quantize them to the nearest time division. While i can drag each one manually with snap, any quantize functions specified do not work, The manual states:
"To quantize an entire Instrument Part, select the Part
in the Arrange view and press [Q] on the keyboard or
choose Quantize from the Musical Functions menu.
To quantize an individual Note or Notes, select the
Notes in the Music Editor and then apply quantization,
as before."
Neither of these procedures does anything.

Also, there is a button named "auto' next to "snap" in the quantize section on the left hand side of the editor. The tooltip says "automatically apply quantize to selected notes". Ok, how? This button does nothing. I've tried selecting beats when the button is on. I've tried turning it on after the beats are selected. It does nothing. There's nothing in the manual on it either.

It will be tiresome indeed to have to drag every single note or beat into place, when every other DAW out there does some automatic version of this. Especially when Studio One claims to do the above. Is this as bad as it seems?

please advise,
thanks,
NJ

Make sure you have Studio One demo 1.6.2. There were some midi snap issues even after 1.5 so please check the version number.

http://www.homestudiotrainer.webs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/themuzic
Email - homestudiotrainer@yahoo.com
Skype - themuzic
Phone - 773-303-7260
I offer FREE assistance for Studio One (any version) and Presonus hardware, to anyone having issues or anyone who simply wants to learn

Gateway Tower - Intel Core i5 3330 CPU 3GHz 8GB Ram and 64bit Windows 8
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!]
AudioCave
Presonoid
[Avatar]

I love Atl+Q and use it a lot when editing midi.
Win 7 Desktop: I7 860 | 2.8 ghz | 8 gb ram | W7 Home Premium 64
The Audio Cave Website

Studio One Pro • Mackie d8b • Dynaudio BM5a's • M-Audio Audiophile AV30's • KRok Rokit 10s Sub • MOTU 2408 MK3 • Lavry Blue / Black ADA • AT 4050/CM5 • MXL V69 ME • Rode NTK • Oktava MC-012's • Shure Beta 52 • SM57's • Grace M101 • DBX 576 • Summit Audio TLA 50 • Art Pro VLA • Art Tube Pres • PreSonus DigiMax LT • Sony MDR 7506's • PreSonus ACP 88 • Behringer ADA 8000 • Firestudio Mobile • Altiverb 5 • Kontakt 4 - BFD / EZD • Roland D5 • Fender Jazz Bass
themuzic
Baconator
[Avatar]

AudioCave wrote:I love Atl+Q and use it a lot when editing midi.

ALT+Q? How is that different than just hitting the Q? Not trying to an ass....lol. It's just that I have always just hit the "Q" (no alt).

Does alt have a different value parameter? Just curious.

Skype - themuzic
Phone - 773-303-7260
I offer FREE assistance for Studio One (any version) and Presonus hardware, to anyone having issues or anyone who simply wants to learn

[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!]
AudioCave
Presonoid
[Avatar]

themuzic wrote:
AudioCave wrote:I love Atl+Q and use it a lot when editing midi.

ALT+Q? How is that different than just hitting the Q? Not trying to an ass....lol. It's just that I have always just hit the "Q" (no alt).

Does alt have a different value parameter? Just curious.

Quantize 50%. You know how you play a midi bassline and you have a nice flow going but it's not quite as tight as you'd like and yet, you don't want to hard quantize it. Alt+Q gives 50% movement towards the quantize value with every hit so you can kinda just slide along until it sounds better without necessarily hard quantizing.

Actually, I'd been meaning to change the default Q key command to that but keep forgetting.

OTOH, when I do hard quantize I'll zoom in, switch to 64th grid and slide everything a 64th or so to get it to feel a little better if it's too stiff. But I pretty much default to 50% quantize to start.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 10/01/2011 05:11:31

Win 7 Desktop: I7 860 | 2.8 ghz | 8 gb ram | W7 Home Premium 64
The Audio Cave Website

Studio One Pro • Mackie d8b • Dynaudio BM5a's • M-Audio Audiophile AV30's • KRok Rokit 10s Sub • MOTU 2408 MK3 • Lavry Blue / Black ADA • AT 4050/CM5 • MXL V69 ME • Rode NTK • Oktava MC-012's • Shure Beta 52 • SM57's • Grace M101 • DBX 576 • Summit Audio TLA 50 • Art Pro VLA • Art Tube Pres • PreSonus DigiMax LT • Sony MDR 7506's • PreSonus ACP 88 • Behringer ADA 8000 • Firestudio Mobile • Altiverb 5 • Kontakt 4 - BFD / EZD • Roland D5 • Fender Jazz Bass
illusory
Prenoob

I appreciate all your answers. But could someone please describe step by step what you do to perform the quantize -- in the editor, on already laid down drumbeats? Please try not to leave out any, even obvious (to experienced users) steps? I'm new at this, and perhaps I'm missing something...?

I do have ver. 1.6.2.13xxx installed.

thanks,
NJ
themuzic
Baconator
[Avatar]

Ok, sit tight. Video coming up......

Skype - themuzic
Phone - 773-303-7260

[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!]
kreeper_6
Presonoid
[Avatar]

All you need to do is select the notes needed to be quantized and press "Q" to quantize to the nearest value determined by your quantize setting (1/16, 1/32, 1/64). If you want to quantize the whole part click the event and press "Q". In the editor there is a little "wrench" that is a tool menu that also has the quantize option.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/01/2011 09:04:49

Windows 8.1 x64 / Core2 Q6600 / Gigabyte EP35-DS3R F4 / 4GB DDR2 800 / EVGA GTX 650 Ti SC
Studio One x64 / 24Bit / 48kHz / 256 Buffer / Double Precision
FireStudio Tube / Axiom 25 / UAD-2 Quad v7.3
themuzic
Baconator
[Avatar]

Wow, ok that video pretty much says it all. That's good because you showed the tool box menu (wrench) and I forgot that one area. So here's another video that has a few more different methods as well as a piece on the Auto function, that doesn't seem to work correctly. Thanx for the assist Kreeper.

Or - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr3QyDuyS6s

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/01/2011 10:32:34

Skype - themuzic
Phone - 773-303-7260

[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!]
kreeper_6
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Yep, I can't seem to figure the "Auto" feature either. It is set on as default also which if it did work I would not want that to be enabled by default.

It's not in the manual.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/01/2011 21:34:32

Windows 8.1 x64 / Core2 Q6600 / Gigabyte EP35-DS3R F4 / 4GB DDR2 800 / EVGA GTX 650 Ti SC
Studio One x64 / 24Bit / 48kHz / 256 Buffer / Double Precision
FireStudio Tube / Axiom 25 / UAD-2 Quad v7.3
jonathan
Presonoid
[Avatar]

What 'Auto' does is automatically apply quantize to selected notes when a quantize value is selected. So, you could select notes, then select a quantize value and it will quantize the notes when you select the value.
Jonathan, Product Manager, PreSonus
MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6/Win 7 x64
Q6600 QuadCore Vista 32-bit/Win 7 x64
illusory
Prenoob

Thanks SO much, kreeper and themuzic! So extremely cool you made these videos for clueless types like us. This did indeed help! Seems we were a bit too hung up on the auto button working as expected -- nice to know it's not just us who couldn't get that one to work, but especially that it's not really critical to the whole quantize thing. Helps to know where to find things that are mentioned in the manual, but not where they are We may have been using the arrangement controls for the editor area and vice versa.

The community of users says a lot about the software, as I've discovered in my years as a 3d graphics/video artist. So I suspect Studio One is a keeper...

Thanks again!
themuzic
Baconator
[Avatar]

jonathan wrote:What 'Auto' does is automatically apply quantize to selected notes when a quantize value is selected. So, you could select notes, then select a quantize value and it will quantize the notes when you select the value.

Jonathon, That was what I thought first but it doesn't work quite right. Check out my video though. It will not let you select the same value more than once, without going to a different one first. I show this example in the video so I think there is a bug.

Please check.

Skype - themuzic
Phone - 773-303-7260

[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!]

Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion
Go to: