image description

Firestudio VS Firestudio Project
  Forum Index » Pre-Sales Questions 
Author
Prenoob

Just wondering before I buy one. What is thte main difference between the Firestudio project and the regular Firestudio? I dont get the whole 24x24 and all that. Kinda confused. Thanks
Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

The FireStudio has some extra capabilities that the Project version doesn't. In order to make use of them you'll need nore gear like something that outputs sixteen channels of ADAT.

If you need to record an entire band or chestra piece by piece then the FireStudio is what you'll need.

If you only need 8 or fewer inputs then the project will work nicely for you.

Is that what you were looking for? Or do you need a more detailed explanation?
http://support.presonus.com

Tallest guy in the Mod Squad with all his hair still on his head.

No I'm not a freaking pilot!! The Air Force won't let me have a suit with a zipper...or sometimes shoestrings.

My advice and suggestions should never be considered advice or suggestions. These are mostly insane ramblings of a poor aircraft mechanic who can, strangely enough, still hear.

StudioLive 16.4.2, AudioBox 1818VSL, AudioBox 44VSL, Faderport, Digimax FS,, M-Audio Firewire 410
--MultiBoot System--
Win Vista 64/XP Pro/7 x86/7 x64 - Mac OSX Snow Leopard/Lion
Gigabyte motherboard--SYBA TI Firewire XIO2200A--i7 2600k Quad Core--16 GB DDR III--Custom 2U Rackmount--4 TB Raid (all internal SATA II)--19" Samsung HDMI LCD on pivoting VESA 1U Mount
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
Fright420
Prenoob

Well I want to record my drumset and i have 7 mics for all different drums. Then i want to like put it on a track and combine it with my guitarists recording and vocalist and bass. But we are not recording everything at the same time. Just need something good with enough inputs for 7 mics, and the project has 8 right? So i think that should be good.
Fright420
Prenoob

also, what does it mean by it has 8 mic presets, or preamps or whatever?
Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

8 mic preamps means that you have the ability to run any type of microphone level input into the system and have the ability to amplify it to line level for output or recording via a DAW.

Microphones have a very low input signal level and must be amplified to be of use to other equipment. The pre-amp boosts that signal to one that is useable.

Just gathering from what I've read so far I would start off with the FireStudio Project. Getting into ADAT can be a real headache if you don't really know the ins and outs of more basic gear (no disrespect intended). Both pieces will give you initially enough to get a 7 piece drum mic set and a single vocal into the system (personally I rarely go above 4-5 drum mics). What you can do is what is called multi tracking to get everything else in. Start by recording your drums or drums and vocals or drums and guitar (however you want to do it) into the DAW. Then play them back through the headphone outs to your guitarist and have him play along as you record his guitar or you singing or what-have-you into the system. You can do both at once or any combination you like...sky's the limit for creativity. Then all you have to do is adjust everything in the DAW and mix it down to a stereo track and you're done.

Hope that's helpful.

No I'm not a freaking pilot!! The Air Force won't let me have a suit with a zipper...or sometimes shoestrings.

My advice and suggestions should never be considered advice or suggestions. These are mostly insane ramblings of a poor aircraft mechanic who can, strangely enough, still hear.

StudioLive 16.4.2, AudioBox 1818VSL, AudioBox 44VSL, Faderport, Digimax FS,, M-Audio Firewire 410
--MultiBoot System--
Gigabyte motherboard--SYBA TI Firewire XIO2200A--i7 2600k Quad Core--16 GB DDR III--Custom 2U Rackmount--4 TB Raid (all internal SATA II)--19" Samsung HDMI LCD on pivoting VESA 1U Mount
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
Fright420
Prenoob

Yeah really helpful, thanks man! I think im going with the project. Its plenty for just recording my drums, then we'll probebly record the guitar and vocals and bass seperate then put it all together. Thanks for your help!
systemjakob
Prenoob

Can i ask, do both firestudio and firestudio project allow ALL 8 tracks to have phantom, i was confused by the Firestudio allowing banks of 1-4 and 5-8, and the project working in pairs?

Also either models have the ethernet port at the back for the remote, to allow for surround mixing?
Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

Neither has ethernet. The only way you'll be able to do anything surround based (as far as I know) is to feed a different channel into each input and give a separate output to each speaker. But I will admit that I am no where near an expert in that case. It would be nice if it does but I don't think it will.

The banks mean that Phantom power will power in those particular groups when turned on. There's a button that powers 1-4 inputs and 5-8 inputs on the one and then 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, etc. on the other.

Hope that makes sense.

--MultiBoot System--
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
Phireally
Prenoob

systemjakob wrote:Can i ask, do both firestudio and firestudio project allow ALL 8 tracks to have phantom, i was confused by the Firestudio allowing banks of 1-4 and 5-8, and the project working in pairs?

Also either models have the ethernet port at the back for the remote, to allow for surround mixing?

The FireStudio's Phantom power works in blocks of 4, meaning .. there's (1) switch for channels 1 to 4 and (1) switch for channels 5 to 8.
The FS Project works in blocks of 2.

The FireStudio has an Ethernet Port (Cat 5) that allows the MSR Remote to be connected. The remote does handle all of speaker output control but is not necessary to do surround, the Universal Control App that comes with the unit can handle the surround sound control as well.

One more thing ... the FireStudio can be expanded to a total of 26 inputs and outputs (26 x 26) ....
The Firestudio Project will only expand to a total of 10 ins and outs. (10 x 10)

Blessings
PhireAlly

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/01/2011 04:12:04

MacPro Quad 2.66 (Woodcrest) - 16GB - OSX 10.7.5
MacBook Pro 2.4 (Penryn) - 6GB - OSX 10.8.3
Apogee Duet 2 (Mac & IOS)
Presonus FireStudio 2626 with FC2626
AudioBox 1818 VSL with VSL 1.2
Studio One Pro 2.5.2
MOTU Digital Performer 7.24
Ableton Live Lite 8
Cubase 4 Ai
Bias Peak Pro 7.0.3
UAD 2 - TC Powercore 4.4 - Waves v9
Native Instruments Kontakt 4 & 5 - Guitar Rig 4 & 5
Garritan GPO 4 - JABB 3
IK SampleTank 2 - AmpliTube 3
UVI Workstation 2
EZ Drummer - BFD eco - Roland TD6V Drums
Steinberg Virtual Guitarist 2
willroland
Prenoob
[Avatar]

Phireally wrote:
systemjakob wrote:

The FireStudio has an Ethernet Port (Cat 5) that allows the MSR Remote to be connected. The remote does handle all of speaker output control but is not necessary to do surround, the Universal Control App that comes with the unit can handle the surround sound control as well.

Pretty sure that's not true. I don't think the MSR port is Ethernet, it's probably an analog GPIO or RS485 or RS232 serial link. The panel connector is an RJ-45, the cable used to connect it to the MSR is a Category 5 UTP cable, but this doesn't make the connection "Ethernet".
Mac Pro 8-Core, 12G RAM, 2TB Disk, 30" Cinema Display, Snow Leopard
MacBook Pro 4G Ram, 500G 7200 RPM Disk, 24" Cinema Display, Snow Leopard
Logic Studio 9, Studio One Pro (not using anymore), DSP Quattro, Sibelius 6, Waves, Izotope plugs among others
Primary interface: RME UFX. Also own Apogee Duet, MOTU UltraLite III, StudioLive 16, FireStudio Mobile
[WWW]
pfliegaphonic
Prenoob

Hi all,

I too appreciated the help given in this forum.

I am currently recording our band's Demo using a Firepod and HP4 into my iMac running Garageband. This is working well b/c everyone is reasonable (not like in your videos, heh) and fine with a pretty rough mix. Plus, we're tight enough to record sans scratches and vocals and can lay down the basic 8 tracks live without a click, in time... etc. All good so far and the Firepod is fine for this purpose.

When we go to record the "album" I will be using a FireStudio Project and HP60, which I just bought from a neighbor in amazing condition today. I realize I cannot daisy-chain the Firepod to the Firestudio (I don't think)... but maybe I can?

Anyway, what I'm most interested in when it comes time to lay down the basic tracks for the "album" is better monitoring with the capability to put a click in my ear (I'm the drummer) and not in everyone else's cans. And for finer grained monitoring. I think the FSP and HP60 will do me right.

I'm thinking ahead to expansion and wonder... someday when I want more inputs will I be wanting another FS Project or will I be wanting a Firestudio? Are people chaining THOSE two devices together and which one runs the clock? And what about the Central Station for the mixdowns?

I am trying to make the wisest investments now so that I don't end up constantly upgrading and leaving behind a graveyard of incompatible or obsolete devices. Is there a tutorial for building up your system over time?
DAW:
- FireStudio Project
- HP60
- HP4
- iMac 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo, , 2GB RAM, OSX Lion
- G-Tech 1TB G-Drive

Mics:
Gtr: SM57 + AT4040
Bass: SM57
Drums: Beta52, SM57, AT2020 (OH pair)
Mandolin/Vox: varies
matthewgorman
Presonoid
[Avatar]

pfliegaphonic wrote:Hi all,

I too appreciated the help given in this forum.

I am currently recording our band's Demo using a Firepod and HP4 into my iMac running Garageband. This is working well b/c everyone is reasonable (not like in your videos, heh) and fine with a pretty rough mix. Plus, we're tight enough to record sans scratches and vocals and can lay down the basic 8 tracks live without a click, in time... etc. All good so far and the Firepod is fine for this purpose.

When we go to record the "album" I will be using a FireStudio Project and HP60, which I just bought from a neighbor in amazing condition today. I realize I cannot daisy-chain the Firepod to the Firestudio (I don't think)... but maybe I can?

Anyway, what I'm most interested in when it comes time to lay down the basic tracks for the "album" is better monitoring with the capability to put a click in my ear (I'm the drummer) and not in everyone else's cans. And for finer grained monitoring. I think the FSP and HP60 will do me right.

I'm thinking ahead to expansion and wonder... someday when I want more inputs will I be wanting another FS Project or will I be wanting a Firestudio? Are people chaining THOSE two devices together and which one runs the clock? And what about the Central Station for the mixdowns?

I am trying to make the wisest investments now so that I don't end up constantly upgrading and leaving behind a graveyard of incompatible or obsolete devices. Is there a tutorial for building up your system over time?

For future expansion, you will be fine with a firewire device. You can chain the studio live's, FS Mobile, FS Project, Firestudio together to get additional inputs. The HP 60 will allow you to create separate mixes, with/without click, and you are limited by what your interface can put out.

I just recorded 15 tracks live for a friend of mine over the weekend. I used an FSTube for the clock, chained with an SL1602, and it worked like a dream. The band is a 4 piece. I had 8 mics on drums, 2 gtr, and 3 vox. Can't wait to do the next one.
Matt

Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bt, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor
StarTech EC13942 34mm Expresscard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839158010&Tpk=startech%20EC13942
S1Pro V2 (Special Dog Balls Edition), Melodyne Editor, Nomad Factory Studio Bundle, Waves Renaissance Bundle, Firestudio Tube, Faderport, Monitor Station, HP4 Headphone Amp Yamaha HS50 Monitors.
Shure Mics (57's, 58's, and a 1953 Unidyne), Various AKG, Various MXL Ribbon Mics.

1974 P-Bass, 1990 Jazz, 1985 Guild B302, Ampeg SVT with 4x10x15 cabinet

http://soundcloud.com/stars_apart
matthewgorman
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Fright420 wrote:Just wondering before I buy one. What is thte main difference between the Firestudio project and the regular Firestudio? I dont get the whole 24x24 and all that. Kinda confused. Thanks

While there may be more ADAT inputs than you need, there is one difference that I wished I would have known when I purchased my FSTube.

The Firestudio gives you much more in terms of monitoring and tracking. When you get the MSR remote, you can have the ability for talkback (I'm really getting tired of yelling into the other room), and multiple speaker hookups to A/B your mixes.

In very simple terms, with the Firestudio you get a beefed up Firestudio Project AND a Monitor Station. With a Firestudio Project you get, well, a Firestudio Project. You will be very happy with either, but the differences can save you some money in the long run.
Matt

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839158010&Tpk=startech%20EC13942
S1Pro V2 (Special Dog Balls Edition), Melodyne Editor, Nomad Factory Studio Bundle, Waves Renaissance Bundle, Firestudio Tube, Faderport, Monitor Station, HP4 Headphone Amp Yamaha HS50 Monitors.
Shure Mics (57's, 58's, and a 1953 Unidyne), Various AKG, Various MXL Ribbon Mics.

pfliegaphonic
Prenoob

this is the advice I am looking for. I thought as much... since I will be doing the mix as well, I should be keeping my eyes peeled for an affordable FS 26x26. Now, do you recommend a Central Station when that time comes?

matthewgorman wrote:
Fright420 wrote:Just wondering before I buy one. What is thte main difference between the Firestudio project and the regular Firestudio? I dont get the whole 24x24 and all that. Kinda confused. Thanks

While there may be more ADAT inputs than you need, there is one difference that I wished I would have known when I purchased my FSTube.

The Firestudio gives you much more in terms of monitoring and tracking. When you get the MSR remote, you can have the ability for talkback (I'm really getting tired of yelling into the other room), and multiple speaker hookups to A/B your mixes.

In very simple terms, with the Firestudio you get a beefed up Firestudio Project AND a Monitor Station. With a Firestudio Project you get, well, a Firestudio Project. You will be very happy with either, but the differences can save you some money in the long run.
DAW:
- FireStudio Project
- HP60
- HP4
- iMac 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo, , 2GB RAM, OSX Lion
- G-Tech 1TB G-Drive

Mics:
Gtr: SM57 + AT4040
Bass: SM57
Drums: Beta52, SM57, AT2020 (OH pair)
Mandolin/Vox: varies
matthewgorman
Presonoid
[Avatar]

pfliegaphonic wrote:this is the advice I am looking for. I thought as much... since I will be doing the mix as well, I should be keeping my eyes peeled for an affordable FS 26x26. Now, do you recommend a Central Station when that time comes?

matthewgorman wrote:

That's the beuty of the Firestudio. For simple a/b speaker selection you don't need the additional hardware. That's what justifies the higher price, less gear to buy. Double check the specs and make sure it fits your application. For my needs (recording band material, mixing, mastering) I wish I would have bought one. I do love my FST though. Don't be too concerned with growing out of XLR inputs. With Firewire you can always add more. Either borrowed or purchased.
Matt

Forum Index » Pre-Sales Questions
Go to: