image description

recording post fader presonus live 16:4 digital mixer
  Forum Index » Live Sound 
Author
Prenoob

Is there anyway to record using capture or pro tools 9 a live show post fader, so I actually record the actual mix? If so how?

what I'm really trying to do is record the actual mix so i can sell it after a show.

Thanks in advance!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 19/12/2010 19:46:51

TheLols.ie
Prenoob

Would that not be as simple as recording the Left Right Outputs?
kidboy500
Prenoob

I don't think so because I would want to record the reverbs and compression settings as well?
PhilG
Presonoid
[Avatar]

kidboy500 wrote:I don't think so because I would want to record the reverbs and compression settings as well?

TheLols.ie wrote:Would that not be as simple as recording the Left Right Outputs?

recording the main outs in capture records whatever goes to your speakers live

2 x SL16.4.2's
Audiobox USB
Studio One V2 Pro
/ Rack System
AMD FX-4170 / 16GB DDR3 / Win7x64 / Via 6308FW Onboard
/Mobile System
Toshiba Satellite P200 / 8GB DDR2 / Win7x64 / Ti FW & i7 13" MBP
/Wireless
Ipad v1 16gb - Samsung Galaxy Tab - Asus Black Diamond router

[Email] [WWW] [ICQ]
Palaios
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Recording only what comes out of mains seldom does sound decent unless whole band does it´s act on electronic instruments.

Exceptions are shows with 1000% backtrack and/or HipHop "live" acts
Firestudio Project iMac 3,2GHz i3 8Gb 1Tb MBP 13"4Gb S1 Pro
[Email] [WWW]
Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

Might I recommend a blend of the main outs which have everything that is in the entire mix and the audio from at least a pair of audience mics.

I do it all the time and it sounds very close to the real thing.
http://support.presonus.com

Tallest guy in the Mod Squad with all his hair still on his head.

No I'm not a freaking pilot!! The Air Force won't let me have a suit with a zipper...or sometimes shoestrings.

My advice and suggestions should never be considered advice or suggestions. These are mostly insane ramblings of a poor aircraft mechanic who can, strangely enough, still hear.

StudioLive 16.4.2, AudioBox 1818VSL, AudioBox 44VSL, Faderport, Digimax FS,, M-Audio Firewire 410
--MultiBoot System--
Win Vista 64/XP Pro/7 x86/7 x64 - Mac OSX Snow Leopard/Lion
Gigabyte motherboard--SYBA TI Firewire XIO2200A--i7 2600k Quad Core--16 GB DDR III--Custom 2U Rackmount--4 TB Raid (all internal SATA II)--19" Samsung HDMI LCD on pivoting VESA 1U Mount
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
formula428
Prenoob

I may even bounce it to an Aux (say....5-6) instead of the main outs. You can route the auxes to take the compression and EQ settings. reason for this is a small room, which may affect your main out mix (drums, for example) unless you're already unbelievably loud. of course, if that were the case, I doubt anyone would want to buy a CD from you.

the downside to this idea is, unless you're only the "soundman", mixing a second "alternative" mix from stage (for the recording) would be near impossible during the show. you'd have to have a really good mix from the beginning and just "tweak" it during the show.
Palaios
Presonoid
[Avatar]

I´ve done this sort of "live" recordings and had to route all available auxes & groups + mains to separate mixer and record the act from it. Don´t want to do it never ever again.
Firestudio Project iMac 3,2GHz i3 8Gb 1Tb MBP 13"4Gb S1 Pro
[Email] [WWW]
rockstardave
Presonic
[Avatar]

what you guys are all missing is the Post Dig Out button on the fat channel.

engage that button (near the HPF) and it records each channel just like normal, but it takes the post-fat channel signal.
2xSL16 , KW-series , Macbook pro / ipad , fairly decent mics and DI boxes.
[WWW]
Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

Not disagreeing with you Dave, but a method like that won't sound live.

No I'm not a freaking pilot!! The Air Force won't let me have a suit with a zipper...or sometimes shoestrings.

My advice and suggestions should never be considered advice or suggestions. These are mostly insane ramblings of a poor aircraft mechanic who can, strangely enough, still hear.

StudioLive 16.4.2, AudioBox 1818VSL, AudioBox 44VSL, Faderport, Digimax FS,, M-Audio Firewire 410
--MultiBoot System--
Gigabyte motherboard--SYBA TI Firewire XIO2200A--i7 2600k Quad Core--16 GB DDR III--Custom 2U Rackmount--4 TB Raid (all internal SATA II)--19" Samsung HDMI LCD on pivoting VESA 1U Mount
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
rockstardave
Presonic
[Avatar]

who said it needed to sound live?

and why not just throw up an audience mic into one of the channels, if thats the desired sound?
2xSL16 , KW-series , Macbook pro / ipad , fairly decent mics and DI boxes.
[WWW]
Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

That's usually what I do. I try to avoid recording post just because it temds to overload too often.

--MultiBoot System--
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
dbruce409
Prenoob

Monolithent wrote:Not disagreeing with you Dave, but a method like that won't sound live.

The digi out button is the solution. Actual it does sound live without additional room mics. I've recorded numorous live acts with great results. My clients all want a great recording during the performance with the audience chatter between songs not during. Using markers, cross fades and some editing makes it a simple task.
Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

My apologies especially to rockstardave. I usually try to avoid giving answers with no grey area (won't sound live, etc.). So if I ruffled any feathers I truly do apologize.

I was never really happy with the digi out when I tried it but that was a while ago. I will give it another look now that I'm much more fluent with the board.

--MultiBoot System--
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
rnaqvi
Presonic
[Avatar]

If you don't want to burn a channel on an audience mic, just use the talkback mic preamp and route it in capture to a separate track. Sure stereo mics will give you a more 'realistic' room sound. But if you are just looking for a little ambience and applause in between songs, the TB works great and doesn't eat up any of your channels.
Rick Naqvi
VP of Sales
rnaqvi@presonus.com
[WWW]

Forum Index » Live Sound
Go to: