image description

Using A Fantom X8 as Midi Controller , Is it possible?
  Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion 
Author
Presonic
[Avatar]

I have a Fantom X8 keyboard and I have had it for awhile and I was wondering if it would be possible to use it for inputing Midi Data( making drum tracks and all that jazz. I have yet to even use any of the synth sounds because I don't have a controller to use them with.
So My question is how would I hook up the keyboard so that it would transmit midi info.
So far I have this,
midi outon the keyboard > midi in on the FS mobile.
note: whenI touch the keys and pads on the keyboard I see the little orange arrows next to the midi symbol on S1 lite up but I can not get the midi to trigger any of the softawre I have Like EZdrummer or Kore.
When I open up the Kore Software I can see it recieveing MIdi data as well in the little right hand bar, it seems like it is even velocity accurate with the singals it shows , but again , no sounds.

If anyone could walk me through setting this up , If it is possible, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ricky

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 27/10/2010 00:03:27

Toshiba Quisimo X505 ~ Windows 7 Home Premium ~ Intel i7 64 bit
Dell 546 ~ Windows 7 Home Edition
AMD Phenom X3 64 bit
Focusrite 18i20 ~Faderport ~ FIRESTUDIO Mobile ~Firestudio 26x26 ~ AudioBox USB ~

Monitors
Event ASP 8 ~ Sony MDR 7506 ~ Wharfedale

Preamps
ART MPA Gold Preamp and ART ProChannel Strip ~ M Audio TAMPA ~ VTB 1 ~ San Amp

Microphones
Rodes M3 ~ AUDIX i5, OM-2,OM-5, D6, ~ Shure SM7b, 57, 58, ~ Oktava 319's and MK 2500 Tube ~ and others miscellaneous dynamic and condenser microphones

Insturnments
Fender Jaguar Bass ~ Schrecter Ultra III ~ ESP Viper (custom Baritone) ~ Roland Fantom X-8 ~ 5 pc. Mahogany Ddrum Set with Meinl Classic Cymbals

Software
StudioOne 2 Pro (most current Update ) 32 /64bit

Soundforge 9 ~ Audition 3 ~ Architect, ~ Alloy ~ Ozone ~ Nector ~ Drumagog ~ EZ Drummer ~ Steven Slate Drums 3.5 ~ Slate Trigger ~ Slate FG-X ~ Amplitude 3 ~ Ampeg SVX ~ Guitar Rig 4 and other Various Plugins.
fat chief
Presonic
[Avatar]

i walked through the manual and did everything in the midi set up portion of the instructions and I got nothing.
any Ideas.
I have even tried a midi to usb cable and the same results.
but witht the difference of having a USB midi option in the recieve / send boxes that wasn't there before.
AMD Phenom X3 64 bit
Focusrite 18i20 ~Faderport ~ FIRESTUDIO Mobile ~Firestudio 26x26 ~ AudioBox USB ~

Monitors

Preamps

Microphones
Rodes M3 ~ AUDIX i5, OM-2,OM-5, D6, ~ Shure SM7b, 57, 58, ~ Oktava 319's and MK 2500 Tube ~ and others miscellaneous dynamic and condenser microphones

Insturnments
Fender Jaguar Bass ~ Schrecter Ultra III ~ ESP Viper (custom Baritone) ~ Roland Fantom X-8 ~ 5 pc. Mahogany Ddrum Set with Meinl Classic Cymbals

Software

Soundforge 9 ~ Audition 3 ~ Architect, ~ Alloy ~ Ozone ~ Nector ~ Drumagog ~ EZ Drummer ~ Steven Slate Drums 3.5 ~ Slate Trigger ~ Slate FG-X ~ Amplitude 3 ~ Ampeg SVX ~ Guitar Rig 4 and other Various Plugins.
themuzic
Baconator
[Avatar]

fat chief wrote:i walked through the manual and did everything in the midi set up portion of the instructions and I got nothing.
any Ideas.
I have even tried a midi to usb cable and the same results.
but witht the difference of having a USB midi option in the recieve / send boxes that wasn't there before.

ok, if you're just going to use it as a controller,

1. Plug the midi out of the fantom into the midi in on your firestudio soundcard.

2. Now, go into the external devices setup and create a new keyboard.

3. For the midi ports, choose the Firestudio's midi in and out in the send and receive boxes.

4. Go into control link and setup all you knobs.

Now, when you drag in a VSTi, change the midi in on that track to the newly created keyboard and you should be working.

Also be aware that you may need to turn on the Midi send on the Fantom.

http://www.homestudiotrainer.webs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/themuzic
Email - homestudiotrainer@yahoo.com
Skype - themuzic
Phone - 773-303-7260
I offer FREE assistance for Studio One (any version) and Presonus hardware, to anyone having issues or anyone who simply wants to learn

Gateway Tower - Intel Core i5 3330 CPU 3GHz 8GB Ram and 64bit Windows 8
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!]
fat chief
Presonic
[Avatar]

Muzic, again thanks for your guidence. I am in the midi wonder land.
The step that I was missing was the monitor button, I feel like an "VG". lol
Much appreciation on the control link info. Very easy to set up and start working right away.
Would you know if it is possible to remap the keyboard itself for certain instruments, I was able to map out the pads and the knobs, but I could not get any changes on the keyboard Keys?

Thanks once again, soon I'll get to the point that I will be able to help out others like you have helped me.

With much appreication,
Ricky
AMD Phenom X3 64 bit

Monitors

Preamps

Microphones

Insturnments

Software

themuzic
Baconator
[Avatar]

fat chief wrote:Muzic, again thanks for your guidence. I am in the midi wonder land.
The step that I was missing was the monitor button, I feel like an "VG". lol
Much appreciation on the control link info. Very easy to set up and start working right away.
Would you know if it is possible to remap the keyboard itself for certain instruments, I was able to map out the pads and the knobs, but I could not get any changes on the keyboard Keys?

Thanks once again, soon I'll get to the point that I will be able to help out others like you have helped me.

With much appreication,
Ricky

No sweat. I'm glad it worked. There is no way in S1 to remap the keys themselves (unless you can do it in the keyboard) but there is an option that I use for my V-Drums and you can use it also with any keyboard.

If you can't see the video, click this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZy6SxShn88

http://www.homestudiotrainer.webs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/themuzic
Email - homestudiotrainer@yahoo.com
Skype - themuzic
Phone - 773-303-7260
I offer FREE assistance for Studio One (any version) and Presonus hardware, to anyone having issues or anyone who simply wants to learn

Gateway Tower - Intel Core i5 3330 CPU 3GHz 8GB Ram and 64bit Windows 8
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!]

Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion
Go to: