image description

Cubase 5 or Studio One????
  Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion 
Author
Prenoob

I just wanted to se if there were any Cubase 5 users who have switched over to Studio One.

If so... please share your reasons why.

Thanks!

Jamie
Pan.Krutilkin
Prenoob

I've switched, but not totally yet. There are still some issues that makes me use Cubase 5.

Switched mostly because of speedup work flow. It is not polished totally for me yet, but I have big hopes for v2.0 and patches for 1.6
Windows 7 x64: Intel Core i7 930 @2.80 Ghz Quad core, 6 Gb (3-channel) Ram.

Cubase 5.5; PreSonus Studio One Pro; Reaper
AudioCave
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Can't say I've "switched" but I do use Cubase much less these days. My main reasons in no particular order are...

1. Using it made me start to hate the various floating windows in Cubase.
2. It made the relative lack of drag/drop functionality in Cubase much more annoying.
3. I prefer the automation system in many ways.
4. Handling channels in the mixer is much less annoying. You still can't move a mixer channel in Cubase and bussing/grouping in S1 is so much better done, sending tracks to busses, hiding, etc.

Drag and drop file render is also something that once you start using it, dropping consolidated stems or midi files to disk, it's hard to go back.

Probably the biggest reason is the dongle. I don't mind the Cubase dongle but I don't have to move it around anymore having 5 licences for S1... never have to take my dongle out of the house. That was actually one of the main reasons I bought Reaper some time ago... losing your Cubase dongle would be an expensive proposition.

Having said all of that.... Cubase is (obviously) currently way more powerful than S1 but I find I personally need some of those things like Variaudio or Warping less and less these days.

So (personally for me, YMMV) when I weigh the pluses against the minuses, the positives so far outweigh the negatives (missing features like comping in lanes etc,) I mostly just stay in Studio One.

I guess what I'm saying that if you use both there will be workarounds to certain things for both. The S1 workarounds are (for me) much less annoying than the other way around.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 20/10/2010 21:01:42

Win 7 Desktop: I7 860 | 2.8 ghz | 8 gb ram | W7 Home Premium 64
The Audio Cave Website

Studio One Pro • Mackie d8b • Dynaudio BM5a's • M-Audio Audiophile AV30's • KRok Rokit 10s Sub • MOTU 2408 MK3 • Lavry Blue / Black ADA • AT 4050/CM5 • MXL V69 ME • Rode NTK • Oktava MC-012's • Shure Beta 52 • SM57's • Grace M101 • DBX 576 • Summit Audio TLA 50 • Art Pro VLA • Art Tube Pres • PreSonus DigiMax LT • Sony MDR 7506's • PreSonus ACP 88 • Behringer ADA 8000 • Firestudio Mobile • Altiverb 5 • Kontakt 4 - BFD / EZD • Roland D5 • Fender Jazz Bass
bm3w
Presonic
[Avatar]

1. better and faster workflow in S1
2. support of FXP/FXB in S1
3. drag & drop heaven in S1
4. fantastic PreSonus Customer Service
5. nice community
6. tired of Steinberg's arrogance, ignorance
7. tired of Steinberg's slow pace of fixing bugs and often diminishing the workflow (instead of improving it)

There are still a few nice features missing from Cubase, but I have quite a big VST arsenal which compensates for most of them. The evidence that PreSonus is continously working on bug fixes, new features and even a big 2.0 update makes Studio One also a very enjoyable experience.

Cheers,
bM3w
Studio One Pro 2.6.2 x86 / x64 | RME HDSP 9632 | UAD-2 Solo | Yamaha KX25 | Akai MPD18 | Novation Nocturn | CME UF6 | Tannoy Reveal 501a
Windows 8.1 Pro x64 | Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R | Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 | 4GB RAM
themuzic
Baconator
[Avatar]

I may be the only one so far that has made a complete switch from Cubase 5, here on the forum. S1 has all the features I need at this point for me to run my studio for a client based business. Anything else added to S1 would be a bonus for me at this point. With a few third party web free-bees, I've solved all my missing feature issues. I have 7 client installs of Studio One and three of them use it exclusively.

Each time S1 gets an update, it usually ends up that I can dump another third party app.

Either way it's pretty cool as I found how much bloat Cubase had for me. Now, be advised that for more advanced midi producers Studio One has a long way to go for Midi features. There's no score and really deep midi editing is not there yet...... YET!!

Audio features for me are right where I need them but I think other folks should pop in here and describe what Audio features are still needed.

http://www.homestudiotrainer.webs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/themuzic
Email - homestudiotrainer@yahoo.com
Skype - themuzic
Phone - 773-303-7260
I offer FREE assistance for Studio One (any version) and Presonus hardware, to anyone having issues or anyone who simply wants to learn

Gateway Tower - Intel Core i5 3330 CPU 3GHz 8GB Ram and 64bit Windows 8
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!]
FyLe ForMatz
Presonic
[Avatar]

themuzic wrote:
Each time S1 gets an update, it usually ends up that I can dump another third party app

that's awesome.

i kicked pro tools, logic, and most recently propellerhead record to the curb in favor of S1.

two "bloatwares" and one "underware" (under-developed software)...and haven't looked back since.

been religiously combing through the S1 Pro manual, and i'm having a great time learning how the software "thinks"...along with the feature set.
http://soundcloud.com/fyle-formatz
Kahlbert
Presonificator
[Avatar]

themuzic wrote:I may be the only one so far that has made a complete switch from Cubase 5, here on the forum.(...)

I come close.

I abandoned updating from C4 to C5 because S1 came just in time. I found workarounds for the features I actually miss (only two in fact, not talking about the nice-to-haves), nearly finished transferring my projects, and already advertised for selling my C4.
[WWW]
themuzic
Baconator
[Avatar]

Yep. I got a whole Cubase system I'll be selling soon as well.

Old rig.....

Steinberg Cubase Studio 5
Steinberg CC121
Steinberg CI2
Steinberg Houston USB Controller (in 100% mint condition)
Steinberg VSL2020 PCI sound Card w\ 2 Behringer ADA8000s (for 16 in and 16 outs)
Steinberg MidEx8 (8 in 8 out midi interface)

Now, just for fun, they were replaced by;

Presonus Studio One Pro
Presonus Faderports (2 of them)
Presonus Firestudio Tube (16 in 8 outs)
Presonus Firestudio Mobile
Presonus HP 60
Presonus Monitor Station
Presonus Studio Channel

In case anyone was curious.

Skype - themuzic
Phone - 773-303-7260
I offer FREE assistance for Studio One (any version) and Presonus hardware, to anyone having issues or anyone who simply wants to learn

[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!]
SEA
Prenoob

Thanks guys! So far Studio One sounds like it's worth taking a closer look at.

What about version 2.0? Is it coming out soon and what is it supposed to have?

SEA
themuzic
Baconator
[Avatar]

SEA wrote:Thanks guys! So far Studio One sounds like it's worth taking a closer look at.

What about version 2.0? Is it coming out soon and what is it supposed to have?

SEA

1.6 was just released and I think we're a good 6 to 12 months away from a 2.0. That's just my opinion, however. Maybe someone else closer to it has a better guess?

Skype - themuzic
Phone - 773-303-7260

[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!]
nk_e
Presonic
[Avatar]

I'm still bouncing between the two personally.

But you've got to ask yourself the question: How much DAW do you really need?

Let me be the first to drop any pretense: I don't come close to pushing the envelope on any of the DAWs I own (and I own most of them on the mac and have for years). Here's an excerpt from one of my recent blog posts.

This experience prompted a bit of soul searching on my part about DAWs and one’s true needs versus one’s ego and self image. How much power in a DAW do I really need? Not claim to need, or like to believe I need. I mean how much power do I use and thus actually need?

S1Pro is a very efficient, hyper fast way to work. It doesn't get in the way with a bunch of legacy features and arcane methods to find them. The flipside is that there are a number of features from the more mature apps (e.g., VST Expressions) that are not implemented (currently). But those don't matter if you don't really use them in the first place.

There are trials available of both. Give them a spin and ask yourself this: For what I do, what will be the more productive environment for me. You are not going to "go wrong" with either one ultimately.

Cheers and good luck.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 21/10/2010 03:26:46

If you want EUCON Support.. Go http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/19149.page

12 core 2.66ghz Mac 5,1 | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.8.2 | S1Pro 2.5.1 | Cubase 7 | DP 8.0.1 | Reason 6.5 |

www.gesslr.com
twitter.com/gesslr
soundcloud.com/gesslr
[WWW]
xzb6np
Presonic

I still have some older songs recorded in Cubase 4. The other day I opened it to show another sound engineer a mix. It pop'd the "I'm sorry but your license is hosed" message from Syncrosoft. I had to reinstall the licensing stuff to fix it.

I think that says it all right there.
Thanks
Baconator
[Avatar]

xzb6np wrote:I still have some older songs recorded in Cubase 4. The other day I opened it to show another sound engineer a mix. It pop'd the "I'm sorry but your license is hosed" message from Syncrosoft. I had to reinstall the licensing stuff to fix it.

I think that says it all right there.

I agree with you there. I don't miss the Dongle or the Syncsoft stuff at all!!

Skype - themuzic
Phone - 773-303-7260

[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!]
FyLe ForMatz
Presonic
[Avatar]

nk_e wrote:
S1Pro is a very efficient, hyper fast way to work.

that's the most important thing to me in a DAW...

workflow > features
http://soundcloud.com/fyle-formatz
SEA
Prenoob

FyLe ForMatz wrote:
nk_e wrote:
S1Pro is a very efficient, hyper fast way to work.

that's the most important thing to me in a DAW...

workflow > features

AGREED!

The main thing I use is lots of VSTi's and midi. I have PLAY, Spectrasonics, Vir2, Superior 2, Komplete 7 etc., and I want a DAW that will handle Windows 7 64 bit and read my 8 gigs of ram with ease. With that being said... does all the above VSTi's work in S1 and if so are there any "bugs" or other VSTi's I didn't mention (Like the Moog V) that has issues?

I also want something that can handle my quad core and eventually my new i7 core. I was looking strong into Reaper (and I still might start using it) because it seems to be very cpu light and handles 64 bit with no problems I hear. I also want to start using other plugs like Stillwells 64bit.

As far as midi goes, I do the basic stuff like edit midi notes velocity and length yada, yada, yada. Not sure about VST Expressions. I'm more old school.

I do like C5's pitch correction without having to get Melodyne. Does S1 Pro have (or plans on having) a built in pitch correction tool like C5 for vocals? if not, how does S1 Pro work with Melodyne?

SEA

Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion
Go to: