image description

Studio one vs Logic Studio
  Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion 
Author
Presonic

Just wanted to know if any former Logic users have complete switched over to Studio one and why did you leave logic studio........
imac 2.5 16gb RAM OS X 10.9.1
Presonus Studio One Pro v2 2.6.2
Akai MPC Studio
Focusrite18i20
Native instruments Komplete 9
East/West Composer Edition
Yamaha Motif XF 6
MacBook Pro 2.0 i7
LPK 25
aim icon
bedstrom
Presonoid
[Avatar]

kidinme wrote:Just wanted to know if any former Logic users have complete switched over to Studio one and why did you leave logic studio........

I did. I was never a full time Logic user however. The big issue for me was that the UI for logic is very non-standard compared to typical Mac or Windows conventions. It takes a lot of work to get fluent in Logic. The basics of S1 work pretty much as expected making recording and editing more fun.

Logic has a deeper feature set but steeper learning curve. Logic has a more comprehensive set of instruments but it doesn't really matter because S1 has nice included instruments and great support for 3rd party instruments and plug-ins.

I used Logic on versions 8 and 9. I actually un-installed it about 3 months ago to reclaim the drive space.

I also don't like the dull gray screens and lack of tool-tips. I attempted to standardize on Logic numerous times. Every time I did a project in Logic i realized that it just wasn't for me. After I got going in S1, there was little reason to go into Logic except to do "tape stop" style effects.
Bill Edstrom
Videos & Books on Computer Music Creation
Follow my blog at:
http://billedstrom.com

Studio One for Engineers and Producers
The Power in Cakewalk SONAR - Hal Leonard Books
Studio One 2 Explained
Studio One 2 Advanced
StudioLive AI Explained - Groove3.com

OSX 10.9.1, Mac Pro 6-Core, 3.3GHz, 32GB, SSD, SL24AI, SL32AI, FSPx3, US-366, FaderPort, Genelec, Equator, Sceptre S8, U87si, Sennheiser MKH416, ATM50
Studio One 2.6, Waves, Fabfilter, Izotope, PSP, Valhalla, Toontrack, Softube

Windows 8 64-bit, 15" i7 4-core laptop, 16GB, Studio One 2.6, AB44
[WWW]
kidinme
Presonic

Do you still use Logic or are you done with it?
Akai MPC Studio
Focusrite18i20
Yamaha Motif XF 6
MacBook Pro 2.0 i7
LPK 25
aim icon
bedstrom
Presonoid
[Avatar]

kidinme wrote:Do you still use Logic or are you done with it?

Currently, it's not even installed. I usually take a new look at every DAW when new revisions come out. I use a lot of different programs and try to maintain a basic working knowledge of as many of them as I can.

I also use Cubase, Pro Tools and Live. But in reality only Live gets any use besides S1 right now. I still kept PT and Cubase on my drive but Logic got booted when I needed to clear some drive space.
Bill Edstrom
Videos & Books on Computer Music Creation
Follow my blog at:
http://billedstrom.com

Studio One for Engineers and Producers
The Power in Cakewalk SONAR - Hal Leonard Books
Studio One 2 Explained
Studio One 2 Advanced
StudioLive AI Explained - Groove3.com

OSX 10.9.1, Mac Pro 6-Core, 3.3GHz, 32GB, SSD, SL24AI, SL32AI, FSPx3, US-366, FaderPort, Genelec, Equator, Sceptre S8, U87si, Sennheiser MKH416, ATM50
Studio One 2.6, Waves, Fabfilter, Izotope, PSP, Valhalla, Toontrack, Softube

Windows 8 64-bit, 15" i7 4-core laptop, 16GB, Studio One 2.6, AB44
[WWW]
brain23
Prenoob

Hi, i left Logic, i had to buy it for a job, where i got a logic project, i worked with it 2 years, mainly version 8, had a lot of problem s with latency and midi clock, i only miss ultra beat, which is great, i come from the akai mpc 2000 scene and need an easy, fast sequencer and thats why i bought s1 after i checked the demo. Soundwise the S1 Daw is much better, the pro eq and the compression is just great, for Logic you need a 512 MB Videocard, otherwise the handling of the graphs is a drag, jumping, unprecise, thats also much better in S1, i still have Logic on my system, as Cubase, just in case a client comes with such a projects, but i havn´t used it, till i have S1...ok S1 is not finished and i have bugs here and there, today i found out, that you cannot use a muted track with modulation a second time, i mean in the second track you cannot use the modulation anymore because its overwritten from the muted one, ...crash...ok but when i look a the bigger picture...S1 is superb, Apple has no interest in Logic, Yamaha has no interest in Cubase...its better to stick to musicians than to salesman, my one cent brain
strizbiz
Prenoob

Im a Logic user, I tried Studio one and decided to stick with Logic, @ bedstrom I have no idea of why it would take someone a lot of work to get fluid in Logic, or what you meant by the lack of tool tips (there are tool tips) I was a digital performer/ pro tools user for many years and fell right into Logic the first time I tried it (Logic ver 8 that is) For some its an adjustment coming from any DAW you re comfortable with and trying something new. Also @brain23, I had no problems with latency or midi clock at all, Latency usually means its your Audio interface, CPU, etc, but usually any Latency can be handled by setting the buffer size accordingly.
So anyway getting back to the subject, yes I did take Studio one pro for a spin around the block, I thought it was pretty nice and will try not to bash it since Im pretty new at using it and sure there are lots to discover with it, but I have to admit I dont see it causing me to leave Logic by a long shot. Im sure people are going to have different experiences with it , depending on their set up, but I found it to be less responsive than Logic. I think Logic does have better Instruments but it doesn't affect my decision because I use a lot of 3rd party instruments as well. I also play guitar, bass and keys and Logic blows S1 out of the water as far as amps, cabs, stomp boxes, and presets go. The bottom line is everyone has there preference so you will have to go with what ever lets you create your music the best. The last thing I will say (@brain23) How can Apple have no interest in Logic?????? um...they MAKE Logic... Apple makes MACS... Apple makes their own Operating system AND they make LOGIC... so if all the components are made by one company what DAW do you think will run the most seamlessly with a mac?
nk_e
Presonic
[Avatar]

I use them both and each have their place.

LOGIC is a deeper DAW with more features, dooddads, some great technology (flex time, extremely efficient CPU-wise), and a killer set of extras (VIs, loops, other apps). It is not nearly as perplexing as it used to be (I've used it since something like version 3 or 4), but that does not mean it is simple. I find that if you are getting started with Logic, spending $50 on some video lessons from macprovideo or groove3 is worth every damn penny.

S1Pro does not have all of the doodads and arcane features of a more mature DAW like LOGIC (or CUBASE, or DP, or...). What it does have is: a) an amazingly fluid and intuitive workflow (the drag n drop stuff is just cool), b) design approaches and GUI features that learn from all the stuff that has gone before in other DAWs, and c) a modern code base (which means updates are quicker to implement, and the damn thing just rocks on an up-to-date system). It's really easy to be productive.

Now how much the missing stuff matters to you depends on what you need to do. Doing a lot of video? S1Pro is not for you yet, but LOGIC isn't much better either. (You should look at DP or Nuendo.) Complex Orchestral mock-ups? Maybe s1Pro can work, but CUBASE with VST Expressions may be better. Small project studio and need to produce some cuts quickly and get the masters out of the door? Maybe S1Pro fits the bill.

You get the idea....What do you really need?*

There is a free trial available. Give it a whirl...

Peace and good luck

*- I wrote a piece on this topic on my blog at http://nk-e.com/2010/09/29/how-much-do-you-really-need-in-a-daw/.
If you want EUCON Support.. Go http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/19149.page

12 core 2.66ghz Mac 5,1 | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.8.2 | S1Pro 2.5.1 | Cubase 7 | DP 8.0.1 | Reason 6.5 |

www.gesslr.com
twitter.com/gesslr
soundcloud.com/gesslr
[WWW]
kidinme
Presonic

Logic has Studio One beat hands down on CPU performance.
Akai MPC Studio
Focusrite18i20
Yamaha Motif XF 6
MacBook Pro 2.0 i7
LPK 25
aim icon
serstickman
Presonic
[Avatar]

Used Logic in many flavors since 2007. I switched recently to S1 due to a cleaner overall sound vs Logic. I think Logic's synths are way ahead of S1 as is their amp modeling.

For me, S1's cleaner sound quality & all the killer drag & drop features Logic does not have made switching an easy choice. I still have Logic on my computer for their synths & guitars if/when I need them.

Maybe if there's ever a Logic 10 I will switch back...maybe not. YMMV
Studio One 2.6.2, Logic X, Cubase 7.06, Pro Tools 10, Revalver, Pod Farm 1 & 2, Guitar Rig Pro 5, Kontakt 4, EWQL Symphonic Choirs, EWQL Symphony Orchestra, Studio Drummer, T-Racks 3, Slate's RC-Tube, , i7 3.5 quad core 16gb Ram, Focusrite 6i6, Blue Spark Mic, OS X 10.9.2
[WWW]
themuzic
Baconator
[Avatar]

kidinme wrote:Logic has Studio One beat hands down on CPU performance.

I use Studio One full time and I have no other DAW installed on my main machine. But I do have to admit this is one area Presonus still needs to work on. The CPU usage in Studio One is about 10% higher on average (compered to Cubase and Pro tools) and spikes more than any of them.

However, having built client machines with all 3, Studio One still sounds better than all of them.

just my buck fifty's worth.

http://www.homestudiotrainer.webs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/themuzic
Email - homestudiotrainer@yahoo.com
Skype - themuzic
Phone - 773-303-7260
I offer FREE assistance for Studio One (any version) and Presonus hardware, to anyone having issues or anyone who simply wants to learn

Gateway Tower - Intel Core i5 3330 CPU 3GHz 8GB Ram and 64bit Windows 8
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!]
kelldammit
Presonic
[Avatar]

i preferred dp to logic in general, and did like logic an awful lot, but i like s1 better.
i will say that i do think the instruments in logic are far superior (there are some great SYNTHS in there, not just sample players).
i liked being able to put lyrics into markers, and audio layback to qt video (which incidentally was broken for most of the time i used it)...but beyond that...i don't really miss anything else. i actually just sent my old copy of logic to my brother.

kell
Some people are like slinkies. They don't have a purpose, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
--
Lenovo e520, i5 @2.3ghz, 8gb Ram, 7200rpm hd, win7 pro x64, studio 1 v2 pro x64, focusrite saffire usb-6, akai mpk-61.
[WWW]
litesnsirens
Presonic
[Avatar]

I did many years in Cubase, started with them when they were midi only. In 2007 I switched to Mac and decided to give Logic a whirl. I found it to be fun to work in started using it a lot, almost exclusively. I would say if you are huge into midi then yes Logic has a deep feature set but for a lot of stuff that I do it doesn't. In fact it was missing a lot of features that Cubase had that I used a lot. ESX24 is really outdated as is the audio editor.

For me Studio One is a hands down winner. But I think it really comes down to what you do with your DAW. If you are primarily a musician that records a lot of instrument performances, you're probably going to like Studio One with it's drag and drop of effects and the melodyne integration. That's what I do, there is enough midi support for me to record some parts in midi and then tweak and perfect them, and it's perfect for recording guitar and vocal tracks.

If you live primarily in the midi world and rely on piecing together loops to make your songs, I think Studio One is still pretty damn good but I know that Logic is really deep with midi so it might be better if you can learn how to use all the features, and the transformer and the complicated environment. Having said that I still would recommend Studio One. Reason?? It's still early on, the things you can do, you can do in a way that makes sense and I am certain feature set will come that will put them ahead of Logic in every category. The support and communication from Presonus is 5000 X better than what you get from Apple (I'm a huge Apple fan but sadly in the Logic world this is true).
Kevin Neill
Studio One V2.0.4
2011 Macbook 2.0 GHz i7 Quadcore
8Gig RAM
Presonus Studio Live 16.0.2
Melodyne Editor 2.1
Native Instruments Komplete 8 Ultimate
abba
Prenoob

ST needs to improve its cpu usage its not effecient it spike with minimal plugins and they need to have better synth.Todays DAW needs to be complete and being complete means they must have a comprehensive native vst plugins.
sqwirral
Presonic

abba wrote:ST needs to improve its cpu usage its not effecient it spike with minimal plugins and they need to have better synth.Todays DAW needs to be complete and being complete means they must have a comprehensive native vst plugins.

No, that's why they are called plugins
S1 Pro 2.6 x86 w/ Win7 x64
i7-2600k @ 4.3GHz, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, 12GB Mushkin, OCZ Agility 120GB, GTX 460 1GB, M-Audio 1010LT
graytermedia
Presonic
[Avatar]

As a long time Logic user (since ver 4), I have to admit that it's a hard habit to break. I committed to S1 when ver 2 was released and went about transferring all of my work into S1.

I still have it installed and open it up from time to time. There are a few items in my workflow that S1 simply doesn't do, and I keep it around for that reason. If S1 added Flextime, I'd never open Logic again.

I use Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 to offset the efficiency issues in S1 and Pro Tools, so the plug-in thing isn't an issue.

I'm still waiting to see what Logic X may bring, but the more I use S1, the less I worry about it. They're just tools, and if I find that I need something in Logic X, I'll get it. I dropped the idea of using "one program" exclusively a long time ago. It's bad for business.

Terry

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 21/12/2012 17:10:32

i7-3770K 3.5GHz Hackintosh | 32 GB | NVIDIA GTX 680
MBP 17" 2.53 GHz i5 | 8 GB | OSX 10.7.5
Apogee DUET | PreSonus FIREPOD (FP10) | MASCHINE MK2 | FADERPORT |
M-Audio Axiom 61 | KRK Rokit 6 Monitors
Studio One v2, Logic Pro 9, Pro Tools 10, Ableton Live, REAPER 4
[WWW]

Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion
Go to: