image description

What EQ setting should be used for a violin?
  Forum Index » 16.4.2 
Author
Prenoob

I am running the soundboard at my church and we got a violinist in the band. Do any you have any suggestions as what the EQ setting should be for starters?
Miltondavis
Presonic

The first question is how you will be "collecting" the sound. Will you use a microphone or does the violin have a pickup? What kind of mic or pickup?

Regards,
Milton Davis
[WWW]
mwright137
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Also, what does it sound like WITHOUT EQ. Might not need any at all...
I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

MacBook Pro 13. OS X Mavericks - version 10.9.2
StudioLive 16.4.2; StudioLive 328AI (x2)
AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; FireStudio Project (x2)
Studio One 2 Pro 2.6.2 (64 bit)

[WWW]
Silver06
Prenoob

We are using a piezo pickup which is then connected to a direct box.
danieoomen
Prenoob

In any case use the high pass filter till you start to hear the sound getting thin. Then lower the highpass filter till the thinning effect is gone.
As far as I know the Studiolive board has some fatchannel prsets. Take a look there.

Also be sure you use the right DI.
A normal DI will make the piezo elements sound "queecky". You can waste youre time EQ-ing while the error is somewhere else.

A very good DI is Radial PZ DI.
It's the only one with the correct load / impedance for piezo pickups.

It's adjustable in three setting / 220 kOhm / 1 MOhm / 10 M Ohm.
Only the last one is suitable for you violin.

Take a look at: http://www.radialeng.com/r2011/pzdi.php

Cheers,

Danie / The Netherlands

GLJones
Presonic
[Avatar]

I mix a rock band made up of acoustic strings with pickups. First, the piezo pickups are not good. If it is the black, stick-on type, you won't get good sound out of it at all.

Look for the pickups that have the thin metal leaf that fits into the slot on the bridge. Fishman are good and what our band uses.

A good DI box is a must. We use the L.R. Baggs Venue DI boxes. Each is adjusted for optimum level and individual EQ to handle the worst offending frequencies.

The real issue with answering a question like this is that every violin is different. They resonate at different frequencies and you have to taylor your EQ to each instrument individually. Don't be so quick to roll off the high and low frequencies outside the range of the instrument as the overtones and harmonics are important to the overall sound of the instrument.

For recording, I place a dual ribbon mic about 1.5 feet above the bridge to capture the highs, bowing noises and strings. I place a large element condenser about a foot below the instrument to capture the lows and wood resonating. I record three tracks including the pickup and mix them as appropriate for the sound I want. Using a pickup alone for recording will result in a sound that is a bit harsh and contains a lot of bow noise such as scratchiness during slow bowling and fingering noises on the fingerboard.
Jerry Jones

On the road:
PreSonus StudioLive 24.4.2 or 16.0.2
MacBook Pro 15"
iPad
iPhone
QSC K12s
QSC KW-Sub
Sennheiser G3 Wireless Instrument Systems (6)
Sennheiser G3 Wireless Monitor Systems (6)
Studio One 2 Professional

In the Studio:
PreSonus StudioLive 24.4.2 or 16.0.2
Mac Mini
Studio One 2 Professional
Logic Pro 9
Yamaha HS80M Studio Monitors
JBL Sub
Samson C-QUE-8 Headphone Amp

Violectric.net
FretlessRock.com
[WWW] aim icon