image description

studiolive 32AI doesn't cut it
  Forum Index » StudioLive General Discussion 
Author
Prenoob

Sorry, but I just don't see the value in this new board. It only has 4 fx engines, no moving faders or recallable preamps. They should have went a different direction than the other boards because I really think they missed the boat. I decided to do it right and I went with the GLD-80. Hell, the new soundcraft board is a better choice than the 32AI. Don't get me wrong, I still love my 16.4.2
Gizzmo0815
Presonoid
[Avatar]

That's the great thing about opinions. Everyone can have one

And you don't even have to apologize for having it!

I think the real money is in the integration changes. You're talking about physical changes to the board (of which there are many) over the previous models. Those changes come at a cost though. With a well established user base that have all gotten used to the StudioLive workflow its it a better tactical choice NOT to change those things too much in my opinion. However the additional integration options the new line offers you've got the ability to put together a kit for either live or studio that's REALLY tight and simple to use, but without the same kinds of restrictions that used to be standard with some of their competitors like Avid's old paradigm around Pro Tools.

And, as you've pointed out, there are so many other options that are out there, you can truly pick your poison

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 30/08/2013 15:48:24

Computer: Lenovo y560, 2.0 GHz quad core, 8 gb RAM, Win 7 (x64)
Presonus "Stuff": Studio One Pro, Presonus Firestudio Mobile, Studiolive 16.0.2, Faderport
Blue Beagle Music
My Blog
[WWW]
twostone
Presonic
[Avatar]

I think it's about features and what the potential customer wants for features ? Which usually the number one feature is sonic quality which we all know that Presonus mixer hold their own with sonic quality.

Klypeman
Presonic
[Avatar]

I just love the XMax preamps clean sound from my sl24 AND my Projects and that's a decider for me.
Just hope for good trade-ins now.

the GLD-80 is a totally different fish in price and features, and still a Allen & Heath GS2-R24M is more expensive than 3242AI.

My 2 cents...
Windows 7 64bit Pro, Studio One 2.6 Pro, Cubase 7.5, Logic, Pro Tools, MacBook Pro, 24.4.2, 2 Projects, Firestudio 2626, Mackie MCU, Mackie PROFX 22, All Steinberg CMC´s, Yamaha SY 55, DSI Mopho, KRK Rokits 6´s, KRK VXT 8´s, SE Electronics HP6, SM Audio Mpatch 2.0+ 2.1, CME 61, Nocturn 25, UAD Plugins Galore, TC Voicelive Touch, Faderport.

gadget69
Presonificator
[Avatar]

Personally I see the active integration as a step toward the next generation where many of the features we have been asking for will be implemented. The current platform restrictions, tooling for manufacturing, will have to be completely re-done. No small task for a small but growing company...
NOTE: If your having an issue, open a tech support ticket and bring the number here if you want help!
http://support.presonus.com

Tools:
OHCI tool and Latency mon:
http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/11348.page

We, the few, that have done so much, for so long that now we can do everyything with nothing

dbx forum moderator

Lenova Ideapad Z565
Best connectivity Express card/firewire 2 port (400) that does NOT suggest having the TI chipset. (always worked great)
BYTECC Express card (400/800)07150358281

Asus/AMD processor tower. This setups just works on all firewire devices.

Belkin N450 dual band router, works with SL and Ai mixers
Studiolive 16:4:2
SL Ai24.4.2
ABUSB 1818VSL
Faderport
USB pre interface
Studio one Pro V2
LABsubs

loads of audio, and studio gear, and audiophile sound gear (gearslut)
[Email] [Yahoo!]
mwright137
Presonoid
[Avatar]

I agree. The ability to keep the same frame on the new mixer and concentrate on the guts and software will really help in the long run to keep their prices where they are. They are putting very powerful processors in there and the coming I/O cards will make for very interesting FREE upgrades to come. Not that the new I/O cards will be free, but the firmware upgrades have always been free.

Rick hinted at the future ability to daisy chain a large amount of channels. That doesn't help me personally, but I'm sure there are some people that can't wait to blast past the 52x52 limitations of the first generation FireStudio stuff.

I agree that I wish the 32 had more subgroups, though. Or at least 4 stereo subgroups that maintained channel panning. But I'm a dreamer, I guess. And as I've said before, the 10dB loss on mixing in the subgroups kills that for me - I need to find new uses for my subgroups...lol
I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

MacBook Pro 13. OS X Mavericks - version 10.9.2
StudioLive 16.4.2; StudioLive 328AI (x2)
AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; FireStudio Project (x2)
Studio One 2 Pro 2.6.2 (64 bit)

[WWW]
creative69
Prenoob

First off this board is frustratingly good! Here's why....IT SOUNDS GREAT the workflow is good and it looks cool!
I wish that Presonus would make a studio board as I guess its aimed mostly at live users. There are still many of us with rooms full of keyboards and outboard so a mixing desk is still very much required. I have a SL 24 on demo at the moment as well as a Yamaha 01V96i
While the Yammie out does the SL in studio features there's something about the sound of the SL which keeps me interested. I too was hoping the Ai would be the deal clincher but alas it was not to be. Please Presonus make a STUDIO Board! The Ai has all that power and only reverb and delay effects!!!!! I don't necessarily want to use my DAW effects after all one of the reasons for a desk is to elevate / get-away from the computer. I'm guessing you could at least add a chorus effect through a software update. "Layers" yes for live users this may be a great omission but I want my analogue channels to run alongside my daw channels, "old school" I know, but no need to re-invent the wheel there.
Digital I/O so I can at least use my out board effects in the digital domain.
One more thing....Motorised faders yes I will pay for it so at least give us the option.

Come on guys this board could be a classic in the making!
mwright137
Presonoid
[Avatar]

I love reading posts twice because people think their post is so earth-shattering they copy and paste it to another thread...

AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; FireStudio Project (x2)

[WWW]
creative69
Prenoob

AHH you got me! but I got you too
creative69
Prenoob

mwright137 wrote:I love reading posts twice because people think their post is so earth-shattering they copy and paste it to another thread...

AHH you got me! but I got you too!
I need to up my post count or I may not be taken seriously.
salvadoredelle
Presonic
[Avatar]

I decided to not get the 3224... I already have the whole line od no AI series so there was not enough there for me to go that direction... I do love my studio live boards... and will keep them but the next board i get will have to be a lot more advanced with DAW control and moving faders and still sound good... the SL boards sound great but I like the MIDAS a lot too... I need to get hold of the Allen and Heath and try it out... SoundCraft too... I am hoping Presonus ends up going a little more high end in the upper tier of their consoles in the future while still offering this studio live type board and price point... there is a market for both...
Open Labs Sound Slate Pro Custom Music production PC ( windows i7 x64, SP1) 16GB RAM, Intel (R) Core (TM) i7CPU 870 @2.93 Ghz, x64 bit /
Open Labs Nikko XXL Windows XP Based master workstation / Presonus Firstudio Tube / Presonus Studio Live 24.4.2 (2) / Studio Live 1602 (1) / StudioLive 16.4.2 (1) w/ Mac mini and ipad / Capture / Protools / Ableton / Reaper / OMS / Studio One artists & pro / Midas Venue live mixers (3) / Sound Craft 24x8x2 analog live mixer / Various Meyer Sound systems Ultra Series Speakers / Protools Control 24 controller/mixer with Mac tower running protools. Tannoy SRM12B Studio Monitors (old school and still sound great!) Meyer HD1 studio Monitors.
Yamaha C7 Grand Piano w/ professional MIDI (NOT a disklavier player piano but a real MIDI interface on a real C7!)
tons of outboard gear and synths, MPC60, Kurzweil RM-250/PC88/ EmU E4 EX Turbo,
Spector NS2 Bass, ART Tube preAmp, Old Kay upright bass, G&L Strat /Taylor Acoustic Guitars, Mackie / QSC / JBL 4628B cabaret (Old School) / and Meyer ULTRA SERIES UPA/UPJ/UP-JUNIOR/UPM/UMS/MM4 Speakers are the best you can get!
gadget69
Presonificator
[Avatar]

Here your judged on the MERIT of your responses, not your thread count...A counts as much as a post that's 3 pages long...
NOTE: If your having an issue, open a tech support ticket and bring the number here if you want help!
http://support.presonus.com

Tools:
OHCI tool and Latency mon:
http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/11348.page

We, the few, that have done so much, for so long that now we can do everyything with nothing

dbx forum moderator

Lenova Ideapad Z565
Best connectivity Express card/firewire 2 port (400) that does NOT suggest having the TI chipset. (always worked great)
BYTECC Express card (400/800)07150358281

Asus/AMD processor tower. This setups just works on all firewire devices.

Belkin N450 dual band router, works with SL and Ai mixers
Studiolive 16:4:2
SL Ai24.4.2
ABUSB 1818VSL
Faderport
USB pre interface
Studio one Pro V2
LABsubs

loads of audio, and studio gear, and audiophile sound gear (gearslut)
[Email] [Yahoo!]
mwright137
Presonoid
[Avatar]

creative69 wrote:AHH you got me! but I got you too

I don't get it...

[WWW]
Jerryd
Presonic

bossman90 wrote:Sorry, but I just don't see the value in this new board. It only has 4 fx engines, no moving faders or recallable preamps. They should have went a different direction than the other boards because I really think they missed the boat. I decided to do it right and I went with the GLD-80. Hell, the new soundcraft board is a better choice than the 32AI. Don't get me wrong, I still love my 16.4.2

Bossman - that board isn't even in the ball park to the AI series price wise. Does it have 5,000.00 more features that he AI?

What the AI integration accomplishes is complete total control over every aspect of the system. If I want the left speaker turned up plus cut 60 Hz for example AND delay it.... it is a very easy fix from the iPad. You cannot do that with any other system.. At least not yet.

Out of board with mic cables to speakers done! I think it can even go wireless... No racks of amps that weigh hundreds of pounds no external crossovers, no piles of speaker cables...etc..

Very compact with minimal setup time... I don't know what venues you run at but I have very little time to get in and out and this AI setup makes all the sense in the world.

If I had a fixed install where I could leave everything and spent some time learning the room - I would like to have a 9,000.00 board too.

Some food for thought: The board can only get you so far... An optimized system that is tuned correctly is a good place to plug any board into. I guess everyone has their reason tho...
isteel4u
Presonic
[Avatar]

I think the AI and any StudioLive mixer is just as good as it gets for live. Haven't got the need for a studio mixer because I have a Roland VS 2480 in my little home studio and it does a great job.

It's sorta funny that not many talk about the biggest asset of the StudioLive, to me that is, is the wireless and or wired to a laptop for control of the mixer. I know that some other mixers do that but not like Presonus. No big old snake running thru the audience and you never have to touch the mixer and you can mix from anywhere in the house. Who cares if the faders move or not, I sure don't. I looked at other mixers but none had the configurations that Presonus offers and the smaller price tag. Another big asset of the mixer is an abundance of aux sends or monitor mixes. To get everything the Presonus offers in another mixer, you will have to fork out over $8000 bucks. By the way, the preamps in the 24.4.2. AI do sound great. Just sorta made our theater come alive.

The above opinions come from a 70 year old steel picker that has a Country Music show every Saturday night. Presonus has made my life much more simple. Sound man was sick one night and I just mixed from my IPad sitting beside me. How great was that?
[WWW]

Forum Index » StudioLive General Discussion
Go to: