image description

FireStudio Mobile will not sync with windows 7
  Forum Index » FireStudio Forum Community Support 
Author
Prenoob

I recently purchased a FireStudio Mobile, and it will not sync with Windows 7. I have already switched the driver to Legacy in the device manager, replaced my firewire cable, and I have downloaded the Windows 7 driver from the Presonus website. I have read all the forums and still cannot figure out what is going on. When I start Studio One it just says no Audio Device and when I select Presonus Firestudio it says that it did not start correctly. When I retry it gives me the same message again. Please help! I need this to work so I can record my band. Thanks!
hue
Presonic
[Avatar]

Well, my situation is better than yours but not by much. I get sync for long enough to do a session but sooner or later it loses sync. First of all, ,make absolute sure your Firewire card's chipset is compatible with your device. That means Texas Instruments or possibly VIA. Run the OCHI tool to find out if your chipset is compatible.

If you're compatible, I would do an uninstall universal control. Make sure your device is disconnected and reinstall Universal Control.

Here's a process that tech support offered. I hope it's ok to post here. Otherwise, please delete it or let me know and I'll delete it.

Let's start by manually uninstalling the drivers from your system and reinstalling them.

Just because Windows has the Add/Remove Programs feature it doesn't mean your application will appear in the list. Furthermore, even if it does appear, it's no guarantee that the uninstall feature will work.

*Be aware that these steps may not remove everything associated with the application and can impact other applications on the computer. Have a backup or restore point and use caution*

• First go to Start>>Control Panel>>Go to Programs and Features, find the drivers (your device and/or Universal Control) and remove.

• Next go to Start>>Computer>>Local Disk (C>>Program Files>>PreSonus and delete the device folder and/or the Universal Control folder. (It’s okay if it’s not there.)

• Go to Start>>Right click on Computer>>Select Properties>>Select Device Manager in the left column>>Go to Sound, Video and Game controllers. Find the PreSonus device, right click on it and uninstall.

Now we need to edit the system registry. First, disconnect your interface. (For the instructions below, "Go to" means click on the "+" sign next to the indicated file to expand its contents. You will only be working in the left-side window of the Registry Editor, please ignore the right window completely.)

• Go to Start. Type Run>>Type in regedit and click enter>>Go to H_KEY_LOCAL MACHINE>>System>>Current Control Set>>Enum>>1394>>right click and delete the PreSonus key. If it gives you an error, then right click again, select permissions, select Allow for Full Control. Click ok. Right click on the file again and delete.

• Next go to H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>>Software>>PreSonus>>right click and delete the Devices folder.

• Next go to H_KEY_CURRENT_USER>>Software>>PreSonus folder. If you see a folder with your device name, right click and delete it.

• To remove the application entry from Add/Remove Programs (if present), navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall>>PreSonus and right click and delete the device folder in the title and/or Universal Control folder.

• Some applications have Services attached to them. If this is the case, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services, locate and delete the service.

Exit the registry editor.

Now delete any PreSonus drivers you downloaded to your hard drive. Empty your recycle bin and restart your computer. After that, restart and reinstall the latest device drivers from our website:

http://www.presonus.com/technical-support/downloads/drivers-software/

After this, you should be good.

Elliot Easton: "(You make me feel so bad, I wish I was back sleeping in) The Testicles Of My Dad"- Renaming the song performed by Dan Alder @ Guitar Superstar 2010
[MSN]
Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

Hi hue,

Do you mind if I copy this post into the thread I'm working on over in PreSales? I'm trying to get all these kinds of things into one area and the ability to completely remove the driver from a computer may come in quite handy. You will be credited with its addition.

Let me know.
http://support.presonus.com

Tallest guy in the Mod Squad with all his hair still on his head.

No I'm not a freaking pilot!! The Air Force won't let me have a suit with a zipper...or sometimes shoestrings.

My advice and suggestions should never be considered advice or suggestions. These are mostly insane ramblings of a poor aircraft mechanic who can, strangely enough, still hear.

StudioLive 16.4.2, AudioBox 1818VSL, AudioBox 44VSL, Faderport, Digimax FS,, M-Audio Firewire 410
--MultiBoot System--
Win Vista 64/XP Pro/7 x86/7 x64 - Mac OSX Snow Leopard/Lion
Gigabyte motherboard--SYBA TI Firewire XIO2200A--i7 2600k Quad Core--16 GB DDR III--Custom 2U Rackmount--4 TB Raid (all internal SATA II)--19" Samsung HDMI LCD on pivoting VESA 1U Mount
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
hue
Presonic
[Avatar]

You should credit Brandon Hays from Tech Support.
Elliot Easton: "(You make me feel so bad, I wish I was back sleeping in) The Testicles Of My Dad"- Renaming the song performed by Dan Alder @ Guitar Superstar 2010
[MSN]
upfrontfungus
Prenoob

I followed your directions but when I go in to delete the device folder, it doesn't seem correct. It brings up a list of all my devices on my computer including my Akai and MidiSport Uno. I don't want to delete the devices folder and potentially remove all my devices. I looked up my Chipset online and I have a Gateway FX series laptop with a Mobile Intel® PM45 Chipset. It uses firewire mini 400, so I had to buy a 6 pin to 4 pin firewire cable. Do you think the cable is the problem? and is my Chipset compatible? The computer is almost brand new. Thanks for all your help!!!
hue
Presonic
[Avatar]

upfrontfungus wrote:I followed your directions but when I go in to delete the device folder, it doesn't seem correct. It brings up a list of all my devices on my computer including my Akai and MidiSport Uno. I don't want to delete the devices folder and potentially remove all my devices. I looked up my Chipset online and I have a Gateway FX series laptop with a Mobile Intel® PM45 Chipset. It uses firewire mini 400, so I had to buy a 6 pin to 4 pin firewire cable. Do you think the cable is the problem? and is my Chipset compatible? The computer is almost brand new. Thanks for all your help!!!
You don't want to delete anything that is NOT Presonus. If you found no Presonus folder, there is nothing to delete.
[MSN]
Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

Thanks hue,

I'm gonna throw it in and shoot Brandon a PM to let him know its in there.

No I'm not a freaking pilot!! The Air Force won't let me have a suit with a zipper...or sometimes shoestrings.

My advice and suggestions should never be considered advice or suggestions. These are mostly insane ramblings of a poor aircraft mechanic who can, strangely enough, still hear.

StudioLive 16.4.2, AudioBox 1818VSL, AudioBox 44VSL, Faderport, Digimax FS,, M-Audio Firewire 410
--MultiBoot System--
Gigabyte motherboard--SYBA TI Firewire XIO2200A--i7 2600k Quad Core--16 GB DDR III--Custom 2U Rackmount--4 TB Raid (all internal SATA II)--19" Samsung HDMI LCD on pivoting VESA 1U Mount
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
upfrontfungus
Prenoob

I followed you directions exactly and still it will not sync. My gateway p-6831fx with windows 7 is using a "mobile Intel PM965 express" chipset. Could the Intel chipset be my problem? I read that the Texas Instruments chipset along with windows vista on the p-6831fx works perfectly with FireStudio Mobile. I'm thinking about switching my OS back to vista so I can fix this issue, but I don't want to if my chipset is not compatible with FireStudio Mobile.
hue
Presonic
[Avatar]

The recommended chipset for most interfaces is Texas Instruments. Via based firewire cards are also compatible.
Did you run the OCHI tool? Click the link

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 20/09/2010 05:51:45

[MSN]
Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

Did you run the OHCI tester? If so can you post the results for us please?

I'm trying to catch up on missed threads...informtion overload if you will...so let me read back through and maybe we can come up with something new.

--MultiBoot System--
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

Give this a shot. Microsoft has a new driver for firewire in W7. You can find a link to get to it in this thread. Might do the trick.

Also from what I read over on Gateway the chipset you mentioned is the motherboard chipset and not the firewire. You're gonna need to run the OHCI tool. It's simple and painless...I promise. Copy and paste the results in a post if you would be so kind. I don't think its the problem because you were working in Vista if I read you correctly but at this point we need to be sure.

--MultiBoot System--
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
upfrontfungus
Prenoob

I hooked up my FireStudio last night to my desktop with XP and it worked fine. But I still need it to work on my laptop. The results I got after I ran the OHCI tool were:

Microsoft 1394ohci.sys [6.1.7600.16385]
Microsoft ohci1394.sys [6.1.7600.16385] (legacy)
Microsoft 1394bus.sys [6.1.7600.16385] (legacy)

Looking for OHCI 1394 Host Controllers...

1:
Vendor : (11C1) LSI (Agere, Lucent)
Chipset: (5811) FW321/FW322/FW323
Revision: 70
Max 1394 Speed Capability: S400
Support: Compatible, no known issues.

Done.

Let me know if this has any useful information. Thanks!!
upfrontfungus
Prenoob

Also where can i find the new firewire driver for windows 7 in the thread? I would like to download it and give it a try.
upfrontfungus
Prenoob

Ok so I just sat on hold for 45 minutes for tech support to tell me that my Firewire port is sharing its IRQ with 4 devices. He said that the only way to fix the issue was to dedicate my Firewire port to only one IRQ. Does anyone know how to do this? He couldn't even begin to tell me what to do to fix it. It's upsetting that I had to register the product just to speak with a customer service "pro" who can't even help me, and now that the product is registered Guitar Center will not let me return it. I heard good reviews on this product, but it does not work on my brand new $1200 laptop. I'm not an idiot when it comes to computers, but maybe Presonus should put on the box information regarding the IRQ sharing and that tech support is only offered to registered customers so that people do not get stuck with a $300 product that doesn't easily install on a good quality computer. Just a thought. Still Thank you for your online support! Not trying to offend anyone, I'm just venting.
upfrontfungus
Prenoob

OK here is what I did to FIX the SYNC PROBLEM. I've only spent about a month researching stuff, waiting for the day I throw the interface out a window (since nobody at Presonus can tell me what to do to troubleshoot the f*ing product!!!) I was stuck with the interface which I'm sure many other people are as well... So I had to find a solution myself and now I will share it. Since I purchased the FireStudio Mobile interface a month ago it has not been able to sync with my Windows 7. They told me to all this stuff... I tried changing it to legacy, removing and reinstalling new drivers, blah blah blah. NONE of these stupid suggestions work. Finally after sitting on hold for 45 minutes I was told I need a dedicated IRQ to make the interface work. Since there is no way to do that with windows 7 I had to figure out how to get a dedicated IRQ without reinstalling everything. Finally I decided to man-up and order a Firewire 800 PCI card for my laptop and also use a Firewire 9 pin to 6 pin cable to connect it. I first had to install the driver for my PCI card, then I removed and reinstalled the Universal Control driver for the FireStudio Mobile and it worked immediately!!! heres a big F YOU!!! to TECH SUPPORT, here's your sync problem solution so I hope you read this!

I'll give you a couple tips so you don't wind up doing something stupid like ordering useless stuff:

- I bought a SIIG PCI express 54 with Firewire 1394a (400) and Firewire 1394b (800) inputs on Amazon.com for $45 I'm sure other
brands work, but if you are as fed up as I was just order the SIIG it works.
- Order an AC adapter for your card because it will not be able to bus power anything if you don't and you will have to plug/unplug the
interface via AC Adapter every time you want to use it or turn it off. Get it at Amazon - $20
- Next I ordered a 9 pin to 6 pin Firewire cable (this is not neccessary it works fine with regular Firewire 400 cable) I just wanted to
use the fastest i could to eliminate any potential latency.
- Make sure you find out what size your PCI/PCIE slot is before you order... Every computer uses different sized slots... 32",54", etc.
- Don't register the interface just to talk to tech support until you get it synced, or you cannot return it and you will get stuck with it
like me.

Hopefully this will work for you as well as it did me. I have had no problems with the interface since I bought the card, I just figured I'd share so others wouldn't waste there time trying to contact tech support.

Forum Index » FireStudio Forum Community Support
Go to: