image description

Daisy Chaining Questions
  Forum Index » 16.4.2 
Author
Prenoob

Hello, first time posting on this forum,

I run sound for a local theatre company and am currently running a Mackie Onyx 1640i Mixer using Multirack on a Macbook Pro. I need more channels though and doing some research I think I want to get two SL16.4.2 and chain them together. I do have a couple questions though. When I chain two boards together will it show up as one board (or 32 channels) into multirack? Also, I understand that SL's can use an iPad wireless to mix. Will I have all 32 channels and Auxs if I choose to use an iPad?

Thanks,
Justin
Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

Hi Justin and welcome to the family.

First answer, yes. MultiRack uses ASIO and Core Audio for it's I/O and will see all available inputs and outputs.

Second answer, not really. You will only have the 6 Auxes. They do not merge. And the iPad will see two 16 channel mixers because of how thwy address themselves. There is no way around either.
http://support.presonus.com

Tallest guy in the Mod Squad with all his hair still on his head.

No I'm not a freaking pilot!! The Air Force won't let me have a suit with a zipper...or sometimes shoestrings.

My advice and suggestions should never be considered advice or suggestions. These are mostly insane ramblings of a poor aircraft mechanic who can, strangely enough, still hear.

StudioLive 16.4.2, AudioBox 1818VSL, AudioBox 44VSL, Faderport, Digimax FS,, M-Audio Firewire 410
--MultiBoot System--
Win Vista 64/XP Pro/7 x86/7 x64 - Mac OSX Snow Leopard/Lion
Gigabyte motherboard--SYBA TI Firewire XIO2200A--i7 2600k Quad Core--16 GB DDR III--Custom 2U Rackmount--4 TB Raid (all internal SATA II)--19" Samsung HDMI LCD on pivoting VESA 1U Mount
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
EscapeFate
Prenoob

Thank you for the quick response. I have been looking for a way to get a 32 channel mixer into Multirack and my two options were daisy chaining the SL16 or Daisy Chain Mackie Onyx 1640i (Which to be honest I do not even know if using 2 Mackie Onyx 1640i's work). I'm using one Macke at the moment and am not too impressed with the performance of it so I thought I would try out the PreSonus. And it seems like that is the choice i will go with! Again, thanks for the response.

Justin

EDIT:
One last question, reading some posts on this forum it seems like people are having 'freezing' issues and such with these mixers. It is just a fault on their end with how they are setting them up? Or it is a common fault with the product. I really want to go with the PreSonus 16.4.2 Daisy Chained mixers but I need something that is reliable. Any insight on if it is just setup? Or is their a problem with the board once in awhile with freezing issues.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/12/2012 19:15:36

Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

I would attribute most of it to wear, tear, and age. But it does happen, it can happen with any digital mixer, but is not a defect or operator error when properly connected.

Also consider that the majority of folks who post have had this problem once and often others are just adding in to show that they are sympathetic to the problem and have possibly experienced it themselves.

This mixer is just as reliable as any digital mixer. I trust it but I carry a backup. I'd recommend the same to anyone.
http://support.presonus.com

Tallest guy in the Mod Squad with all his hair still on his head.

No I'm not a freaking pilot!! The Air Force won't let me have a suit with a zipper...or sometimes shoestrings.

My advice and suggestions should never be considered advice or suggestions. These are mostly insane ramblings of a poor aircraft mechanic who can, strangely enough, still hear.

StudioLive 16.4.2, AudioBox 1818VSL, AudioBox 44VSL, Faderport, Digimax FS,, M-Audio Firewire 410
--MultiBoot System--
Win Vista 64/XP Pro/7 x86/7 x64 - Mac OSX Snow Leopard/Lion
Gigabyte motherboard--SYBA TI Firewire XIO2200A--i7 2600k Quad Core--16 GB DDR III--Custom 2U Rackmount--4 TB Raid (all internal SATA II)--19" Samsung HDMI LCD on pivoting VESA 1U Mount
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
after5cst
Prenoob

We recently bought and installed a 16.4.2 x2 linked setup.

Early problems have mostly been the human factor, but I can tell you that we've had several issues with the slave board not sending audio to the master board on power up. Cycling the power (one or more times) seems to solve the issue, but I'm still a little concerned about the problem.

The symptom is the board comes up, looks good, levels are there, but no output on the mains and the solo bus (on the master) can't "hear" the channels. We have a strict power-up order:

1) Right (master) board
2) Left (slave) board
3) Computer
4) Amps

The sound guys are now paranoid enough that they wait 1-2 minutes between #1 and #2, but I'm not convinced there's not something else in play. Even so, when we managed to sell the old mixer I had no hesitation in boxing it up and sending it off to the new home: the Presonus once we get it working works well.

As far as software, the recording software that comes with the Presonus sees all 32 channels together for recording, and it's easy enough to use Capture to grab the raw data. The IPad software (UC) reports the two boards separately, but they can be connected to add adjusted easily enough.

That was annoying with 1.6 since the labels wouldn't be saved and the boards couldn't be deciphered without connecting to them and seeing what settings they had (compared to the actual boards), but with 1.7 the labels are saved just fine and I can see the mixer list (Left and Right mixer) and connect to the one I want to use.

It's not ideal, but I knew that going in. It's a shame their software can't do a better job of hiding the two separate units, since the PC is doing the routing anyway and is the only thing that "knows" there are two physical objects on the FW bus.

Forum Index » 16.4.2
Go to: