image description

My advice: do not buy the 1818vsl, compatibility / service issues
  Forum Index » AudioBox VSL 1818 
Author
Presonic
[Avatar]

How can a company lie so blatantly?

One of the reason I bought the 1818vsl was on Presonus' compatibility page stating:
Supported in Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion):
AudioBox™ Series

Device driver 1.2.1 is compatible with the following devices:
AudioBox USB
AudioBox 22VSL
AudioBox 44VSL
AudioBox 1818VSL

http://www.presonus.com/news/press_releases/Mac-OS-X-108-Mountain-Lion-Compatibility-Statement

And yet, after having ALL the problems that are related in this forum, one spokesperson for Presonus (because as I see it, none of Presonus' representatives are willing to talk to their customers and come so low as to actually have a presence in this forum) said:

"Mountain Lion release has caused a lot of problems for us and we are trying to get it fixed."

So how can a company mention that it is 10.8 compatible when it is obviously the opposite?

Reading along, Presonus mentions that it is Windows 7 and 8 compatible:
Supported in Windows 8:
AudioBox™ Series

Device driver 1.2.5194 is compatible with the following devices:
AudioBox USB
AudioBox 22VSL
AudioBox 44VSL
AudioBox 1818VSL

http://www.presonus.com/news/press_releases/Windows-8-Compatibility-Statement-for-PreSonus-Products

Again, reading from users on the Windows platform, you can clearly see that it is not the case and another lie.

One mentions that his unit has been in a closet for 6 months, waiting for drivers that would make it useful. 6 months!
Again, a nice example of a company releasing an unfinished and untried product just because it looks cool. That is so 1980.

So, unless Presonus drivers move from vaporware to actually software that works and offer some kind of customer service, I suggest you look somewhere else for your interface needs.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/12/2012 04:33:00

MacBookPro 15" late 2009, 2.4mHz, 8G RAM
OS X 10.9, 10.8, 10.7

Presonus 1818vsl (1.2.2 not beta anymore but still sketchy),
Yamaha mixer
Art USB Dual Pre
Samson, Blue mics

Logic Pro, Reaper, S1 Pro (can't use it in my case because of a lack in MIDI support)
Yamaha DXT700
Superior Drummer, Addictive Drums, Drumic'a!
cristofe
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Sorry you can't figure out how to make your 1818 work. Yes, it can stand SOME improvement. Yes, there are SOME users in both the Win & Mac camps that can't seem make it work properly...BUT...there are MANY more of us that use our 22's 44's & 1818's every day. I use my 1818 on both Win7 & Win8 machines and there are many users of both Lion & Mountain Lion that have theirs working as well. LIE is very strong word. If NONE of us could make our interfaces work you would be well justified in using it. YOUR use of it borders on slander.

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon Processors, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2
HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz Processor, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro
HP Compaq NC6320 Laptop Intel Core2Duo 2.0Ghz Processor 3GB RAM Win7 Ult
Dell Latitude E4310 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz Processor 4GB RAM Win7 Pro x32

Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & FP10 Firewire, Steinberg MI4 USB, Line 6 Toneport GX & PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's

DAWS/VST Hosts: S1 Professional, Plogue Bidule, Xlutop Chainer, Sieb VSTHost & Savihost

Hardware Synthesizers: Roland SH-32 & XV-3080 RedSound Darkstar XP2, Novation X-Station, Yamaha AN200, M-Audio Venom

Hardware Controllers: JL Cooper CS-10 Control Surface, Yamaha EZ-EG, Dillion Les Paul style acoustic electric guitar with Roland GK-3 pickup and GI-20 converter.

The Rest: Guitars, Amps, Stompboxes, Mics, Outboard Gear, VST plugins...too much to list!
[WWW]
perceval
Presonic
[Avatar]

Yes, it CAN be used WITHOUT Presonus drivers, WITHOUT all the great options that are HYPED so much in the ads.

If you read my first post, Presonus says that the DRIVERS are COMPATIBLE with 10.8... I never talked about the unit in itself.

I also go it working (with some hiccups here and there) using the Mac OS drivers.

You assumed that I was talking about the box itself? Well, it's kind of a package deal when it comes to audio interfaces, is it not?

My beef is that Presonus maintains that their DRIVERS are up-to-date... and a short read along this forum and around the web (Gearslutz, etc..) shows it is not the case.

I stand by MY use of it, and wasn't it you who just wrote yesterday:
http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/29518.page

cristofe comment:

"My situation is the opposite.....I bought my 1818 because I wanted a simple USB multitrack recording interface.
The sales rep pushed it on me citing the wonders of VSL. With a great deal of effort, tearing of hair and gnashing of teeth
I managed to get it working. But, as far as I'm concerned, until the 1818 can be EASILY used as JUST a simple USB
multitrack recording interface then it has missed the mark. Most other manufacturers release SEPARATE drivers and
control software. IMHO its the VSL software,(and hopefully not also hardware design problems), that has caused so
many problems to so many users. That's why I've been begging PreSonus for months to release the drivers and VSL
software as SEPARATE installs. At this point I've seen quite a few Mac users abandoning the Presonus VSL/driver
package altogether and just using Mac core audio to run their 1818's. That's fine for them but it doesn't help the
many pc users with these issues. C'mon Presonus....separate the VSL software and the drivers!!"

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 03/12/2012 06:45:56

OS X 10.9, 10.8, 10.7

Yamaha mixer
Art USB Dual Pre
Samson, Blue mics

Logic Pro, Reaper, S1 Pro (can't use it in my case because of a lack in MIDI support)
Yamaha DXT700
Jeff Budz
Prenoob

I think maybe Christophe has started being paid like Monoguy to present 1818 in the best possible light. For months he has been one of the biggest complainers and now has done a 180.

Of course, as Christophe says, it's our fault; we can't figure out how to make it work. That statement angers me immensely, but I need to remain calm on this forum. My 1818 works, mostly, but does not deliver all of the functions it claimed, and it requires a lot of workaround. For instance, I can't use the VSL mixer and record to a DAW at the same time, the DAW gets pops-n-clicks. Also, it just stops outputting audio randomly as other Mac users have reported. On two different Macs. Probably my fault. I'm stupid. Got it. Thanks Christophe. Thanks Presonus.
Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

Directly @ Jeff Budz

For the record...I do not now nor have I ever received any form of payment from Presonus for my contributions to this forum. I prefer to be part of the solution if possible. Or, at least, use the contact I have with the company to ensure information (like your 1818 issues) is put in the hands of people who can use it. I canot say for certain but I would put a dollar against a dime that Christofe has received no form of payment from Presonus either.

I ask respectfully that you verify your facts when referring to others on this forum. I spend my time here to pass what information I have been alowed to share, help others, and make this a better community. Christofe has been a strong contributor as well.

All I can say is give it time. The drivers and your issues are being worked.

I have promised that if I have pertinent and releaseable information on these interfaces in reference to these problems that I will release it immediately. I've never given anyone reason to question my integrity and I do not intend to let that start today.
http://support.presonus.com

Tallest guy in the Mod Squad with all his hair still on his head.

No I'm not a freaking pilot!! The Air Force won't let me have a suit with a zipper...or sometimes shoestrings.

My advice and suggestions should never be considered advice or suggestions. These are mostly insane ramblings of a poor aircraft mechanic who can, strangely enough, still hear.

StudioLive 16.4.2, AudioBox 1818VSL, AudioBox 44VSL, Faderport, Digimax FS,, M-Audio Firewire 410
--MultiBoot System--
Win Vista 64/XP Pro/7 x86/7 x64 - Mac OSX Snow Leopard/Lion
Gigabyte motherboard--SYBA TI Firewire XIO2200A--i7 2600k Quad Core--16 GB DDR III--Custom 2U Rackmount--4 TB Raid (all internal SATA II)--19" Samsung HDMI LCD on pivoting VESA 1U Mount
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
cristofe
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Of course, as Christophe says, it's our fault; we can't figure out how to make it work.

First of all......my name is Cristofe.

Secondly:

DON"T put words in my mouth. I NEVER said it was anyone's FAULT. What I said was that I am sorry
that some users could not get it working on their systems. I was merely pointing out that MANY users
myself, included, have BOTH the hardware AND the software working on Win8, Win7, Lion AND
Mountain Lion. So to claim that Personus is LYING about compatibilty is just wrong.Yes, there are
some issues for some users. For instance some COMPUTERS don't work well with this series due to
their chipsets. I've had such problems myself with interfaces from OTHER manufacturers. Do I blame them?
NO I DO NOT!! Can you imagine how complicated it must be to create hardware AND software that's compatible
with ALL OS's AND ALL PC's......I can't. Presonus has stated compatibilty with all current OS. That statement is true.
There are MANY users to back that up. The trouble is that on these forums all you hear about are the problems.
And if one of us reports success we get accused of being on the company payroll. NO ONE on these forums is getting
paid for the huge amount of time some us spend trying to help angry and often ungrateful users.

Furthermore, I DO NOT attempt to "present 1818 in the best possible light" and I have NOT done a 180
as Perceval pointed out I JUST posted this:

"My situation is the opposite.....I bought my 1818 because I wanted a simple USB multitrack recording interface.
The sales rep pushed it on me citing the wonders of VSL. With a great deal of effort, tearing of hair and gnashing of teeth
I managed to get it working. But, as far as I'm concerned, until the 1818 can be EASILY used as JUST a simple USB
multitrack recording interface then it has missed the mark. Most other manufacturers release SEPARATE drivers and
control software. IMHO its the VSL software,(and hopefully not also hardware design problems), that has caused so
many problems to so many users. That's why I've been begging PreSonus for months to release the drivers and VSL
software as SEPARATE installs. At this point I've seen quite a few Mac users abandoning the Presonus VSL/driver
package altogether and just using Mac core audio to run their 1818's. That's fine for them but it doesn't help the
many pc users with these issues. C'mon Presonus....separate the VSL software and the drivers!!"

As Mono pointed out you need to get your facts straight before you start making angry and FALSE accusations against
Presonus or any of the individuals who devote so much time and effort WITHOUT ANY TYPE OF COMPENSATION
trying to help those of you that are not able to get up and running. I know it is frustrating to buy a $500 interface and
have to do more than simply install the drivers plug it in to get it to work. I know because I was one of those frustrated
users. AND, as I posted YESTERDAY.......I STILL AM!! There is still plenty of room for improvement in this series.

BUT......The FACTS are that:

1) Presonus has made NO false claims.

2) Users with serious issues are a MINORITY.

3) NO members of this forum are getting paid to help you.

4) Presonus is working hard to resolve any issues and
generally improve this series. Their reputation depends
on it.

Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & FP10 Firewire, Steinberg MI4 USB, Line 6 Toneport GX & PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

DAWS/VST Hosts: S1 Professional, Plogue Bidule, Xlutop Chainer, Sieb VSTHost & Savihost

Hardware Synthesizers: Roland SH-32 & XV-3080 RedSound Darkstar XP2, Novation X-Station, Yamaha AN200, M-Audio Venom

Hardware Controllers: JL Cooper CS-10 Control Surface, Yamaha EZ-EG, Dillion Les Paul style acoustic electric guitar with Roland GK-3 pickup and GI-20 converter.

The Rest: Guitars, Amps, Stompboxes, Mics, Outboard Gear, VST plugins...too much to list!
[WWW]
perceval
Presonic
[Avatar]

Monolithent ,

If being on the beta team makes you feel like you owe some of responsibilities toward Presonus, I can respect that. I would probably do the same.

But all I see is you keep posting the same replies about known issues and that they are "being worked on". For over 6 months now...

It's kinda like saying "the check is in the mail". After a few times, people stop believing.

It's a bad spot being stuck in the middle. You see all the posts/complaints made by users, and there's pretty much no help from the top.

If anything, Presonus SHOULD pay you for trying to save their rep. Dedicated people are hard to find these days....
OS X 10.9, 10.8, 10.7

Yamaha mixer
Art USB Dual Pre
Samson, Blue mics

Yamaha DXT700
Gizzmo0815
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Being on the beta team doesn't necessitate any loyalty to Presonus. In fact, Presonus expects the beta testers to be the most honest about the software. So beta testers are routinely Presonus' most critical critics.

The fact of the matter is you're having some difficulty with YOUR system, and you want to make it Presonus' fault. When the most useful thing you could have done is simply post your specs, your equipment and a request for help from the many individuals here who do just that on a regular basis.

Falsely accusing the people who are most likely to help you of "being on the payroll" and falsely accusing the company that designed the software/hardware you're attempting to use of fraud on their forums is a backwards approach.

Try again with a more reasoned perspective and see what happens.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/12/2012 18:11:07

Computer: Lenovo y560, 2.0 GHz quad core, 8 gb RAM, Win 7 (x64)
Presonus "Stuff": Studio One Pro, Presonus Firestudio Mobile, Studiolive 16.0.2, Faderport
Blue Beagle Music
My Blog
[WWW]
cristofe
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Gizzmo0815 wrote:Being on the beta team doesn't necessitate any loyalty to Presonus. In fact, Presonus expects the beta testers to be the most honest about the software. So beta testers are routinely Presonus' most critical critics.

The fact of the matter is you're having some difficulty with YOUR system, and you want to make it Presonus' fault. When the most useful thing you could have done is simply post your specs, your equipment and a request for help from the many individuals here who do just that on a regular basis.

Falsely accusing the people who are most likely to help you of "being on the payroll" and falsely accusing the company that designed the software/hardware you're attempting to use of fraud on their forums is a backwards approach.

Try again with a more reasoned perspective and see what happens.

Right on....right on!!

[WWW]
roblof
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Gizzmo0815 wrote:Being on the beta team doesn't necessitate any loyalty to Presonus. In fact, Presonus expects the beta testers to be the most honest about the software. So beta testers are routinely Presonus' most critical critics.

Well, presonus can put you outside the circle of trust if you are being too honest...
Behringer x32, x32-rack, s16 stagebox, p16 monitor system, StudioLive 24, FirePod 10, Alesis HD24, M-Audio FastTrack Pro, Studio One Pro v2, NI Komplete 5-8 Ultimate, Cubase 4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, Reaper 4, misc Line6 gear/software, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Yamaha 02r.....
Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

perceval wrote:Monolithent ,

If being on the beta team makes you feel like you owe some of responsibilities toward Presonus, I can respect that. I would probably do the same.

But all I see is you keep posting the same replies about known issues and that they are "being worked on". For over 6 months now...

It's kinda like saying "the check is in the mail". After a few times, people stop believing.

It's a bad spot being stuck in the middle. You see all the posts/complaints made by users, and there's pretty much no help from the top.

If anything, Presonus SHOULD pay you for trying to save their rep. Dedicated people are hard to find these days....

Thank you for your candor with this posting. And may I say, that if it were just the beta team that caused my activity here then it would be greatly unbalanced.

I am here because I am useful and I strive to always be useful. Even if it is to impart information that some may not find useful. I also feel that it is my duty to give back to those that have given to me. I still remember being the guy who didn't know what the heck he was doing and this community helped me.

I cannot argue Presonus' policy. They will not say anthing until it is a guarantee that it will be released. I've seen what happens when it comes too early. Ask some of the folks over in the M-Audio forum about the vista 64 drivers. I think that took them nearly a year to create. But they made the mistake of saying that the would have it by a certain date and then the date came and went with no drivers. Several times. It just makes people more angry to have wrong data than no data at all.

I also understand about the check is in the mail feeling. I don't think anyone spends as much time in this forum as I do. I'm amazed I can get anything done. And to see these threads over and over emphasizes that feeling. But I write what I am allowed to write. If I had more information that I could share I would more than gladly give it to you.

When I say that they are working on it, you can take that as gospel.

When I say that it is one of their highest priorities, then that is gospel too.

Please don't misunderstand. I'd love the extra income. But I have a loyalty and was asked by a friend to help so the developers had more hands on deck. And that is enough for me. I think my reputation carries enough weight around here to at least have people believe when I say that Presonus has our best interests at the core of their focus. They know that without us, they are not in business.

I will say this again. This is one of their highest priorities and they are working on it.

BTW sorry for mispelling your name Cristofe. I'll get this right eventually.
http://support.presonus.com

Tallest guy in the Mod Squad with all his hair still on his head.

No I'm not a freaking pilot!! The Air Force won't let me have a suit with a zipper...or sometimes shoestrings.

My advice and suggestions should never be considered advice or suggestions. These are mostly insane ramblings of a poor aircraft mechanic who can, strangely enough, still hear.

StudioLive 16.4.2, AudioBox 1818VSL, AudioBox 44VSL, Faderport, Digimax FS,, M-Audio Firewire 410
--MultiBoot System--
Win Vista 64/XP Pro/7 x86/7 x64 - Mac OSX Snow Leopard/Lion
Gigabyte motherboard--SYBA TI Firewire XIO2200A--i7 2600k Quad Core--16 GB DDR III--Custom 2U Rackmount--4 TB Raid (all internal SATA II)--19" Samsung HDMI LCD on pivoting VESA 1U Mount
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
cristofe
Presonoid
[Avatar]

VERY well said and directly to the point as always! And no worries....you got the spelling closer than Jeff did!
......and you should see how folks mangle my last name!!

[WWW]
Jason.Harris
Presonoid

Perceval,

I have initiated a support ticket for you since none was found. Please check your email. I would be more than happy to offer my assistance in troubleshooting your issues. There may be something in your system configuration that could be tweaked to offer you a better experience with the 1818 or even solve your issues completely!

Thanks,

Jason

Texas Willie
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Jason.Harris wrote:Perceval,

I have initiated a support ticket for you since none was found. Please check your email. I would be more than happy to offer my assistance in troubleshooting your issues. There may be something in your system configuration that could be tweaked to offer you a better experience with the 1818 or even solve your issues completely!

Thanks,

Jason

What the hell are you doing Jason!??!? Everyone knows that PreSonus employees are never active on the forum and GOD FORBID, they would never offer to help someone who is so respectfully asking for help.

TW
PreSonus FireStudio Mobile x 2
Studio One Pro DAW v2.6
Yamaha DGX 220 Keyboard
Yamaha DTXplorer Drums
Akai MPK49 Midi Controller
M-Audio Axiom 25 Midi Controller
Boss BR-600 Digital Recorder
Guitar Rig Kontrol Pedal Board
Native Instruments Komplete 9
Epiphone Wildcat Semi-Hollow A/E
Breedlove Custom Studio A/E Guitar
Fender 12 String Acoustic/Electric
Fender American Stratocaster
TC-Helicon Harmony G
Sennheiser HD280 Pro Headphones

Windows 8 x64, SIIG PCIe DP Firewire 800 3 port card.

MacBook Pro OSX 10.6.8

AMD Phenom 9650 Quad Core 2.30 GHz; 8 GB Ram
Samsung 840 EVO 500Gb SSD-For O/S and Programs
Western Digital 1TB HDD x 2
Western Digital 1.5 TB HDD
[WWW]
perceval
Presonic
[Avatar]

Well, I wanted to "open a support ticket" as I had seen in some posts, but searching high and low in the forum, I couldn't find it.

Of course, stepping back and going back to the main site, I just saw a link to ask for support.

My bad.
OS X 10.9, 10.8, 10.7

Yamaha mixer
Art USB Dual Pre
Samson, Blue mics

Yamaha DXT700

Forum Index » AudioBox VSL 1818
Go to: