image description

Is my AudioBox USB using an ASIO driver?
  Forum Index » AudioBox USB 
Author
Prenoob

So, I just got an AudioBox USB, installed the latest 1.2 driver, and also installed the Studio One 2 and Native Instruments package including Guitar Rig 4 that came with it. I'm a little out of touch since my previous MIDI composing days, so forgive me if I'm missing something.

I found that I'm getting quite a bit of lag between pressing a key on my MIDI keyboard and it playing back and based on other things I've read, I'm wondering if the AudioBox is installed properly. I also get the impression that an ASIO driver is supposed to be in play somewhere and that it should be used instead of the normal DirectSound interface. Is there anyway to tell what driver is being used in Windows XP SP3 and/or one of the software packages I've installed?

If I go into Windows audio, I just see a generic USB Audio Input and USB Audio Output. I perhaps would have expected to see the AudioBox USB mentioned by name, but perhaps this is normal.

If I go into Guitar Rig 4 and the Audio and MIDI Settings and always see DirectSound as the driver and again a generic USB Audio Input and USB Audio Output, but looking at its getting started manual, I would have expected the extra ASIO configuration.

Anyway, what do you think? How can I tell it is installed correctly? I did a quick test and it seems to record ok, but not sure if the lag will make or break the usability of the device for me going forward.

Cheers -- Tim.
timrbetts
Prenoob

Oh, I forgot to mention. Also, when I go into Studio One, I see Windows Audio as the device. If I then click on Control Panel button next to it, I can see choices for recording and playback, again with USB Audio Input and USB Audio Output.

For some reason, I would have expected to see my Presonus AudioBox USB as my Audio Device, but perhaps what I'm seeing is also the norm.

Thanks for any feedback, verification, or advice on my two posts.

Cheers -- Tim.
timrbetts
Prenoob

I'll continue my schizophrenic trend here and just say that my problems were solved by installing the ASIOforALL drivers. Thanks to all the other posters that mentioned those drivers. I now get no noticeable lag in MIDI control, can switch inputs/outputs easily, and record in great quality. I'm very disappointed in AudioBox for their poor initial drivers, but I'm very happy thanks to ASIO for ALL!
cristofe
Presonoid
[Avatar]

I'm very disappointed in AudioBox for their poor initial drivers

The 1.2 drivers work fine......IF they are installed properly.

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon Processors, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2
HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz Processor, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro
HP Compaq NC6320 Laptop Intel Core2Duo 2.0Ghz Processor 3GB RAM Win7 Ult
Dell Latitude E4310 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz Processor 4GB RAM Win7 Pro x32

Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & FP10 Firewire, Steinberg MI4 USB, Line 6 Toneport GX & PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's

DAWS/VST Hosts: S1 Professional, Plogue Bidule, Xlutop Chainer, Sieb VSTHost & Savihost

Hardware Synthesizers: Roland SH-32 & XV-3080 RedSound Darkstar XP2, Novation X-Station, Yamaha AN200, M-Audio Venom

Hardware Controllers: JL Cooper CS-10 Control Surface, Yamaha EZ-EG, Dillion Les Paul style acoustic electric guitar with Roland GK-3 pickup and GI-20 converter.

The Rest: Guitars, Amps, Stompboxes, Mics, Outboard Gear, VST plugins...too much to list!
[WWW]
PhilG
Presonoid
[Avatar]

you need to change the buffer settings for lower latency

2 x SL16.4.2's
Audiobox USB
Studio One V2 Pro
/ Rack System
AMD FX-4170 / 16GB DDR3 / Win7x64 / Via 6308FW Onboard
/Mobile System
Toshiba Satellite P200 / 8GB DDR2 / Win7x64 / Ti FW & i7 13" MBP