image description

Studio One 2 Pro vs Cubase 6?
  Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion 
Author
Prenoob

About a month ago I purchased the Presonus 16.4.2. I am comfortable with the board and with capture. A friend offered to loan/give me Cubase 6. I am fairly new to computer based recording as I have worked with a Roland VS 2480dvd for the last 7 years. I imagine that studio one is a little more user friendly; although, I don't know. Any ideas? I record mainly live bands. 12+ tracks. I do have a small studio with isolation booths, drum room, etc. The money to purchase Studio One is not an option if will effectively do the tasks needed and is a quality DAW.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 31/07/2012 05:09:34

themuzic
Baconator
[Avatar]

Oh Studio One all the way. It's a far better DAW and Cubase doesn't even come close.

Now, more seriously, did you really expect an UN-biased opinion in the Studio One forums? But the truth is, both DAWs will do the job for you and give you top quality results. Weather it's easy or sounds better is really your call and you'll need to use both Demos to really make a decision.

Studio one is easier to learn IF you are coming from another DAW. If you're just starting out, the learning curve between Cubase and Studio One is very similar. I have used Cubase for 4 years and Studio one for the last 2 years and that my opinion.

Strangely enough, I came from the VS-2480 also and it was a tough switch.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 31/07/2012 22:21:06

http://www.homestudiotrainer.webs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/themuzic
Email - homestudiotrainer@yahoo.com
Skype - themuzic
Phone - 773-303-7260
I offer FREE assistance for Studio One (any version) and Presonus hardware, to anyone having issues or anyone who simply wants to learn

Gateway Tower - Intel Core i5 3330 CPU 3GHz 8GB Ram and 64bit Windows 8
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!]
emrahcelik
Presonic
[Avatar]

Studio one is better when it comes to headroom and sound quality. Also it easier and faster than cubase. But cubase has more poweful tools like synths, fxs midi fxs etc.
Macbook pro 2011 (earlier)
OSX Always Latest
8 gb ram
750gb HDD 7200RPM
Focusrite saffire pro 24 DSP VRM
Studio one pro V2 Always Latest Version
Yamaha KX 49
Korg Nanopad2
Adam Audio A7 Monitors
Audio Technica ATH-M50
AKG K271 Studio
Sennheiser Momentum

http://soundcloud.com/emrahcelik
SloobyJane
Prenoob

I agree with emrahcelik, I've been on Studio One Pro 2 since July and it's a 'fun' learning curve if you'd call it that, I've barely cracked the manual open, everything seems easier.

With Cubase you can set up a more elaborate setup (Virtual Studio, etc.) and there are a few things that Cubase has that Studio One doesn't (yet).

The sound does seem a little cleaner but it could just be me with new software & all.

Loads faster than Cubase. I'm on Cubase 6.07 now (I took the $50 they wanted to upgrade to Cubase 6.5 and used it towards Studio One).
Studio One 2.06 (since July 5th 2012) | Cubase 6.05 (since 2006) | Win7 x64 i7 8GB build | 49SL MkII | Komplete 7 | more other stuff...

SOP2 MIA > Track record VST audio / Channel 'Listen' button / Virtual Studio...

shanabit
Presonic
[Avatar]

adamgambrell wrote:About a month ago I purchased the Presonus 16.4.2. I am comfortable with the board and with capture. A friend offered to loan/give me Cubase 6. I am fairly new to computer based recording as I have worked with a Roland VS 2480dvd for the last 7 years. I imagine that studio one is a little more user friendly; although, I don't know. Any ideas? I record mainly live bands. 12+ tracks. I do have a small studio with isolation booths, drum room, etc. The money to purchase Studio One is not an option if will effectively do the tasks needed and is a quality DAW.

My history:
1. Roland VS2480CD.
2. Bought a Mac and Cubase SX2 with a MOTU 828MKii I/O box
3. Bought Protools with a DIGI002Rack and had nothing but CPU Errors, no thanks and its still that way for many. SOLD THAT
4. Im on Cubase 6.5 now with a Steinberg MR816X I/O
5. I bought S1 last year JUST for the Mastering room and have been messing with it more. I actually bought it for myself and copies for 2 buddies so we could all be on the same DAW. Cubase is still my main DAW but that may change. Well see what 7 looks like

Currently I have Logic 9.1.7. Cubase 6.5.1, StudioOnePro 2.06. I use REAPER for live recordings as well

S1 and Cubase FEEL pretty close to me. Cubase has more bells and whistles but thats expected. For what your talking about recording 12 tracks or so, ANY DAW would be 10x better than the 2480 and better sound quality.

I think the S1 route would line up better with your 16.4.2 to be honest. **Remember this , if you LOSE your Copy protection DONGLE for Cubase, you have LOST the app and have to rebuy it!! S1 is probably more user friendly than Cubase and the Drag and Drop is just great, it saves a LOT of time.

Try out the Cubase your buddy gave you and see what you think. Youll know within a couple hours of trying to set things up and get going if it works for you. Editing in Cubase is really good.
Studio One Pro 2.6.2, Cubase 7.5.20

OSX 10.9.2 , MacPro 2.4, 8 Core, 14 GB RAM
Steinberg MR816X 1.7.6

dazzer
Prenoob

Whatever arguments people might give that may be valid, the "S1 sounds better than Cubase' one is, how can I put it, debatable...
http://soundcloud.com/revdaxx

Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion
Go to: