image description

Chipset for Firewire
  Forum Index » FireStudio Forum Community Support 
Author
Prenoob

Hi, I'm looking to buy a new computer with a firewire port on the motherboard. Just want to know what is the chipset that I have to get? Do ASUS high end motherboards work with the FS PROJECT?

Thanks,
Joe
dwdrum
Presonic
[Avatar]

Here ya go: http://www.presonus.com/media/pdf/hardware_compatibility.pdf
Mike
[Email]
pestyjoe
Prenoob

How can I find out if an ASUS Rampage III Extreme motherboard will work? I'm checking the specs but it doesn't say what chipset it has. Can someone check it out for me?

Here is the link for the motherboard: hxxp://ca.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=jy0uafxYBCrJwksC&templete=2
I don't know if I can post a link but just replace the xx by tt and it should work.

thanks again,
Joe

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 30/07/2010 16:49:06

pestyjoe
Prenoob

I know it says X58 chipset on the specs. Will this motherboard work with a FS-Project?

Thanks,
Joe
just4achuckle
Prenoob

pestyjoe wrote:I know it says X58 chipset on the specs. Will this motherboard work with a FS-Project?

Hey Joe (Cue Jimi Hendrix guitar intro)

The Asus Extreme Rampage III runs on an X58 chipset for the CPU and the northbridge. The northbridge is the link between your CPU and where you are going to put those 4 high end graphics cards you've been dreaming about for your gaming. This doesn't mean that everything attached to the motherboard runs on the X58 chipset. Different parts of the Motherboard have different chipsets that the CPU interacts with.

The FIREWIRE chipset on Asus Extreme Rampage III is VIA VT6315N

"Two FireWire (IEEE1394) ports are provided, one standard-sized on the rear panel and one thru a header on the motherboard. They are controlled by a VIA VT6315N chip." http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/printpage/ASUS-Rampage-III-Extreme-Motherboard/1006

In answer to your next question 'Will this chipset be compatible with my Presonus Firestudio XXXXX?"
-that is something someone from Presonus could maybe answer, however as you can see in the compatibility link kindly provided above, the chipset looks very similar to an approved model. This doesn't mean it is a sure thing, but I would be inclined to think you should be ok.

I'm no expert (maybe an enthusiast/nerd) so please don't take my word for it, if you are about to spend that much on a MoB it's worth taking the time to get to the bottom of it. It's unlikely you will get a firm answer from Presonus or from Asus because both companies would have to under go extensive testing to be able to give a 100% thumbs up. Otherwise they leave themselves open to all sorts of problems in the future (lawsuits etc). The other thing to consider is that the board you are looking at is brand spanking new, so there is no way this kind of testing would have been done yet. However it would be great if Presonus could maybe update the compatibility page (hint hint).

Here is a link to someone asking about a high end EVA motherboard and the firewire chipset from a audio perspective http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?high=&m=79051&mpage=1#79209

Google is your friend here... "Asus extreme rampage III firewire chipset"

Hope this helps a little and not clouded things. (Outro -> fade out {Hey Joe-guitar solo})

Good luck
Andrew
dwdrum
Presonic
[Avatar]

wow/........N1 Andrew.
Mike
[Email]
just4achuckle
Prenoob

Jeepers that was a bit of a novel there haha
pestyjoe
Prenoob

Thanks Andrew,

Can anybody at Presonus comment on what Andrew wrote?

Joe
jward
Prenoob
[Avatar]

Hi guys,

As far as reports from customers go, the incompatibility rate with VIA chip-sets is minimal. Unfortunately we do not have this model available to us, so we cannot give a definitive answer. But as long as this motherboard has the available slots, you can add a compatible firewire card if the on-board chip-set causes issues.
Jonathan Ward
Technical Support
www.presonus.com
jward@presonus.com
[WWW]
danielhuber
Prenoob
[Avatar]

The Gigabyte Motherboards have the Texas Instruments Firewire Chipsets. I'm using a EX58-UD3R perfectly with a Firestudio Tube and a Firestudio Project.
xzb6np
Presonic

I'm running a gigabyte board with an AMD quadcore and it's great with my Firestudio Tube.
Thanks
Baconator
[Avatar]

xzb6np wrote:I'm running a gigabyte board with an AMD quadcore and it's great with my Firestudio Tube.

Got a 3rd party VIA chipset card here and it works perfectly with my FSTube!

http://www.homestudiotrainer.webs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/themuzic
Email - homestudiotrainer@yahoo.com
Skype - themuzic
Phone - 773-303-7260
I offer FREE assistance for Studio One (any version) and Presonus hardware, to anyone having issues or anyone who simply wants to learn

Gateway Tower - Intel Core i5 3330 CPU 3GHz 8GB Ram and 64bit Windows 8
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!]
danielhuber
Prenoob
[Avatar]

Got a 3rd party VIA chipset card here and it works perfectly with my FSTube!

Yes!

I have to say that i've used a 5 dollar ebay (From Hong Kong) VIA PCI FIrewire and it already work perfectly with the FireStudio Project.
alpyssa12
Prenoob

Firewire is currently the hot ticket interface in the multimedia world and has been for some time. This isn?t surprising considering Firewire, which is also known as IEEE 1394, was developed by Apple ? the kings of audio / video computing ? and has a maximum data transfer throughput of 400Megabits/s or 50Mbytes/s. This is leagues faster than USB which maxes out at 12Mb/s or 1.5MB/s ? no wonder why those USB webcams can be so jerky.

Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

SPAM Ahoy!!....Thar she blow's Cap'n...just off the port bow!!
http://support.presonus.com

Tallest guy in the Mod Squad with all his hair still on his head.

No I'm not a freaking pilot!! The Air Force won't let me have a suit with a zipper...or sometimes shoestrings.

My advice and suggestions should never be considered advice or suggestions. These are mostly insane ramblings of a poor aircraft mechanic who can, strangely enough, still hear.

StudioLive 16.4.2, AudioBox 1818VSL, AudioBox 44VSL, Faderport, Digimax FS,, M-Audio Firewire 410
--MultiBoot System--
Win Vista 64/XP Pro/7 x86/7 x64 - Mac OSX Snow Leopard/Lion
Gigabyte motherboard--SYBA TI Firewire XIO2200A--i7 2600k Quad Core--16 GB DDR III--Custom 2U Rackmount--4 TB Raid (all internal SATA II)--19" Samsung HDMI LCD on pivoting VESA 1U Mount
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]

Forum Index » FireStudio Forum Community Support
Go to: