image description

Random Crackling with AudioBox 1818vsl during recording
  Forum Index » AudioBox VSL 1818 
Author
Prenoob

Hi all,

This is my first post. I have had my new 1818 for a few weeks and I am really struggling and need some help. I am running my interface into a new iMac 27" 3.4ghz. My DAW is Logic Studio. When I record virtual instruments, I have no crackling or other artifacts- it is crystal clear- I am using a Motif XS8 as my controller in this situation. However, when I am just recording the audio of my Motif XS8 I am running into this crackling- I have tried many passes of the same song and the crackling will show up in different places each time- it's a random thing and only happens a few times when I listen back to the track. I have tried to fix it my editing the waveform, but it isn't like an audio spike- it seems to be inbedded in the waverform so I can't do much with it.

I haven't checked recording vocals or other things yet to see if the keyboard is the culprit, but I use this board all the time outside of my studio with no problems so my guess is that it isn't that.

I was having a grounding issue I think because at first there was a weird electrical hum type sound coming out of my monitors when I was idling. I ground lifted those and the hum went away, so everything is quiet monitor-wise now. I am not using balanced cables, either to the monitors or from whatever audio I am recording (so maybe this could be causing the crackling?).

I have tried to ground lift the interface also, thinking that this might help, but haven't had any luck. The only thing I can think of at this point is that maybe I have 2 audiobox drivers running at the same time because I downloaded the most recent driver and didn't uninstall the other one (no directions how- didn't know how to do it.) I am using the USB cable that came with the unit, so I don't think that the USB cable is the issue.

Some people have mentioned that turning "Airport" off and disabling wireless services could help- I have my wireless off, but haven't figured out how to get the "Airport" turned off, even with the directions supplied.

Please let me know if I am doing something wrong here- I appreciate everyone's knowledge and help!

robloomis
Prenoob
[Avatar]

Hey,
Sounds like something I'm having a similar problem with. Do you happen to have an audio clip with a sample of the problem? Look at my post just above yours and listen to the sample I posted. Does it sound like what you hear there?

Very curious..

- -
Rob Loomis
[WWW]
hammer
Prenoob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for replying. I listed to the clip- there is a crackle right after "words aren't enough" which sounds exactly what I am dealing with. I don't have some of the popping sounds that I heard on your file, just a crackle every once in a while - it's embedded in the audio file so it can't be taken out by trimming a spike or something like that in the waveform. Sorry you are dealing with the same issue- thank you for posting that file. When I get home tonight from work I am going to try running standard Midi through the 1818 instead of using the USB midi connection I am currently using. Don't know if that will help or not, but need to at least try that to see if it is something with the USB driver or USB cable, even though I have used that cable in the past with no problems.Going standard Midi may help, who knows!

I will also record some audio tracks from other sources besides the Motif to see if the problem is a general audio recording problem or it is isolated to the keyboard. If I still have the same issues, I will post an audio clip as well so you can see what I am dealing with- it doesn't happen often, but even once in a 3-4 min recording is still too much for folks who are trying to do something professional. Hopefully it isn't the 1818 but rather something I need to change in the computer settings or something else like that.

Hopefully I will have more answers after tonight and may be able to help with your problems as well.
robloomis
Prenoob
[Avatar]

Glad the audio clip helped. I also switched over to the standard MIDI on the 1818. Heck, worst case scenario it gave me a USB port back right!?

I spoke with a long time Studio One user last night and he mentioned kicking the buffer up to at least 512 when doing audio tracking. But you and I both know that the higher the buffer with virtual instruments, the more latency we get and the harder it is to play with any 'feel' or 'emotion'.

Today I will try and track at 48k / 24bit and a buffer at a min of 512 (if not higher for vox or guitar) and see what happens.

I know what you mean. ONE pop or click in the track and it's toast. Can't have that happening.

Thanks!

- -
Rob Loomis
[WWW]
hammer
Prenoob

Thanks Rob- let me know how your recording experiment works out and I'll keep you posted on what happens on my end- I'll try the buffer change and see if that helps.
Jason.Harris
Presonoid

On my Vaio, I always have to disable Wi-Fi or I have crackling and popping in both the audioplayback and the recorded audio.

Make sure you have Wi-Fi Disabled and see if that helps!

Cheers,

Jason

robloomis
Prenoob
[Avatar]

I'm not currently using Wi-Fi - but I've heard that same thing from other users - not just Presonus.

- -
Rob Loomis
[WWW]
hammer
Prenoob

I discovered something when experimenting the other day. When I record just audio, I am not experiencing the crackling anymore. The problem seems to be around my keyboard when it is connected to the computer via USB and I am using MIDI. I think I have a driver issue in the computer or there is something else which is causing the random crackling. When I disconnect the USB and just record the keyboard via the interface into the computer it is clear.

Now, I am trying to only use the MIDI on the 1818 interface to see if that will resolve the crackling since it seems to be associated with the USC connection, but now, my Mac isn't identifying the 1818 MIDI connection and I don't know why.
hammer
Prenoob

That is supposed to state "USB connection" at the bottom of my last post- sorry for the typo!
cristofe
Presonoid
[Avatar]

but now, my Mac isn't identifying the 1818 MIDI connection and I don't know why.

I don't know if this is any help but on my Win7 machine in Cubase I thought at first that the 1818's
MIDI was not being recognized as I saw nothing but "Windows MIDI" listed. However it turned out
that this was in fact the 1818's MIDI I/O. For some reason it was just not properly indentified. I'm
guessing the drivers are to blame for this as the MIDI I/O of all my other interfaces are listed properly.

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon Processors, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2
HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz Processor, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro
HP Compaq NC6320 Laptop Intel Core2Duo 2.0Ghz Processor 3GB RAM Win7 Ult
Dell Latitude E4310 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz Processor 4GB RAM Win7 Pro x32

Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & FP10 Firewire, Steinberg MI4 USB, Line 6 Toneport GX & PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's

DAWS/VST Hosts: S1 Professional, Plogue Bidule, Xlutop Chainer, Sieb VSTHost & Savihost

Hardware Synthesizers: Roland SH-32 & XV-3080 RedSound Darkstar XP2, Novation X-Station, Yamaha AN200, M-Audio Venom

Hardware Controllers: JL Cooper CS-10 Control Surface, Yamaha EZ-EG, Dillion Les Paul style acoustic electric guitar with Roland GK-3 pickup and GI-20 converter.

The Rest: Guitars, Amps, Stompboxes, Mics, Outboard Gear, VST plugins...too much to list!
[WWW]
alexrodriguez
Prenoob

Try reinstall windows, resolves this problem here. Good luck.
alexrodriguez
Prenoob

Say " Solves this problem here". Sorry.
Kiwicomposer
Presonic
[Avatar]

I also have random pop and crackles on playback with my iMac 2.8 H Ghz on AudioBox1818VSL in Studio One. (VSL & Driver version 1.2)

If I play the same track (with no other settings but the Audio Device ones changed) via my Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 - nothing clean as a whistle but playing via the AudioBox adds these artifacts.
I also have a small MBOX 2 USB s device that I don't normally have connected.. Connecting it and playing through that (as it is USB) also is clean so it is not a faulty USB port generating these.

I suspect the AudioBox/VSL device drivers are not that crash hot.

I have other AudioBox issues as well so have reverted to my Focusrite for the meantime on the hope and prayer that a new/updated drive driver will be released that will fix it..

Jason Suggested.....
"On my Vaio, I always have to disable Wi-Fi or I have crackling and popping in both the audioplayback and the recorded audio.

Make sure you have Wi-Fi Disabled and see if that helps!"

Might try the Wifi trick and see if that solves things. Not much help however if you wanna use the IPAD feature of VSL 1.2!!

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 31/07/2012 00:58:38

Steve Currington
de Composer
Wellington, New Zealand
Twitter: @kiwicomposer
Facebook: kiwicomposer
SkypeID: kiwicomposer
----------------------------------------

Main Environment: Presonus Studio One, Presonus Audiobox1818vsl, Presonus Audiobox USB, Presonus Faderport, Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, MOTU Traveler Mk3, TC-Helicon VoiceworksPlus, FMR RNC, FMR RNLA, Axiom Pro 49 Keyboard, numerous mics, audio plugins and instruments. Sibelius v7.x, Notion v4.x, Logic Studio. V9.x..
Running on an iMac's and MacBookAir with OSX 10.9.x Mavericks

JTH Productions
Prenoob

It is a driver issue. I went back to the store and we tested 5 1818VSL units in three different mac laptops and two iMacs. Exaclty the same clicking problems when recording audio. All 1818VSL units worked perfectly on Windows PC:s. Try the the 1.2.1 AudioBox VSL Beta driver. It has less problems with clicking.

Best,
J
DCP
Prenoob

JTH Productions wrote:It is a driver issue. I went back to the store and we tested 5 1818VSL units in three different mac laptops and two iMacs. Exaclty the same clicking problems when recording audio. All 1818VSL units worked perfectly on Windows PC:s. Try the the 1.2.1 AudioBox VSL Beta driver. It has less problems with clicking.

Best,
J

Agreed, every Mac I have (four) unit records with clicks, took my VSL1818 back to the shop and it clicked on there IMac as well so not a faulty unit, more of a driver issue.
Mac Book Pro I7, Quad Core, 4 GIG Ram,
VSL 1818, Studiolive 16.4.2
Logic Pro 9
5 KW JBL PRX Active PA System
3 KW Mackie Active PA System

Forum Index » AudioBox VSL 1818
Go to: