image description

Studio One equivalent to Waves Doubler?
  Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion 
Author
Presonic
[Avatar]

Is there anything that comes with Studio One that could do the job of Waves Doubler? For doubling up guitars, like in this video example....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLw6rJixm6Y&feature=related

MacBook Pro 15" - i7 2GHz Quad - 8GB RAM - 750GB - OSX 10.8.4 | Logic Pro X | Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
hendrik84
Presonic
[Avatar]

nice trick!
Windows 8 64bit - Quad-core Amd 3.6Ghz - 8gb Ram - Ssd - Presonus Audiobox 22VSL - M-Audio BX5 D2 - Studio One 2 Professional
Resonator
Presonic
[Avatar]

Here's a good freebie ADT, give it a try. Also check out the reverb Poor Plate that's quite nice too.
http://www.vacuumsound.de/plugins.html
Toth
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Waves Doubler:

[WWW]
Toth
Presonoid
[Avatar]

I'm going to check this, but this is easly done with a delay that has 0 feedback and can be set in milliseconds, and the delays can be panned. Add a little modulation to the echos and you got a doubler.

If the delay does not have left and right processing, put it on two parallel processing tracks, one of them panned L the other R.
[WWW]
LMike
Baconator
[Avatar]

I've been trying to replicate that effect with about 80% success. You can send to busses and get delayed mults with a simple delay but the onky way to get the detune is to copy the track and detune the copies.

That plug is really handy. Cubase has one kinda like it but it didn't have detune. I use Waves Doubler on vocals a lot. I think that "sound" is on a lot more pop records than we might think.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 22/03/2012 23:06:33

Studio One Tips For Newbs

"So.... Bitwig. I wonder what's queued up next in line on the drama list?"
Gateway2011
Prenoob
[Avatar]

LMike wrote:I've been trying to replicate that effect with about 80% success. You can send to busses and get delayed mults with a simple delay but the onky way to get the detune is to copy the track and detune the copies.

That plug is really handy. Cubase has one kinda like it but it didn't have detune. I use Waves Doubler on vocals a lot. I think that "sound" is on a lot more pop records than we might think.

Any tips or tricks you willing to share as far as using it on vocals? Speaking of the ways doubler. Thanks in advance.
Studio One Pro 2.6, Win7 x64 Laptop, Tracks 3 Deluxe, Waves
[WWW]
LMike
Baconator
[Avatar]

For lead vocal, I use the Doubler 2 hard L/R, delay maybe 25 / 30 ms L/R respectively, detuned about 15 +/- maybe and maybe crank up the depth a bit. If you crank up the send you can really hear the effect, what it does, them back it down a good bit. I always use it on a bus. Depending on the vocalist, I may also roll off some high and low on the doubles to put more emphasis on the mids.

It can add a really nice texture and it's not even something that people notice until you take it off. It also, depending on the settings, can help with seperation but you have to do have to check it in mono. I've even gone a bit longer longer with the doubled delays, like 45 / 55 ms L/R on some songs. What it ultimately sounds like depends on where you seat the final effect bus or send level, the balance. If the vocal verb has a healthy pre-delay, 30-40ms doubles kinda fit right in that space nicely.

Just play around with it and you'll see what I mean. Just don't overdo it.

themuzic
Baconator
[Avatar]

I heard no difference really. You can accomplish the same exact thing with a detuned and delayed clone track.

http://www.homestudiotrainer.webs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/themuzic
Email - homestudiotrainer@yahoo.com
Skype - themuzic
Phone - 773-303-7260
I offer FREE assistance for Studio One (any version) and Presonus hardware, to anyone having issues or anyone who simply wants to learn

Gateway Tower - Intel Core i5 3330 CPU 3GHz 8GB Ram and 64bit Windows 8
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!]
LMike
Baconator
[Avatar]

themuzic wrote:I heard no difference really. You can accomplish the same exact thing with a detuned and delayed clone track.

For sure. It's just easier to use the plug for that but yeah, making two more copies of the vocal and delaying & detuning can get you to pretty much the same place. Little bit harder to do with 12 backing tracks though, the duplicating and detuning and all that.

Also (sorry, slipped my mind) the doubler also modulates the pitch a little, giving a different sound, which is why I said "pretty much" the same.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 23/03/2012 02:51:44

Gateway2011
Prenoob
[Avatar]

Good Stuff LMike
Studio One Pro 2.6, Win7 x64 Laptop, Tracks 3 Deluxe, Waves
[WWW]
kelldammit
Presonic
[Avatar]

Not an s1 thing, but the psp MD608 has a lovely doubler preset, with the modulated delays, etc.
I saw a neat trick on Pensado's place (sorry, i forget which episode), where he moved the doubled track ahead, then put a modulated delay on it, and automated the modulation AND delay time (or something to that effect), to better impersonate an "imperfect" double.

that said, you could probably do similar with the s1 analog delay (doesn't it have a modulation settting)?

kell

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 23/03/2012 05:47:39

Some people are like slinkies. They don't have a purpose, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
--
Lenovo e520, i5 @2.3ghz, 8gb Ram, 7200rpm hd, win7 pro x64, studio 1 v2 pro x64, focusrite saffire usb-6, akai mpk-61.
[WWW]
Gizzmo0815
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Resonator wrote:Here's a good freebie ADT, give it a try. Also check out the reverb Poor Plate that's quite nice too.
http://www.vacuumsound.de/plugins.html

This is a great plug that is quite overlooked (I suspect because it's so basic and doesn't have a GUI).

It's not EXACTLY the same as Waves Doubler...but it serves a similar purpose. Great reference!
Computer: Lenovo y560, 2.0 GHz quad core, 8 gb RAM, Win 7 (x64)
Presonus "Stuff": Studio One Pro, Presonus Firestudio Mobile, Studiolive 16.0.2, Faderport
Blue Beagle Music
My Blog
[WWW]
Gizzmo0815
Presonoid
[Avatar]

LMike wrote:
themuzic wrote:I heard no difference really. You can accomplish the same exact thing with a detuned and delayed clone track.

For sure. It's just easier to use the plug for that but yeah, making two more copies of the vocal and delaying & detuning can get you to pretty much the same place. Little bit harder to do with 12 backing tracks though, the duplicating and detuning and all that.

Also (sorry, slipped my mind) the doubler also modulates the pitch a little, giving a different sound, which is why I said "pretty much" the same.

Another powerful tool for this is Melodyne. There are some great tutorials on Youtube if you search for "Melodyne Doubling" that will show some REALLY neat ways of achieving some of these kinds of effects for vocals, guitars, etc. It's a bit more work of course, but for the occasional specific use it's really quite cool.
Computer: Lenovo y560, 2.0 GHz quad core, 8 gb RAM, Win 7 (x64)
Presonus "Stuff": Studio One Pro, Presonus Firestudio Mobile, Studiolive 16.0.2, Faderport
Blue Beagle Music
My Blog
[WWW]
kreeper_6
Presonoid
[Avatar]

This kind of tool would be a great addition to S1.

Windows 8.1 x64 / Core2 Q6600 / Gigabyte EP35-DS3R F4 / 4GB DDR2 800 / EVGA GTX 650 Ti SC
Studio One x64 / 24Bit / 48kHz / 256 Buffer / Double Precision
FireStudio Tube / Axiom 25 / UAD-2 Quad v7.3

Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion
Go to: