image description

MACKIE DL1608 vs PRESONUS 16.0.2 o 16.4.2
  Forum Index » StudioLive General Discussion 
Author
Prenoob

hello guys, they think of the graphical interface of the mackie, the quality of the mic preamps, and does not need to work wirelessly connection to pc.
do not speak English I used the translator
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjLMhrRJ93Y
robare99
Presonic
[Avatar]

Yeah. Check the marketing video. It's a farce.

:facepalm:
gadget69
Presonificator
[Avatar]

Vaporware...
NOTE: If your having an issue, open a tech support ticket and bring the number here if you want help!
http://support.presonus.com

Tools:
OHCI tool and Latency mon:
http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/11348.page

We, the few, that have done so much, for so long that now we can do everyything with nothing

dbx forum moderator

Lenova Ideapad Z565
Best connectivity Express card/firewire 2 port (400) that does NOT suggest having the TI chipset. (always worked great)
BYTECC Express card (400/800)07150358281

Asus/AMD processor tower. This setups just works on all firewire devices.

Belkin N450 dual band router, works with SL and Ai mixers
Studiolive 16:4:2
SL Ai24.4.2
ABUSB 1818VSL
Faderport
USB pre interface
Studio one Pro V2
LABsubs

loads of audio, and studio gear, and audiophile sound gear (gearslut)
[Email] [Yahoo!]
fiddledance
Prenoob

It does have potential. It will be smaller than the 16.0.2 but with more channels and aux sends. It remains to be seen (heard, actually) whether it sounds as good as the StudioLive. It might have more of an impact on the 16.4.2. But there is no multichannel recording. Right now PreSonus has a huge advantage with tools like Qmix and the upcoming Smaart spectrograph integration.

Mackie's concept of an iPad substituting for a control surface is not new. Allen & Heath has that capability with the iLive MixRacks, which do not require a console, just a laptop and/or iPad. (Most users do indeed use a console, but a growing number of them are doing without one.) This video shows such a user: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfWCxS6ThHY. Mackie is just doing this on a much smaller (and limited) scale.
lostinsound
Presonic
[Avatar]

It would make me a little nervous using that setup, unless there is a failsafe I'm not aware of. What happens if your iPad or your network has a glitch, or the app crashes? You're pretty much left with just physical preamp levels. Scary!

With the StudioLives, you still have a physical control surface if that happens. With the A&H setups, if you're using the iPad app and it crashes, you can have a laptop connected via ethernet at the stagebox as a backup.
Andrew Henderson
www.getlostinsound.com
---
LIVE: StudioLive 24.4.2, MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Core2Duo, 6GB DDR2, OS 10.8.2, Studio One Pro 2.5, UC 1.7, SL Remote 1.3
---
STUDIO/LIVE RECORDING: Mac Mini, 2.3 GHz i5, 8GB DDR3, OS 10.8.2, Studio One Pro 2.5, RME Fireface UFX, 3 x Presonus Digimax FS
[WWW]
rockstardave
Presonic
[Avatar]

uh, we HAVE heard those preamps in the Onyx boards.

frankly, the onyx preamps sound MUCH more transparent than presonus xmax preamps. i knew that when i sold my onyx i'd be taking a small step down in clarity of the preamps, but the convenience of all the processing made it way worthwhile.

2xSL16 , KW-series , Macbook pro / ipad , fairly decent mics and DI boxes.
[WWW]
fiddledance
Prenoob

There is more to a digital mixer's sound than just the preamps.
rockstardave
Presonic
[Avatar]

Yes that's true, but I'll tell ya right now- my onyx board sounded noticeably better just to start with. Good processing would only help, let's hope mackie put good brains in the thing.

That said- I don't think I'd ever own a DL board. Not my style
2xSL16 , KW-series , Macbook pro / ipad , fairly decent mics and DI boxes.
[WWW]
gadget69
Presonificator
[Avatar]

Never liked the Mackie sound, not on the Eq's or the Pre's...and I was SUCH and old analog dog..
Just sayin...
NOTE: If your having an issue, open a tech support ticket and bring the number here if you want help!

Tools:

We, the few, that have done so much, for so long that now we can do everyything with nothing

dbx forum moderator

Lenova Ideapad Z565
Best connectivity Express card/firewire 2 port (400) that does NOT suggest having the TI chipset. (always worked great)

SL Ai24.4.2
ABUSB 1818VSL
Faderport
USB pre interface
Studio one Pro V2
LABsubs

[Email] [Yahoo!]
fiddledance
Prenoob

It's interesting how we react to the various mixers out there. I actually liked the older Mackie VLZ mixers. We had one at our church, and in my opinion it sounded better than the LS9 that replaced it. I've also owned a couple of the first Onyx boards and liked them quite a bit. My all-time favorite small-format analog board, though, is the APB Dynasonics ProRack House. Nothing in its class beats the sound of that thing.

I think the sound of the PreSonus boards is quite acceptable, better than the LS9 but not as good as the Soundcraft Si Compact or the iLive series.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/03/2012 09:29:22

scottmckenna
Presonic

I think this will be an awesome little set up. You can say what you want about what happens if the iPad crashes, but Apple makes pretty outstanding devices, and I'd trust my iPad over any other device any day. I think it will sound great personally, because I think mackie does a nice job with their pre amps for the price. More importantly, you're getting 6 AUX sends, on a board that does mostly everything that the 16.4.2 does, and it's only $1,000. I have a 16.0.2 and I have a 16.4.2, and I will definitely be purchasing one of these when they come out. If it's as good as I think it will be, I'll be selling my Presonus for sure. It's so small it would be perfect for a lot of applications.
----------------------
Scott McKenna
623-688-3334 (Office)
www.scottmckenna.com

Equipment List:
Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2
QSC K Series Loud Speakers and Subwoofers
[Email] [WWW] aim icon
H.G
Prenoob

bueno decidi seguir la linea de presonus y me decidí por la 16.0.2.
gadget69
Presonificator
[Avatar]

You go Scotty Personally I have never liked Mackie products... wouldn't own one to be honest. I guess I better go on their forum and bash their product..

Poster, try google translator...

Tools:

dbx forum moderator

Lenova Ideapad Z565

SL Ai24.4.2
ABUSB 1818VSL
Faderport
USB pre interface
Studio one Pro V2
LABsubs

[Email] [Yahoo!]
moby
Prenoob
[Avatar]

gadget69 wrote:You go Scotty Personally I have never liked Mackie products... wouldn't own one to be honest. I guess I better go on their forum and bash their product..

Poster, try google translator...

Who's bashing ?. Most folks here have alredy voted with their wallets and Presonus got the nod, but this shouldn't preclude exploring what the opposition is doing.
I see it as a horses for courses situation ie
My SL24/4/2 replaces an A&H GL2200 (+ a metric buttload of outboard gear)
The DL1608 could replace a Spirit Folio.
I look forward to playing with it.
M
gadget69
Presonificator
[Avatar]

If it's as good as I think it will be, I'll be selling my Presonus for sure.
Hmmmmm...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/04/2012 09:20:42

Tools:

dbx forum moderator

Lenova Ideapad Z565

SL Ai24.4.2
ABUSB 1818VSL
Faderport
USB pre interface
Studio one Pro V2
LABsubs

[Email] [Yahoo!]

Forum Index » StudioLive General Discussion
Go to: