image description

No sound from Board after connecting firewire cable to Macbook pro-also can't play iTunes into Board
  Forum Index » StudioLive Forum Community Support 
Author
Prenoob
[Avatar]

Hi good people! This is my first post on the PreSonus forums. I recently purchased a StudioLive 16.4.2 and I've got my first gig with it this weekend. I was finally able to get my Macbook Pro, iPad, and phone all synced up last night.

Tonight I set up 2 mains (spkrs) and tried playing around. I plugged a guitar in and it sounded real good. Next I connected to my computer thru firewire and all sound from the board went off.

I raised and lowered the mains on the board and thru Universal Control (UC). When i disconnect the firewire cable it works fine, but as soon as the cable is reconnected, no sound at all.

Any suggestions?

I also have a second question i'd like to slip in here...I want to be able to play iTunes from the computer into the board thru firewire. I tried working with Audio Midi Setup in the Mac but can't seem to be able to get that working either/too. Can someone help out? 'Preciate it!
2.4 Ghz Intel Core Duo Macbook Pro 4 GB RAM, , StudioLive 16.4.2, iPad 1, iPhone 4
Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

And for your iTunes issue,

Set Core Audio to output to 17/18 and press the firewire/tape button (should be lit) and turn up the tape return knob.
http://support.presonus.com

Tallest guy in the Mod Squad with all his hair still on his head.

No I'm not a freaking pilot!! The Air Force won't let me have a suit with a zipper...or sometimes shoestrings.

My advice and suggestions should never be considered advice or suggestions. These are mostly insane ramblings of a poor aircraft mechanic who can, strangely enough, still hear.

StudioLive 16.4.2, AudioBox 1818VSL, AudioBox 44VSL, Faderport, Digimax FS,, M-Audio Firewire 410
--MultiBoot System--
Win Vista 64/XP Pro/7 x86/7 x64 - Mac OSX Snow Leopard/Lion
Gigabyte motherboard--SYBA TI Firewire XIO2200A--i7 2600k Quad Core--16 GB DDR III--Custom 2U Rackmount--4 TB Raid (all internal SATA II)--19" Samsung HDMI LCD on pivoting VESA 1U Mount
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
drummernick
Prenoob
[Avatar]

I puzzled over this same problem a couple of days ago being a total Mac newbie

Try going to your System Preferences, Sound and check your inputs and outputs are routed to the board rather than the internal mac audio. Could be as simple as that.
StudioLive 16.0.2 iMac27 8gb Valve compressors, Gates,Limiters,Parametric, Solid State Quad 33 mono block power amps, iKey Audio RM3 SD/USB WAV/MP3 rack recorder, Tanoy Little Red monitors.

Gretsch round badge 12 14 20 downbeat 1960s kit
Ludwig Bubinga exotic 18 8 10 14ft
Spanish hand made Cajon
All my cymbals are K Zildjian some USA but a few real ones too. Recently got into Dream Bliss paper thins. Stunning bronze!
Guitarsolo
Prenoob
[Avatar]

I didn't know the computer had to be off when the board is connected...worked late last nite. trying again now...fingers crossed.
2.4 Ghz Intel Core Duo Macbook Pro 4 GB RAM, , StudioLive 16.4.2, iPad 1, iPhone 4
noelb
Prenoob

I could have sworn that I wrote this post. Having a similar issue and it usually happens whenever I close the lid on the macbook. I need to re-start the computer, turn off and on the Studio live then eventually it works again. By the way, in my case at least it's not about any settings. Even the instruments and mics plugged into the board cannot be heard when this occurs. If I pull out the fw cable, suddenly i can hear the instruments again... Will be watching the thread closely.
Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

noelb, does your MBP go into sleep mode when you close the lid? If so then that is what's causing this for you. When it is going to sleep the mixer is still getting its firewire clock from the computer and sleep doesn't let it disconnect. When you pop the cable out (or a less wear and tear way would be to cycle the firewire link ID) the mixer takes back over as the master clock source and your audio works again.

No I'm not a freaking pilot!! The Air Force won't let me have a suit with a zipper...or sometimes shoestrings.

My advice and suggestions should never be considered advice or suggestions. These are mostly insane ramblings of a poor aircraft mechanic who can, strangely enough, still hear.

StudioLive 16.4.2, AudioBox 1818VSL, AudioBox 44VSL, Faderport, Digimax FS,, M-Audio Firewire 410
--MultiBoot System--
Gigabyte motherboard--SYBA TI Firewire XIO2200A--i7 2600k Quad Core--16 GB DDR III--Custom 2U Rackmount--4 TB Raid (all internal SATA II)--19" Samsung HDMI LCD on pivoting VESA 1U Mount
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
noelb
Prenoob

Yes, that's it, Monolithent! Just tried that and it worked. Now, if I could find a way to either automate this or to prevent the sleep mode....
Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

There should be some way to shut it off in the settings but I'm not Mac savvy enough to tell you where or how.

Maybe Google??

--MultiBoot System--
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
GLJones
Presonic
[Avatar]

There is a free program called Caffine you can install on your Mac. It place a small coffee cup in your top menubar. When you click it, it toggles between normal and caffeinated.

Caffeinated means your computer is locked awake and will not sleep. Using this, your computer can be used as normal but when you are on a gig and have the board connected, turn on caffeine and no worries about sleep mode.

You can even set a timer on it so caffeine will disable itself after a number of hours in case you forget.
Jerry Jones

On the road:
PreSonus StudioLive 24.4.2 or 16.0.2
MacBook Pro 15"
iPad
iPhone
QSC K12s
QSC KW-Sub
Sennheiser G3 Wireless Instrument Systems (6)
Sennheiser G3 Wireless Monitor Systems (6)
Studio One 2 Professional

In the Studio:
Mac Mini
Logic Pro 9
Yamaha HS80M Studio Monitors
JBL Sub
Samson C-QUE-8 Headphone Amp

Violectric.net
FretlessRock.com
[WWW] aim icon
talmen
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Don't sleep your computer when working with audio. Period. Most programs/drivers cannot deal with it. Regularly shutting down and re-starting your computer is a good idea anyhow, as there are important computer hygeine routines that are executed at those times that may not otherwise happen.
Field Kit:
MacBook Pro 9.2 i5 2.5 GHz, 8GB RAM,
OS 10.8.5;
SL 16.4.2, AB1818VSL, Alesis IO14 / IO26
PreSonus Capture 2.1.0.24135, PreSonus S1
v2.6.1.24770, Boom Recorder 7.25.3

Studio Kit:
iMac 11.3, i7 (Quad) 2.93GHz, 8 GB RAM,
OS 10.9.1,
M-Audio FW1814, PreSonus Faderport,
PreSonus S1 Pro 2.6.1.24770
talmen
Presonoid
[Avatar]

To avoid sleep, you don't need a special program or utility. Just go to System Preferences>>Energy Saver

Set Computer Sleep to NEVER
Set Display Sleep to NEVER
Un-check "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible"

Field Kit:
MacBook Pro 9.2 i5 2.5 GHz, 8GB RAM,
OS 10.8.5;
SL 16.4.2, AB1818VSL, Alesis IO14 / IO26
PreSonus Capture 2.1.0.24135, PreSonus S1
v2.6.1.24770, Boom Recorder 7.25.3

Studio Kit:
iMac 11.3, i7 (Quad) 2.93GHz, 8 GB RAM,
OS 10.9.1,
M-Audio FW1814, PreSonus Faderport,
PreSonus S1 Pro 2.6.1.24770
GLJones
Presonic
[Avatar]

talmen wrote:To avoid sleep, you don't need a special program or utility. Just go to System Preferences>>Energy Saver

Set Computer Sleep to NEVER
Set Display Sleep to NEVER
Un-check "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible"

I know you don't need a program but Caffeine makes it easy to turn sleep on and off from the desktop without digging into the System Preferences. I like my computer to sleep normally except when I am doing audio. It's free too.
Jerry Jones

On the road:
MacBook Pro 15"
iPad
iPhone
QSC K12s
QSC KW-Sub
Sennheiser G3 Wireless Instrument Systems (6)
Sennheiser G3 Wireless Monitor Systems (6)

In the Studio:
Mac Mini
Logic Pro 9
Yamaha HS80M Studio Monitors
JBL Sub
Samson C-QUE-8 Headphone Amp

Violectric.net
FretlessRock.com
[WWW] aim icon
cookr12
Prenoob

This forum has really helped me out. Can anyone give a step by step order of powering on and of your system as well as at what stage to plug/unplug the firewire cable? Here is what I think although maybe there is a better way.

1. start with firewire unplugged from computer and both mixer, computer and speakers off
2. turn on studio live
3. plug firewire into computer
4. boot up computer
5. turn on speakers
6. when finished with session, unplug firewire cable from computer
7. shut down mixer and computer.
8. repeat step 1 - 8 for each session

Let me know if anyone has a better way!!

Forum Index » StudioLive Forum Community Support
Go to: