image description

Auto Punch
  Forum Index » Studio One Tips and Tricks 
Author
Presonic
[Avatar]

Would someone please define the steps for auto punch. What is locater? Here's what book says:

•• Set the Left Locator in the Timeline Ruler of the Arrange view at the
position you wish to punch in—that is, where recording should begin.
•• Set the Right Locator in the Timeline Ruler of the Arrange view at the
position you wish to punch out, that is, where recording should stop.

My problem is, I don't understand what they are saying when they talk about locater and how you get to locater. What is the timeline ruler and what is the arrange view. I tried markers and they didn't work. Help would be appreciated---Henry

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 29/02/2012 20:29:39

[WWW]
matthewgorman
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Not sure if I will use the correct terms, but the process is simple enough.

The arrange view is the screen that has the actual wave files for view, above the mixer. At the top of the arrange view is a timeline (ruler). When you click just above that (lighter grey band), that will place the locater brackets where you click. This is what you will need to set to do autopunch. Drag one side of the locater to the beginning, and the other to the end of the area you want to punch. This should Bracket in your punch. You activate the preroll with the icon next to the metronome. You can use preroll to get your starting point (predetermined timeframe of lead-in, set just below the autopunch icon), or you can move the curser to where you want the lead-in to start. If autopunch is engaged, press record. Playback will start at the lead-in, and record will enable at the start of the bracket. Record stops at the end of the bracket.
Matt

Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bt, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor
StarTech EC13942 34mm Expresscard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839158010&Tpk=startech%20EC13942
S1Pro V2 (Special Dog Balls Edition), Melodyne Editor, Nomad Factory Studio Bundle, Waves Renaissance Bundle, Firestudio Tube, Faderport, Monitor Station, HP4 Headphone Amp Yamaha HS50 Monitors.
Shure Mics (57's, 58's, and a 1953 Unidyne), Various AKG, Various MXL Ribbon Mics.

1974 P-Bass, 1990 Jazz, 1985 Guild B302, Ampeg SVT with 4x10x15 cabinet

http://soundcloud.com/stars_apart
isteel4u
Presonic
[Avatar]

Thanks Matt, I'll try that when I get home this evening. feel like I'm so dumb when it comes to some of this stuff. They mention these terms in the manual and I don't know what they are talking about, LOL. Thaks again---Henry
[WWW]
matthewgorman
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Come on back if its not clear for you. I deal with the USPS daily, so I am well versed in confusing language.
Matt

Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bt, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor
StarTech EC13942 34mm Expresscard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839158010&Tpk=startech%20EC13942
S1Pro V2 (Special Dog Balls Edition), Melodyne Editor, Nomad Factory Studio Bundle, Waves Renaissance Bundle, Firestudio Tube, Faderport, Monitor Station, HP4 Headphone Amp Yamaha HS50 Monitors.
Shure Mics (57's, 58's, and a 1953 Unidyne), Various AKG, Various MXL Ribbon Mics.

1974 P-Bass, 1990 Jazz, 1985 Guild B302, Ampeg SVT with 4x10x15 cabinet

http://soundcloud.com/stars_apart
macwriter
Presonic
[Avatar]

Henry, you may want to check out the instructional videos on Studio One offered at Groove 3. Very detailed instructions on Studio One - I couldn't have gotten off the ground without them - my only DAW experience prior was GarageBand. The guy who put the videos together is in the Presonus community here somewhere... he just finished a full video on Version 2 of Studio One.
Studio Hardware /Software:

Studio One Version 2.5 (64bit Professional Version)
EZ Drummer (full version)
Melodyne Editor 2.1 (full version)
EZ Mix (full version)

Macbook
Running OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)
2.1 ghz intel core duo
4gb 667 mhz ddr2 sdram

Internal Hard Drive Drive
120G total (However, I am writing all Studio One Files live to an External Firewire Drive while recording/edting and not to the internal Mac drive: 160G/400 Firewire)

Presonus AudioBox VSL 22
Fathead Ribbon Microphone
Shure SM57 Microphone
MXL Microphone 990/991 package
Reference monitors: M-Audio BX5a
Headphones: AudioTechnica ATH-M30

Guitars: Fender Telecaster (MIM); Ibanez Acoustic - AEG-20

Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 49es
[WWW]

Forum Index » Studio One Tips and Tricks
Go to: