image description

Record midi keyboard with Studio One
  Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion 
Author
Prenoob

Hi everyone,

I am at my very beginning in all these recording issues. I have the Presonus Audiobox USB and Studio One 2.0.3
I would like to record my Korg SP-250 as a midi keyboard in Studio One, but after trying for ours, I did not succeed. I already configured the keyboard as my default keyboard in Studio One but I don't understand how to get what I play into my computer.
Thank you very much for your help!

Phil
themuzic
Baconator
[Avatar]

Just to get you started:

1. drag the instrument you want into the main view
2. this creates a track automatically
3. choose the sound you want to play in the actual instrument
4. click the record arm button

Now, if your keyboard is set up correctly, you should now be able to play the instrument. See the short vid below....

http://www.homestudiotrainer.webs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/themuzic
Email - homestudiotrainer@yahoo.com
Skype - themuzic
Phone - 773-303-7260
I offer FREE assistance for Studio One (any version) and Presonus hardware, to anyone having issues or anyone who simply wants to learn

Gateway Tower - Intel Core i5 3330 CPU 3GHz 8GB Ram and 64bit Windows 8
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!]
phermann
Prenoob

Thank you very much for your quick answer.
Unfortunately, I can't find my midi keyboard in the instrument list on the right side. Do you have an idea what could be wrong?
themuzic
Baconator
[Avatar]

phermann wrote:Thank you very much for your quick answer.
Unfortunately, I can't find my midi keyboard in the instrument list on the right side. Do you have an idea what could be wrong?

Set it up as a generic keyboard.

http://www.homestudiotrainer.webs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/themuzic
Email - homestudiotrainer@yahoo.com
Skype - themuzic
Phone - 773-303-7260
I offer FREE assistance for Studio One (any version) and Presonus hardware, to anyone having issues or anyone who simply wants to learn

Gateway Tower - Intel Core i5 3330 CPU 3GHz 8GB Ram and 64bit Windows 8
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!]
alcraig
Prenoob
[Avatar]

Phermann.
Please clarify:
Do you want your Korg to be a midi generator and play the internal sound in S1
OR
Do you want to record the sounds available on the Korg?

Two different beasties.

Al
AudioBox 44 VSL
Dell Latitude D620
Studio One Professional

Sound Workshop 34
Sadie Artemis
Sadie Classic
Lots of vintage mics
[WWW]
phermann
Prenoob

At the moment, I am equipped only to use my Korg as a midi keyboard. I am already using it with another music software (Finale 2012) and it works. Now I would like to record things via Studio One and I have got some trouble doing so.
CPhoenix
Presonoid

But the question is this.... what sounds are you trying to hear? Are you trying to hear your Korg's sounds? Or are you trying to hear sounds from S1?

Two completely different things.

When you try to record, do you see the midi notes going into the sequencer, but you're getting no sound?
Win 8.1 x64 // i7 3930K (@ 4.2GHz) // Samsung Pro 512GB // 500GB SSD (via Raid 0) // 2TB HD // 32GB RAM // Antec Kuhler 620 // Radeon HD 7870 + Radeon 5450 // MSI X79a GD45 Plus mobo// TI chipset Firewire card

DAW(s): Studio One v2.6 // Maschine Studio // Reason 7 via Rewire
Plugs: UAD 2 Quad, Softube CL 1b, Klanghelm, Toneboosters, Soundtoys, Slate VTM, Kramer Tape
Instr.: Addictive Drums, Gladiator2, Sylenth, AAS Bundle, K9U, IK Total Studio 3, Cinesamples, RealGuitar/Strat/LPC, Trilian

RME UCX // AKG c214 // SM57 + Cloudlifter CL1 // JBL LSR 4328p // FMR RNLA // Korg Kaossilator Pro // Novation 61 SL MKii // Korg MicroKey 25 // Presonus Faderport // Contour Designs Shuttle Pro

Next up: Motif XS rack
[WWW]
phermann
Prenoob

In fact, I would like to hear a piano sound but it doesn't matter to me whether I will hear exactly my Korg sound or a piano sound included in Studio One. Unfortunately, when my Korg is plugged to my PC, I don't hear nor see anything in Studio One that could be related to my playing.
hendrik84
Presonic
[Avatar]

you have to do a better job elaborating
Windows 8 64bit - Quad-core Amd 3.6Ghz - 8gb Ram - Ssd - Presonus Audiobox 22VSL - M-Audio BX5 D2 - Studio One 2 Professional
CPhoenix
Presonoid

Okay, so here's the deal.

The reason why you hear the piano in Finale is probably because it has an internal piano sound within the software that your Korg's midi is triggering. I've never used Finale, but i'm 99% confident in saying that.

So, in S1 (or any other music DAW for that matter), you need something to trigger. The simplest way is to just drag and drop a piano into the browser. S1 obviously comes with sound content (when purchased legally... smh). Just make sure you have your keyboard installed (which it sounds like you do) and the track is receiving your midi data (which it's automatically setup to do).

If you don't have the sample instruments S1 comes with... uhhhhhhh, you're pretty much pirating and I'm not gonna help you do that.
Win 8.1 x64 // i7 3930K (@ 4.2GHz) // Samsung Pro 512GB // 500GB SSD (via Raid 0) // 2TB HD // 32GB RAM // Antec Kuhler 620 // Radeon HD 7870 + Radeon 5450 // MSI X79a GD45 Plus mobo// TI chipset Firewire card

Plugs: UAD 2 Quad, Softube CL 1b, Klanghelm, Toneboosters, Soundtoys, Slate VTM, Kramer Tape
Instr.: Addictive Drums, Gladiator2, Sylenth, AAS Bundle, K9U, IK Total Studio 3, Cinesamples, RealGuitar/Strat/LPC, Trilian

RME UCX // AKG c214 // SM57 + Cloudlifter CL1 // JBL LSR 4328p // FMR RNLA // Korg Kaossilator Pro // Novation 61 SL MKii // Korg MicroKey 25 // Presonus Faderport // Contour Designs Shuttle Pro

[WWW]
alcraig
Prenoob
[Avatar]

What, if any, audio interface are you using?
How are you plugging your Korg into the computer?
Al
AudioBox 44 VSL
Dell Latitude D620
Studio One Professional

Sound Workshop 34
Sadie Artemis
Sadie Classic
Lots of vintage mics
[WWW]
brianmbremer
Presonic
[Avatar]

The Studio One 2 manual is pretty clear on how to do this. Read and follow section 4.1.1 Set Up MIDI Keyboards. Are you still having trouble after reading this? Are you on a Mac or PC?
Recording gear:
- Presonus Studio One 2
- Presonus FireStudio Project
- Blue Bluebird
- Audio Technica AT3035
- Blue Encore 100
- Audio Technica Pro 4L

MacBook Pro
- Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
- Memory: 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 256 MB

Instruments:
- Martin DC-16RGTE
- Fender American Deluxe Telecaster
- Epiphone PR-100
- Kurzweil SP88x Stage Piano
- Fender '65 Princeton Reverb Vintage Reissue
[WWW]
phermann
Prenoob

Thanks to CPhoenix, it worked!
I have a Presonus Audiobox USB and my version of Studio One came along with the Audiobox (so it is a completely legal copy!)
I am happy to hear my Korg being able to play all the sounds included in S1.
Now, I have got another question. When I click on the record icon on the left side of the track it just deselects the recording option (the button is red and turns white after clicking)
What do I have to do to be able to record what I am playing?
Many thanks to all of you helping me to start working with S1!
CPhoenix
Presonoid

^S1 is automatically setup to record. When the button is Red, you're ready to rock n roll. Just simply begin playing music. When you deselected it, you turned it off.

Any instrument you drop into S1 is ready to record right then and there. The tracks arm themselves automatically.

[WWW]

Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion
Go to: