image description

Audiobox 44VSL
  Forum Index » Pre-Sales Questions 
Author
Prenoob

I am considering moving up from my Tascam 8 track hard disc recoreder , which I can only record 2 tracks at a time , to the 44 VSL so that my blues trio can have a little more versatility when recording the drum kit. ie. giving the kit 4 individual traks. I have much to learn about DAW based recording and I'm just trying to find out if this is a good move for me. The price is in my budget so I hope that the 44vsl will do what I need which for blues is pretty basic. I believe my laptop has all the needed requirements which will make mobile recording sessions easy. Any advice will be much appreciated.
Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

What are the specs on your laptop and how many channels do you want to record simultaneously?
http://support.presonus.com

Tallest guy in the Mod Squad with all his hair still on his head.

No I'm not a freaking pilot!! The Air Force won't let me have a suit with a zipper...or sometimes shoestrings.

My advice and suggestions should never be considered advice or suggestions. These are mostly insane ramblings of a poor aircraft mechanic who can, strangely enough, still hear.

StudioLive 16.4.2, AudioBox 1818VSL, AudioBox 44VSL, Faderport, Digimax FS,, M-Audio Firewire 410
--MultiBoot System--
Win Vista 64/XP Pro/7 x86/7 x64 - Mac OSX Snow Leopard/Lion
Gigabyte motherboard--SYBA TI Firewire XIO2200A--i7 2600k Quad Core--16 GB DDR III--Custom 2U Rackmount--4 TB Raid (all internal SATA II)--19" Samsung HDMI LCD on pivoting VESA 1U Mount
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
Mojo Chillen
Prenoob

My Laptop:
Windows 7 , Intell Pentium 2.10 GHz , 4.0 GB Ram. I'm not sure what make of sound card but I have DVD-ROM drive and 452,802 MB hard disc which I believe is roughly 450GB.

Ideally I'd like to record 8 tracks at a time but 4 will do for my $300.00 budget. I've also been looking at Tascam US 800 with Cubase LE5 but a rep at Sweetwater recomended PreSonus as his prefference in my budget.

Thanks
Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

That sounds like it'll definitely get the job done for you.

And no disrespect to Cubase but Studio One is an excellent DAW and much more intuitive in my opinion.

You should be just fine.

One thing to consider though is that there is no upgrade path from the 44VSL. Unlike the Firestudio Devices you can't chain more interfaces onto it for more inputs and outputs. It has what it has and nothing more.

No I'm not a freaking pilot!! The Air Force won't let me have a suit with a zipper...or sometimes shoestrings.

My advice and suggestions should never be considered advice or suggestions. These are mostly insane ramblings of a poor aircraft mechanic who can, strangely enough, still hear.

StudioLive 16.4.2, AudioBox 1818VSL, AudioBox 44VSL, Faderport, Digimax FS,, M-Audio Firewire 410
--MultiBoot System--
Gigabyte motherboard--SYBA TI Firewire XIO2200A--i7 2600k Quad Core--16 GB DDR III--Custom 2U Rackmount--4 TB Raid (all internal SATA II)--19" Samsung HDMI LCD on pivoting VESA 1U Mount
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
Mojo Chillen
Prenoob

Thanks for all your helpful info. I'll look at the 1818 VSL also. It's more than I want to spend but it might be better in the long run.
Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

I've got both.

Biggest advantage to the 1818 is that you have an upgrade path. You start off with 8 channels of mic pres and then can add your choice of ADAT pres and have 16 channels of mic pres and still have MIDI and SPDIF if you want to use them as well.

--MultiBoot System--
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
jjjscharf
Prenoob

bluegtr13... sorry to hear you are dissapointed... but sounds like many of the issues you have outlined are with the retailer or dealer... unfortunately, some are not well educated and more snake-oil salesmen than relatively honest music/tech/ oriented. My 44VSL has been a great tool, very solid performance, and the couple times i called presonus support, they were very helpful. i have noticed that its easier to get thru to support if you call earlier in the day when they first open and start taking calls.

Mojo Chillen
Prenoob

I too am a musician and not an engineer and I have a very low tolerance of computers so I have steered clear of DAWs as long as I could. But , when I decided to finally record a serious project now in my middle years , 53 , I was faced with spending my money in the studio or buying a decent DAW and doing most of it myself. When I talked to a rep at one of the top online retailers , he pointed me in the direction of the AudioBox 1818VSL as his recomendation for me and my bands needs. So I decided to learn everything I could about it and the Studio One software. I read as much as I could here on this site , youtube , google and any other place I could get info , and I was sufficiently satisfied that this would in fact do as much as I needed and more. So I purchased the above unit and while I waited for it , I downloaded the owners manual and studied. Skipping no page and reading most of it twice. Boy did I learn a lot. Not to mention the retailer where I bought the unit gave me a free 30 day pass for the website , Groove 3 , which has very very good video tutorials about Studio One software. Once I went in and properly set all of my computers settings as described and recomended by PreSonus , and then got through the download and setup of the software . I was off to the races. My computer is a low price PC but meets the requirements of the software. Everything has been working great for me since I got it. I've never owned any other DAW software so I can't really compare it to any of them but I have worked in a studio that had Somar and I could see that a lot of the DAW world is very similar in lots of ways.
I suspect that the problems of system crashes that I saw reported may be caused by the computers settings to automatically go into sleep mode after a period of time which my computer did right out of the box. This is where I think it is very important to read the article on this site about setting up your computer to work with DAWs. If I can do it , truely , anyone can. For me , I decided to spend ample time learning as much as I could about the DAW recording process so that I could be comfortable with it and then get back to the music.
Good luck and Thanks PreSonus.
cristofe
Presonoid
[Avatar]

As far as the software goes either Cubase or Studio One will get the job done. In fact, Studio One and Cubase share many similarities as some of the same developers worked on both of them. The hardware is another matter. First off the US-800 allows you to record SIX tracks simultaneously as opposed to just FOUR with the 44VSL. Also the Tascam's drivers and control panel are MUCH lighter on CPU and RAM. I find the VSL software to be a resource hog....but Presonus claims that an update is in the works that will address this and other issues.

That being said......

The minimum stated specs, company literature regarding what the VSL software can and cannot do and the dealers themselves are all misleading.

I bought the 1818VSL on recommendations from a dealer. I SPECIFICALLY requested a suggestion for a multitrack USB audio interface that I could use with my netbook for live recording. I had been using a Tascam US800 with the netbook with no problems but it died and I needed a replacement fast! I KNOW that either a Tascam US2000 or M-Audio Ultra 8R would have worked just fine with my netbook. BUT the sales rep steered my to the 1818 with tales of VSL icing on a rock solid cake. I was promised it would fill my immediate needs. It did not.

They KNEW I was running a netbook with an Atom. As I've posted before on these forums , my Tascam US800 worked just fine. I was going to buy a Tascam US2000 but they were out of stock so they talked me into the 1818 citing compatibility with my system, rock solid drivers, DSP FX, (as in reverb & delay), & great preamps. It turned out that only the last statement was true. I spent so much time tweaking and tweazing that it became too late to return it. There are some things I like about it BUT in order to use it I had to build an ENTIRE NEW SYSTEM with a different laptop. I just wish that I could have used it for the REASON I bought it as I was led to believe I could by the dealer. BUT I have used my netbook with Tascam, Roland, Alesis AND M-Audio interfaces and had zero problems with any of them. The 1818 is the only interface out of MANY that would not play nice with it. And, as you may well know, I am not alone. I realize that the Atom is underpowered. I realize that there are many hardware and software devices I cannot use with it. My entire point here is that, IMHO, the dealers are misinformed and the literature does not make some aspects of exactly what the 1818 & VSL software can and cannot do clear. And again, I am not alone in that opinion. Just have a look at other posts on these forums.

This is, of course, partly my own fault. I shouldn't have simply relied on Presonus literature and dealer spiel.

I should have spent time on Presonus' and other audio forums before making my purchase but I was crunched for time. I've accepted the fact that the 1818 cannot fill the niche that I was PROMISED it could. I've moved on and built an entire new rig AROUND it. But now I'm still going to have to buy another interface to use with my netbook....needless to say I'm a bit less than ecstatic over this experience.

As I've also stated before I don't like, want or need the VSL software. Perhaps as I try to find more uses for the 1818 I may change my mind BUT I bought it because I simply wanted to replace the multitrack Tascam interface
that worked just fine with my netbook. I was misled and the response from Presonus was that I needed to buy a better computer.

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon Processors, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2
HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz Processor, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro
HP Compaq NC6320 Laptop Intel Core2Duo 2.0Ghz Processor 3GB RAM Win7 Ult
Dell Latitude E4310 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz Processor 4GB RAM Win7 Pro x32

Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & FP10 Firewire, Steinberg MI4 USB, Line 6 Toneport GX & PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's

DAWS/VST Hosts: S1 Professional, Plogue Bidule, Xlutop Chainer, Sieb VSTHost & Savihost

Hardware Synthesizers: Roland SH-32 & XV-3080 RedSound Darkstar XP2, Novation X-Station, Yamaha AN200, M-Audio Venom

Hardware Controllers: JL Cooper CS-10 Control Surface, Yamaha EZ-EG, Dillion Les Paul style acoustic electric guitar with Roland GK-3 pickup and GI-20 converter.

The Rest: Guitars, Amps, Stompboxes, Mics, Outboard Gear, VST plugins...too much to list!
[WWW]

Forum Index » Pre-Sales Questions
Go to: