image description

Problems with AudioBox and Recording
  Forum Index » AudioBox VSL General Discussion 
Author
Prenoob

I just set up my Presonus AudioBox USB Audio Interface with my Samson C01 Studio Condenser mic on a fresh installation of Windows 7 (AudioBox drivers up to date - 32 bit). I had previously used it on Windows XP without any problems.

Now that I have it installed on Windows 7, I have ran into a few (big) problems that have stopped me from recording.

Problems:
1. Recording quality is blatantly staticy, crackly and poppy despite having the AudioBox USB Audio Interface settings turned all the way down. It is picking up and over amplifying every little sound. (It is much worse when turned all the way up, of course.). Did not have this problem when running Windows XP.
2. Only able to record in stereo channel, even when selecting to record in mono and only records the right channel.
3. AudioBox USB is not recognized by the Presonus Studio One Artist Software.

Drivers? I have all of the drivers up to date and working correctly, except for the "PCI Bridge" driver, which I cannot get to work.

Equipment? The AudioBox and Microphone worked fine when running Windows XP.

I do not want to have to uninstall Windows 7 and reinstall Windows XP.

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/02/2012 12:28:04

themuzic
Baconator
[Avatar]

First and foremost, are you running everything with Administrator rights? Every recording related shortcut needs to be given Administrator rights to work properly. It doesn't do it automatically, even if you're login is an administrator. You must right click on each icon that you will use (DAW, Interface driver apps ect.....) and goto policies and select "Run as administrator.

See the video clip below and do this for all music related shortcuts.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/02/2012 20:10:00

http://www.homestudiotrainer.webs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/themuzic
Email - homestudiotrainer@yahoo.com
Skype - themuzic
Phone - 773-303-7260
I offer FREE assistance for Studio One (any version) and Presonus hardware, to anyone having issues or anyone who simply wants to learn

Gateway Tower - Intel Core i5 3330 CPU 3GHz 8GB Ram and 64bit Windows 8
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!]
DillonCallaway
Prenoob

I tried that, it did not work. Same outcome. Staticy, crackly, poppy sounds when recording still. That is my biggest problem. I could care less whether or not Studio One recognized the AudioBox, my main problem is the recording quality. It was never like this before when running Windows XP. Any other ideas? Thanks for the help.
themuzic
Baconator
[Avatar]

DillonCallaway wrote:I tried that, it did not work. Same outcome. Staticy, crackly, poppy sounds when recording still. That is my biggest problem. I could care less whether or not Studio One recognized the AudioBox, my main problem is the recording quality. It was never like this before when running Windows XP. Any other ideas? Thanks for the help.

What do you have the Latency set at? On most systems you can't go below 256 with the VSL units

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/02/2012 01:52:05

Skype - themuzic
Phone - 773-303-7260
I offer FREE assistance for Studio One (any version) and Presonus hardware, to anyone having issues or anyone who simply wants to learn

[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!]
DillonCallaway
Prenoob

Right now I am using Audacity to test it out. I cannot do what you suggested because Studio One still does not recognize the AudioBox USB, well it recognizes it but it says "failed to initialize" when attempting to use it as an audio device in the options menu. I am getting blatant static and popping sounds when recording in Audacity, even when the AudioBox gain knobs are turned all the way down. I have tried to configure the settings in Audacity to no avail. Again, thank you so much for helping.

***I noticed your screenshot of the AudioBox VSL setup screen! How did you get into that? I am using the AudioBox USB and have never seen that screen before. I have the AudioBox setup disc but I have never seen a program like that. If the AudioBox USB has that program, where do I find it on my computer?***

****It also says "the audio device Presonus USB has failed to start correctly when trying to select it in Studio One.***

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 03/02/2012 02:21:59

themuzic
Baconator
[Avatar]

DillonCallaway wrote:Right now I am using Audacity to test it out. I cannot do what you suggested because Studio One still does not recognize the AudioBox USB, well it recognizes it but it says "failed to initialize" when attempting to use it as an audio device in the options menu. I am getting blatant static and popping sounds when recording in Audacity, even when the AudioBox gain knobs are turned all the way down. I have tried to configure the settings in Audacity to no avail. Again, thank you so much for helping.

***I noticed your screenshot of the AudioBox VSL setup screen! How did you get into that? I am using the AudioBox USB and have never seen that screen before. I have the AudioBox setup disc but I have never seen a program like that. If the AudioBox USB has that program, where do I find it on my computer?***

****It also says "the audio device Presonus USB has failed to start correctly when trying to select it in Studio One.***

No, no. You don't make this change in Studio One EVER!!! The graphic above is the VSL software and the only place where latency settings should be adjusted. Not in the DAW, in the Interface's actual software.

Skype - themuzic
Phone - 773-303-7260

[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!]
DillonCallaway
Prenoob

Well apparently the AudioBox USB does not have software for the interface. When I ran the AudioBox USB setup disc all it installed were the drivers, not the Interface software.
themuzic
Baconator
[Avatar]

DillonCallaway wrote:Well apparently the AudioBox USB does not have software for the interface. When I ran the AudioBox USB setup disc all it installed were the drivers, not the Interface software.

Yes, even the old Audiobox USB has an applet to adjust latency and such. I have it on my smaller Shuttle machine.

Skype - themuzic
Phone - 773-303-7260

[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!]
themuzic
Baconator
[Avatar]

The only way to open up the applet is by using the "Control Panel" button inside your DAW when the audiobox USB is selected.

Skype - themuzic
Phone - 773-303-7260

[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!]
skip jones
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Hate to be obvious, but are you using an AudioboxVSL USB interface or Audiobox USB? Different animals. Do you have a desktop icon that looks (for lack of a better term) like USB Man (or the guy with the cardboard box on his head from LMFAO).

If you could post your system specs in your signature it would help get you sorted out.

Skip
http://support.presonus.com/home

Windows 7 X 32 (SP1) : AMD Phenom II X 4 945
ATI Radeon 5450 / 512 RAM
8GB RAM/1T SATA 7200 RPM

PreSonus StudioLive 16.4.2, PreSonus FireStudio Project, PreSonus ABVSL 44, PreSonus ABVSL 1818, PreSonus Faderport

Yamaha S-08
Studio partner - Jack Russell named "Skooter"
PreSonus Studio One Professional 2.6.2
Fishman Triple Play / Logidy pedal
DillonCallaway
Prenoob

I figured it all out! It was the drivers I had installed. For some reason the updated drivers I installed from the Presonus website were the culprit. I uninstalled them, unplugged the AudioBox USB and plugged it back in so the default drivers could install and it is finally producing clear audio when I playback/record. The only problem now is that it is "cutting" out small parts of the audio that I can notice when I playback, but this is due to the slow processor I am using while running Windows 7. I have the minimum requirements for Windows 7 on my PC (1GH,1GB), but not enough for it to run up to par. I am going to switch out this processor (sempron) for a faster one (athlon) and see how that goes. But if all else fails, I can just re-install Windows XP on the PC. I really like Windows 7 though.

Thank you all for your help.

DillonCallaway
Prenoob

SOLUTION (If you are running Windows XP/Vista/7 and having this problem:
Uninstall all Presonus AudioBox USB drivers, whether you downloaded them from the website or the Presonus AudioBox USB setup disc, then unplug then replug your AudioBox USB back into your PC.

It should now show "AudioBox Analog Controller" under "Playback" and "Recording" Devices.

NOTE: This may not be the right fix but it is a quick and stable fix, it worked for me.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/02/2012 06:22:08

jsp73
Prenoob

Hi,

I'm trying to record through windows 7 on my laptop, into Adobe Audition. All I'm getting is static and it appears that the computer mic is recording rather than recording through the usb audio box and into the hand-held studio mic.

What do I do? My partner and I have been at this setup all day now and we are going around in circles. Please help us!

Thank you so much,

Julie

PS: We have done everything that is stated above, with no joy!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/04/2012 18:47:42

Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

Julie,
Are you by chance plugged into a USB 3 port instead of a USB 2?

Also, to make sure your system is registering the audiobox, does it show up in device manager (assuming windows)
http://support.presonus.com

Tallest guy in the Mod Squad with all his hair still on his head.

No I'm not a freaking pilot!! The Air Force won't let me have a suit with a zipper...or sometimes shoestrings.

My advice and suggestions should never be considered advice or suggestions. These are mostly insane ramblings of a poor aircraft mechanic who can, strangely enough, still hear.

StudioLive 16.4.2, AudioBox 1818VSL, AudioBox 44VSL, Faderport, Digimax FS,, M-Audio Firewire 410
--MultiBoot System--
Win Vista 64/XP Pro/7 x86/7 x64 - Mac OSX Snow Leopard/Lion
Gigabyte motherboard--SYBA TI Firewire XIO2200A--i7 2600k Quad Core--16 GB DDR III--Custom 2U Rackmount--4 TB Raid (all internal SATA II)--19" Samsung HDMI LCD on pivoting VESA 1U Mount
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
albertino smith
Prenoob

My audiobox usb interface is not reading in studio one artist anymore for some reason but it will pick on audobe audition?

Forum Index » AudioBox VSL General Discussion
Go to: