image description

Playback computer audio through firewire?
  Forum Index » 24.4.2 
Author
Prenoob

I'm the Dir. of Tech./Sound guy at my church, and we very recently got the PreSonus 24.4.2.

We regularly play videos from our computer, and the videos nearly always has audio accompanying them. We USE to connect the computer's audio to our former board by 1/8" to 1/4", but there was always a slight buzz, and a TERRIBLE amount of interference. This interference ONLY occurred when the sancuary was filled with bodies/cell phones. This became a huge monster to deal with anyway, but with newly installed G4 cell towers in the area, it was decided to cancel ALL audio/videos being played from the computer until there was a fix.

A realy niftey thing about our former board was that there was a USB connection, controlled by a fader and everything. Once I configured the computer to play audio out of USB, our interference problem was fixed. I figure due to the audio signal being digital all the way through. Once we did all this, ALL of the computer's audio would come through interference clean.

However, now that we have the PreSonus 24.4.2, our only option for a digital connection between the comp and board is firewire. I understand that you can play back recorded audio with the included PreSonus software, but I'm not aware if you can play the computer's general audio (as in, what you would hear through the headphone jack, PreSonus or not).

Is there a way to play any and all computer audio through the firewire? Preferrably routing it to a fader? That would be supreme.

Thank you,
Ryan
arnoldsq
Presonic
[Avatar]

I dont have a system in front of me to answer with exact steps of how to do this, but the mac mini we use at our church I was able to set the computer audio output in system settings to the firestudio. after that in universal control setup I routed computer audio to chanels 1 and 2 hard panned.
[WWW]
sjpaul
Presonic
[Avatar]

You can set up the computer to run program's such as windows media player, Winamp, etc., using the PreSonus driver. They will come into the SL via the tape in knob once you press the corresponding FireWire button for that. I can't recall off the top of my head, but you may also be able to route it to channels 1 and 2 instead of the tape in..... This would obviously give you control of the computer sound via faders.
Studiolive 24.4.2, MacBook Pro 2.8GHz dual core running VSL and Capture.
Linksys E4200 dual band router. iPad 2 running SL remote.
Running Nexo PS speakers and processing.
wally
Presonic
[Avatar]

Ryan I just went through this setup with my new mac. I found a post that explains it. Do a search for it cause I may miss something.

Under the Mac System Preferences goto Hardware-Sound and set up where you want you Output routed ( I think you have to be connected to the board for it to show up in the list). By default it will use Channels 1 and 2. You can change this in Launch Pad - Utilities - Audio MIDI setup... again you need to be connected to the board because these settings seem to have disappeard from my mac when it's not connected.

good luck!!
Wally

edit I just read your post again... I assumed you were using a mac, but you didn't really say. In Windows the routing is done with Universal Control under one of the meuns, but I can't remember the title.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/01/2012 01:26:40

MacBook Pro 17", i7, 8Gig, 7200rpm HDD
StudioLive 24.4.2, Firestudio Mobile, Faderport
Studio One Pro, Capture, Logic Pro X
Rode NT2-A, Shure Beta52, SM57's, SM58's
Sennheiser e614's
Tascam VL-A5 Monitors
IPAD2, iPhone 4S
SwitchBack
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to these forums. So the answer to your question is yes, it can be done with ease once you've got the firewire connection up and running.

Only... getting the firewire connection up and running can be a bit of a job. The link has to be absolutely stable or you will suffer audio dropouts not just from video playback but from the entire mixer. To get the interfacing right you need the right type of firewire chipset/interface card in your computer, and the computer needs to be prepped as an audio workstation to make sure it doesn't drop the ball. But once you've got it right the benefits are great!

In the interfacing department Macs seem to be easier than PCs. For both platforms there's a lot of helpful people around. You've come to the right place.
mamerica
Presonic
[Avatar]

I am pretty sure that the default is to route the Mackbook sound to channels 1&2. You should hear it when the "Y"Firewire Button is engaged on 1&2
StudioLive 24.4.2
StudioLive 16.4.2
Allen & Heath QU-16
MacBook Pro
StudioLive Offline Editor
Furman P-1800 AR 15-amp Power Conditioner and Voltage Regulator
Apple iPad
Outboard Gear:
Oh Wait! I don't need any outboard gear!
[WWW]
sjpaul
Presonic
[Avatar]

If its a pc you're using, go into PreSonus Universal Control and in "settings" under WDM settings you can drag the assignments to which channels on studiolive that you want them to play through IIRC....
Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

sjpaul is correct. 17/18 are the returns to the tape/firewire knob.
http://support.presonus.com

Tallest guy in the Mod Squad with all his hair still on his head.

No I'm not a freaking pilot!! The Air Force won't let me have a suit with a zipper...or sometimes shoestrings.

My advice and suggestions should never be considered advice or suggestions. These are mostly insane ramblings of a poor aircraft mechanic who can, strangely enough, still hear.

StudioLive 16.4.2, AudioBox 1818VSL, AudioBox 44VSL, Faderport, Digimax FS,, M-Audio Firewire 410
--MultiBoot System--
Win Vista 64/XP Pro/7 x86/7 x64 - Mac OSX Snow Leopard/Lion
Gigabyte motherboard--SYBA TI Firewire XIO2200A--i7 2600k Quad Core--16 GB DDR III--Custom 2U Rackmount--4 TB Raid (all internal SATA II)--19" Samsung HDMI LCD on pivoting VESA 1U Mount
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
SwitchBack
Presonoid
[Avatar]

25/26 on the SL24.4.2
Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

That's it...I quit!! I can't remember anything anymore.

Woooops! Already forgot that I quit.

Thanks for the backup Switch. I forgot what forum I was reading.
http://support.presonus.com

Tallest guy in the Mod Squad with all his hair still on his head.

No I'm not a freaking pilot!! The Air Force won't let me have a suit with a zipper...or sometimes shoestrings.

My advice and suggestions should never be considered advice or suggestions. These are mostly insane ramblings of a poor aircraft mechanic who can, strangely enough, still hear.

StudioLive 16.4.2, AudioBox 1818VSL, AudioBox 44VSL, Faderport, Digimax FS,, M-Audio Firewire 410
--MultiBoot System--
Win Vista 64/XP Pro/7 x86/7 x64 - Mac OSX Snow Leopard/Lion
Gigabyte motherboard--SYBA TI Firewire XIO2200A--i7 2600k Quad Core--16 GB DDR III--Custom 2U Rackmount--4 TB Raid (all internal SATA II)--19" Samsung HDMI LCD on pivoting VESA 1U Mount
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
SwitchBack
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Funny what too much shellfish can do to the brain Ah, fond memories...
ironorr84
Prenoob

Wow thanks for the kind and quick replies everyone.

Also, dummy me, I know darn well that when you ask a question on a forum that has anything to do with computers, you're suppose to include specs. Sorry fellas.

It's a PC, running Windows 7. 8 cores, 8gigs of ram, a good bit of HDD too. You know, the almost standard. I've gone through and optimized to the PreSonus recommendations too.

I just got in, so I'm gonna head over and try your recommendations.

Thanks again!
Ryan~
sjpaul
Presonic
[Avatar]

Hey Ryan....

Just a thought... You've probably already done this, but be sure to switch off Windows sounds. It's never nice to have one of those error alert tones played through the PA system!
MikeRivers
Presonoid
[Avatar]

ironorr84 wrote:
Also, dummy me, I know darn well that when you ask a question on a forum that has anything to do with computers, you're suppose to include specs.

Actually, it's not as important to include specs of your computer in a message as it is for you to understand what's important. Most problems with computer audio aren't related to inadequate "basic" computer performance and more related to little fiddly things that you can't read off a data sheet. (or maybe obvious things like your computer doesn't have a Firewire port).

Don't you wish everybody did?
Visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com for some useful audio info
"It's much easier to look for a magic solution than it is to adapt to reality." - Allan Sloan
[WWW]
ironorr84
Prenoob

Eh, that was just something kinda embedded in me. Being the "Techy Nerd" our secretary lovingly puts it, if there's something I need to go to a forum for help, and it somehow includes a computer, it was just always a good idea to put in specs right from the beginning...

Also, turning off Windows sounds...that's a great idea

Alrighty gentlemen, I'm here at the sound board and the computer, and realized that after I launch Universal Control, it never gives me the Launch Window...it goes straight to the sound board interface. I never get the chance to go to Settings>WDM setup. And I can't figure out how to force it to the Launch Window. I even uninstalled Universal Control and reinstalled, but it still never shows the Launch Window. Am I missing something?

I promise, I'm not a newb at computers either, lol!

Forum Index » 24.4.2
Go to: